Dish close to entering wireless market?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Exclusive: Dish plans ‘big’ foray into wireless business, document says http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclu...reless-business--document-says-004017589.html
Network (DISH) is planning to become the only provider to offer wireless voice, video and data services, Yahoo Finance has learned.The No. 2 U.S. satellite television provider shocked the wireless industry earlier this year when it scored almost half of the spectrum licenses offered in a U.S. government auction. Other players were more traditional telecommunications providers, such as AT&T (T), Verizon Communications (VZ) and T-Mobile (TMUS). Dish is estimated to own about $50 billion in wireless spectrum, according to Bloomberg.Now, the Englewood, Colorado-based company’s ambitions are coming into clearer focus. A document obtained by Yahoo indicates Dish is seeking a chief marketing officer to help guide its move into the fiercely competitive wireless space.“We are preparing for something big,” the document said, later proclaiming, “This is an incredibly exciting time in our history. We have reinvented ourselves in the past and we are preparing to do it again.”The document that is labeled “confidential,” goes on to say the new CMO “will be an integral part of the team that changes entertainment forever as Dish enters the wireless business and becomes the only provider that can offer wireless voice, video and data.”The individual will report to COO Bernie Han, and will also work closely with CEO Charlie Ergen, the document said. It’s unclear exactly what will come of current CMO James Moorhead.Dish representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the matter.

Charlie better hurry up and use that bandwith he has accumulated by 2017 or he lose it all. Hell, he better get it going now and at the rate he is losing subs to their main sat service DISH. They lost 300,000 subs since last year at this time. IF that rate stays constant this year they will be slightly over 13 million subs by next year at this time. Long term projections don't look good if they keep losing subs at this rate.

Its about time for the Dish/T-Mobile merger talk to begin again after reading that the FCC is probably going to approvre the AT&T/Directv merger.

Well now that you mention it... T-Mobile executives (CFO & CTO) made comments that they would be open to a merger.... Hmmm...

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...ers-now-cover-280-million-pops-lte/2015-05-14

Following the collapse of Sprint's attempt to merge with T-Mobile, speculation has now turned to a potential combination of Dish and T-Mobile. In his comments, Ray noted that Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has a strong mid-band spectrum portfolio that has better propagation characteristics than Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum. However, he noted that T-Moville already has a very strong mid-band spectrum portfolio and has 12,000 Distributed Antenna System nodes, so it is not in desperate need of capacity.

Carter said that T-Mobile would seriously evaluate any deal that could benefit T-Mobile shareholders. "We have a fiduciary responsibility to evaluate any strategic opportunity, and if it increases shareholder value in excess of what we see on a standalone basis, it would be something we would very much be inclined to do," he said.

Pretty coy comments - they have good spectrum but we have it to, so maybe, but only if we can make money off the deal...

Just wondering, what would the speeds be like with the bandwith he has?

I am asking about Broadband speeds.

Last edited:
IIRC they plan on using some of that spectrum for a one to many broadcast-like streaming video service. Has anybody else tried that?

I agree Claude, however, I suspect they could offer 250GB data plans, 50Mpbs speeds guaranteed, and good prices, and you'd still find something wrong with it because it's from Dish ;)

You know I will.

I will say this, I sell comcast and several of the major cable providers like Time Warner and Charter. and they do things super simple and easy.

You call to order TV and want internet it's as simple as checking another box on the ordering screen.

The problem with Dish is that they are going to want a 2 year contract, data caps, and right to your first born child.

We shall see, but if dish thinks they are going to compete with comcast they are not going to win.

Besides, dish had a ton on wireless spectrum 4 years ago when I used to work with them. Here we are 4 years later and still nothing.

Even Directv now becoming a part of ATT will not cut it. The whole uverse internet ordering process is too difficult.

The problem with Dish is that they are going to want a 2 year contract, data caps, and right to your first born child.

Comcast has contracts also, I have one with them and I am glad I do, my price is set for 2 years at $106 a month for Extreme 105, HBO, MAX, Showtime and all the cable channels I want with a X1 and a HD DTA BOX.

