What's up with Encore HD...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

space86

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I just turned on the Original Die Hard Movie on Encore HD and the
movie is being Pillar Boxed?

Yep I was going to rerecord it on Encore HD a few weeks ago to replace the mpeg 2 copy I had from HBO. Lucky I didn't delete the HBO copy first! I noticed Alien too being 4x3. Fortunately one of my favorites Animal House was in HD.

Usually, the Guide listing for Encore-HD reports " (HD) " for ones in true HD and do not show that symbol when it is SD.

Although, there are sometimes errors in the listings.

Virtually all of the HD channels show some movies in SD when they do not happen to be available to the channel in HD.

IIRC, HD-Net and HDNet-Movies are the only channels that never show any SD programming.

Cinemax HD I believe moved to only HD a few months ago as well.

But they do have SD movies on their HD channels in the Cinemax suite of channels - they do make a point of removing the " (HD) " designation then in the listing.

There are some good movies that are not yet transferred to HD that are still worth showing - I don't mind as long as they identify them correctly in the listings.

Actually, HDNet Movies did show one, fairly recently, that was pillar-boxed..."Duel". I was surprised to see it that way on that channel, but as I recall, Spielberg shot it for tv and so no widescreen version exists (presumably).

"Abyss" is another movie that EncoreHD doesn't have an HD version of...

Encore has a lot of SD on the HD channel but so far all have lacked the (HD) marking.
I have recorded and noted the following 4x3 movies on "HD" channels--

Max: Sunset Blvd., Thank You for Smoking
Encor: Aliens, Die Hard, Rain Man, Shut Up & Sing, The Last Temptation of Christ
DisE: Monsters
TDis: Aladdin
HBO: Snake Pit
HDNet Movies: Duel
Bravo: Say Anything, The French Connection (to be fixed on Sunday's 5-max)
Sho: Big Nothing
?lost: Paths of Glory, Spartacus (most times)

Classics (or as noted Duel) are understandable as they went to the theater (or TV) that way but more modern are just laziness especially Encore and Bravo. In fact, some pre-1930 movies are 1:1 aspect.

My second thought is that had I been more careful and recorded them in SD they would have been half the size for the same quality because they were just up-converted.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts