What's Up With The Lack Of 3D Broadcasting

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pretty much how I feel about it. Let me buy a new expensive tv that I have to wear some glasses everytime I want to watch something. I'm not looking to go back to the 80's, really feels out of place with other current technology asking someone to wear glasses.

That's the problem right there: "Hey gang, everybody put your goofy-glasses on, the show's about to start!" :eek: NOT...
TV went from black & white to color, and from SD to HD, without having to wear something special to see it.
Until, and IF, 3D will work without those glasses, it's just another passing fad. Look this thread up in a year......:rolleyes:

Too much money invested in the future of 3D for it to be allowed to fail. For 2012 Panasonic has 4 lines of plasma TV's that are 3D and Samsung has 15 3D models, and LG has 17 3D models. Throw in Sony, Vizio, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, and Sharp. Disney, ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, TNT, Universal, Paramount, Pixar, Warner Bros. That's no passing fad, that's the future. Even in this thread people are talking about their new 3D TV's and how surprised they are at how much they really like them. Today I see a major brand 3D blu-ray player for $99. It's not just in the USA. The London 2012 Olympics will have 1000 hours broadcast live from Eurosport and SKY 3D. That might not mean anything to us over here but it's huge in Europe.

Last edited:
A $99 3d blue ray player is good but not maney of us want to shell out almost 1k or more for a 3d set and if you need mire than the 2 glasses in the box you be spending sometimes another $65 or more per pair. Its just not going to grow more untill prices come down

A $99 3d blue ray player is good but not maney of us want to shell out almost 1k or more for a 3d set and if you need mire than the 2 glasses in the box you be spending sometimes another $65 or more perpair. Its just not going to grow more untill prices come down
You can buy a under $800 40+" set from Wal Mart that uses the same glasses that you use & dispose of at the theater...

It IS much more expensive too shoot a movie or series in 3D. If you read some of the annual stock reports from television manufactures such as Sony who reported a backlog of 3D televisions as consumers just arent buying them., which was expected as there is not enough programming. Smart televisions are out selling 3D a staggering 9-1 ratio. Most network series have a hard time budgeting programming let alone doing them in 3D. A typical weekly series
shot in 3D adds about $3.5 million to the cost of shooting it. Most experts predict 3D will be slow to the market and may not produce enough interest to keep it viable .

It is much more $$$ to shoot a series in 3D for the same reason it was more expensive to shoot a series in HD compared to SD a short 10 years ago. Camera cost. Sports led the way with HD, especially ESPN because they saw the advantages of an HD quality picture and they new that sports fans (fanatics) would demand that quality once they experienced it. Broadcast companies like ABC insisted that HD would never catch on right up to the time they implemented it. Sony's reports mention a back log of TV's not just 3D TV's. All TV manufactures over estimated sales in 2011. As far as 3D TV's being so expensive, right now you can buy a 50" Panasonic plasma for under $1K. Most experts predict? Content content content is the fly in the 3D ointment. As much as sports kicked HD into high gear it still took studio series like NCIS, House, etc to administer the final push to mainstream acceptance. That same push will be needed for 3D also. Maybe it won't come but I think it will. Just my opinion.

Scott Greczkowski said:
*** RUMOR ALERT *** Look for some 3D this Summer from NBC on DISH... :)

Will our current receivers be able to receive this, or will we be forced into an upgrade? If yes, than this will be great.

All the talk of hardware choices is completely pointless if there isn't compelling software. There isn't enough 3D content to support a channel. That one carrier or another carries a channel doesn't make it any more compelling or significant. I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on what the distributors are doing if the producers aren't giving them much to distribute.

When (and if) new and compelling 3D content becomes available on a regular basis (i.e. more than three hours a week), we can talk. The fact that a couple of channels exist is not a sign that it is worth watching or viable in the long term. As has been hinted, the number of 3D linear channels may decrease rather than increase in the short term.

Scott Greczkowski said:
*** RUMOR ALERT *** Look for some 3D this Summer from NBC on DISH... :)[/QUOTE.

Scott, how strong is this rumor? If the rumor is true, will we need to upgrade our receivers or packages to receive it in 3d?

You can buy a under $800 40+" set from Wal Mart that uses the same glasses that you use & dispose of at the theater...
Still gotta wear those glasses though. And you have to have enough for everyone in your household and maybe a few extra for guests. And then you have to make sure where they are. That's still too much of a hassle for the average person. I agree with the sentiment that until there is glasses-free 3D, it won't become popular.

Intel has announced the new Tri-Gate Transmitter. A 3D chip that performs 37% better than current chips and at a power consumption 50% less.

Mochuf said:
Still gotta wear those glasses though. And you have to have enough for everyone in your household and maybe a few extra for guests. And then you have to make sure where they are. That's still too much of a hassle for the average person. I agree with the sentiment that until there is glasses-free 3D, it won't become popular.

Why is it that anytime someone asks a question about 3d, the haters come on and try to put it down. I really don't care if you like it or not. Let people get answers to their questions without all the opinions thrown in. As anti as some are, others embrace the new technology.

Why is it that anytime someone asks a question about 3d, the haters come on and try to put it down. I really don't care if you like it or not. Let people get answers to their questions without all the opinions thrown in. As anti as some are, others embrace the new technology.
Not haters, realists. There are some among us that think all it takes is a magic wand to make all their dreams come true. And they are dreaming.

Last edited:
I took it as the guy was wondering when Dish would continue to let DIRECTV be the 3D leader (which it is, I have both systems) ;) my last word in this thread as it will end up like all the rest that mention 3D outside of the 3D & DIRECTV forums...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)