As far as Data Caps go, they are in certain Comcast areas, all in areas were there is no competition and they are quite low in my opinion ( my usage is always 400-500gb a month, if broadband was the only way I would watch TV, I would be over 1TB a month.

Hopefully with Cox setting their caps at 2TB with their fastest speed and I think FIOS is at 10TB a month, Comcast will get the idea to raise theirs.

We shall see, but if dish thinks they are going to compete with comcast they are not going to win.

Besides, dish had a ton on wireless spectrum 4 years ago when I used to work with them. Here we are 4 years later and still nothing.

There are also too many unanswered questions, like no one answer can answer how fast the speed will be with this spectrum, if only 50, that will not be enough, Comcast is upgrading Extreme to 150 in my area next month and they are promising 1 gig speed to 18 million homes by the end of the year.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Comcast has contracts also, I have one with them and I am glad I do, my price is set for 2 years at $106 a month for Extreme 105, HBO, MAX, Showtime and all the cable channels I want with a X1 and a HD DTA BOX.

As far as Data Caps go, they are in certain Comcast areas, all in areas were there is no competition and they are quite low in my opinion ( my usage is always 400-500gb a month, if broadband was the only way I would watch TV, I would be over 1TB a month.

Hopefully with Cox setting their caps at 2TB with their fastest speed and I think FIOS is at 10TB a month, Comcast will get the idea to raise theirs.

There are also too many unanswered questions, like no one answer can answer how fast the speed will be with this spectrum, if only 50, that will not be enough, Comcast is upgrading Extreme to 150 in my area next month and they are promising 1 gig speed to 18 million homes by the end of the year.

I sell comcast. 95% of everything we sell Is with no contract.

But the contract you have is great, because your getting a 2 year prove guarantee unlike with dish and directv where you pay full price in the second year.

As far as the data caps with comcast in some areas, it's so high it's only effecting the 1% that abuse the system and use the data 100 customers would use on s regular month.

You know I will.

I will say this, I sell comcast and several of the major cable providers like Time Warner and Charter. and they do things super simple and easy.

You call to order TV and want internet it's as simple as checking another box on the ordering screen.

Even Directv now becoming a part of ATT will not cut it. The whole uverse internet ordering process is too difficult.

Dish's only shot at using that wireless Spectrum is T-Mobile. Plus think to combine phone and tv together would be great. Comcast is testing data caps now in certain markets and it's not going over well. Only way for Dish to compete with comcast is offer a better price without caps.

What about the millions of underserved rural areas (I live in one where 4.0/512 is the fastest available, and it doesn't work well, usually much slower) I would definitely change to a Dish broadband service with a reasonable data cap. There are hundreds of thousands of rural areas where broadband is not available. Perhaps they can offer services to these areas and not compete directly with Comcast. What most people fail to remember is that not everyone, and, certainly A LOT of Dish customers, live in urban and suburban areas.

Last edited:
dont forget ping time unless someone ha come up with a way to exceed the speed of light:)

Dish will probably try broadband, ad it will be cheap.

till they add in all the fees..... dish hurt themselves badly when they created and raised all those fees. the proof it hurt?

since that sticking it to the customers their sub count has mostly gone down, while direct tvs has increased consistently

Or the channel take downs, or the Sunday ticket, or the HD Lite, or many other variances. Dish still delivers what they say they would and to the party they would. Lowest cost leader on everyday programming. There is a bit for everybody but if you want specifics you generally won't find at Dish. They are more the leader in innovative equipment.

What about the millions of underserved rural areas (I live in one where 4.0/512 is the fastest available, and it doesn't work well, usually much slower) I would definitely change to a Dish broadband service with a reasonable data cap. There are hundreds of thousands of rural areas where broadband is not available. Perhaps they can offer services to these areas and not compete directly with Comcast. What most people fail to remember is that not everyone, and, certainly A LOT of Dish customers, live in urban and suburban areas.

The problem is that the broadband companies can't make any money in the underserved areas, or they would have been wired years ago.

Satellite internet covers most of the US but not cheaply and with low caps. I am lucky in that a WISP sprang up in my area with reasonable speed and no caps, but not really cheap, so was able to get away from satellite internet. I will wait and see what Dish does, but won't hold my breath, it will be awhile, I would think.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts