What's Up With The Lack Of 3D Broadcasting

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My prediction: this will not succeed for one simple reason. You can't move your head more than about 1/2 the distance between your eyes before you spoil the 3D effect! The 9 "sweet spots" must be very narrow or they won't work to present different pictures to your two eyes.

You may be correct but the only hope that I have that you're not correct is that Toshiba agrees with you and has come up with a fix. Considering the money they must have invested.

I have been a 15 year subscriber to Dish. Over those years I have spent about $30,000 in programing charges and about $4000 in equipment costs( receivers( 3 bought and 5 leased) ,EHDs, OTA( antennas and wiring installation) and 2 Dish HDTVs). Other than cars and housing it is my highest costs of living. I made the decision to go with Dish when they were the innovators. In my market they are now way behind Directv. The don't have HD locals here. They don't have 3D channels. Their new Hopper receiver's Prime time record feature is useless without local HD and it doesn't support OTA so we cannot record locals in HD at all. I am stuck with Dish due to my high investment cost in them and EHD content. However, when anybody in my area asks about tv suppliers , I never recommend Dish, anymore. I now have 12 neighbors who have 3DTV and are long time Dish customers. As I mentioned in another thread we have a swap group for 3D content. We all disagree wth 3D nay sayers. We love our 3D and would subscribe to 3D channels. Many times when the movie industry releases a remake in 3D( Lion King and Titanic for example), It becomes top box office film over new non 3D releases. So 3D has popularity with people voting with their hard earned dollars. There are way more 3DTV owners than there are Dish customers.
"Worldwide, there are approximately 55 3D channels and demo channels and at least another 35 VoD (Video on demand) services offering 3D movie content. Futuresource Consulting’s Market Analyst, Fiona Hoy, expects that to rise by 15-20 channels and/or 3D VoD service launches in 2012.
This installed base and percentage of 3D capable households will grow significantly over the next three to five years and by 2015 Futuresource expects close to half (47%) of US households will own a 3D TV.
Advertising of 3D, particularly by leading pay-TV providers such as Sky, and the advertising and promotion of the Olympics 2012 and World Cup in 3D (2014), will provide further lift, noted the analyst. "

There are way more 3DTV owners than there are Dish customers.
Talk about emotion trumping facts. Estimated U.S. 3D TV households at end of 2011...5 MIL. Dish subscribers...13+ MIL.

Talk about emotion trumping facts. Estimated U.S. 3D TV households at end of 2011...5 MIL. Dish subscribers...13+ MIL.

It's easy to zero in on one single statement but everything else he mentioned is what it is. Even using your numbers that's still a substantial amount of 3D households. It will most likely double at least for 2012. Does it make sense for Dish to ignore those numbers. How many people this year will buy a 3D TV and then have to decide who to pay for service? If they are already a "D" subscriber they won't have to make a choice.

It's easy to zero in on one single statement but everything else he mentioned is what it is. Even using your numbers that's still a substantial amount of 3D households. It will most likely double at least for 2012. Does it make sense for Dish to ignore those numbers. How many people this year will buy a 3D TV and then have to decide who to pay for service? If they are already a "D" subscriber they won't have to make a choice.
Actually it does make sense for them to wait. I've read more articles that 3D will be dead or close to it by end of the year or next year. So it's a toss up right now. Adding all the LIL is more important than 3D.

I have been a 15 year subscriber to Dish. Over those years I have spent about $30,000 in programing charges and about $4000 in equipment costs( receivers( 3 bought and 5 leased) ,EHDs, OTA( antennas and wiring installation) and 2 Dish HDTVs). Other than cars and housing it is my highest costs of living. I made the decision to go with Dish when they were the innovators. In my market they are now way behind Directv. The don't have HD locals here. They don't have 3D channels. Their new Hopper receiver's Prime time record feature is useless without local HD and it doesn't support OTA so we cannot record locals in HD at all. I am stuck with Dish due to my high investment cost in them and EHD content. However, when anybody in my area asks about tv suppliers , I never recommend Dish, anymore. I now have 12 neighbors who have 3DTV and are long time Dish customers. As I mentioned in another thread we have a swap group for 3D content. We all disagree wth 3D nay sayers. We love our 3D and would subscribe to 3D channels. Many times when the movie industry releases a remake in 3D( Lion King and Titanic for example), It becomes top box office film over new non 3D releases. So 3D has popularity with people voting with their hard earned dollars. There are way more 3DTV owners than there are Dish customers.
"Worldwide, there are approximately 55 3D channels and demo channels and at least another 35 VoD (Video on demand) services offering 3D movie content. Futuresource Consulting’s Market Analyst, Fiona Hoy, expects that to rise by 15-20 channels and/or 3D VoD service launches in 2012.
This installed base and percentage of 3D capable households will grow significantly over the next three to five years and by 2015 Futuresource expects close to half (47%) of US households will own a 3D TV.
Advertising of 3D, particularly by leading pay-TV providers such as Sky, and the advertising and promotion of the Olympics 2012 and World Cup in 3D (2014), will provide further lift, noted the analyst. "

I do not think you should have mentioned Titanic 3D as a part of your argument. It in fact was third the first week it came out and dropped to fourth this week. In actuality, none of the re-released films done in 3D have done as well as they were expect if you read the trades.

I think no matter what side of the argument you want to defend you can find something that will seem to back your stance. The simple fact is there currently is not enough content to warrant the expenditure on a technology that has come and gone every twenty years.

It will most likely double at least for 2012.

I've read more articles that 3D will be dead or close to it by end of the year or next year. So it's a toss up right now. Adding all the LIL is more important than 3D.
I don't think either of these statements is supported by reality. I think we can agree that 3D is nowhere near the tipping point towards long-term success.

There are two observations I would make:

1. Having a 3D TV doesn't make one a 3D user just as owning a pair of Air Jordan's doesn't make you a hoopster.

2. LIL doesn't compete with 3D for bandwidth

The simple fact is there currently is not enough content to warrant the expenditure on a technology that has come and gone every twenty years.
There would be no additional technology expenditure for Dish. Their VIP and XIP series are 3D-capable. Programming costs would probably be low, as well. What people are are asking for is simply a bit more 3D content. Content is out there.

3Net is owned by Discovery and Sony, whose other channels are available on Dish. n3d, which is currently exclusive to DirecTV, is provided by Panasonic. It would certainly help Sony and Panasonic, if they made these channels available to as many people as possible, as a marketing tool for their 3D HW. I'm sure a very reasonable deal can be struck with Sony/Discovery, at the very least.

HBO and Cinemax offer 3D movies OnDemand. Dish should, at the very least, add those to the HBO and Cinemax OnDemand offerings.

Actually it does make sense for them to wait. I've read more articles that 3D will be dead or close to it by end of the year or next year. So it's a toss up right now. Adding all the LIL is more important than 3D.
Most articles are some persons guess bases on what? How many 3D TV's are on the market? All you have to do is look at the line ups from every manufacture. These companies spends serious $$$ on market analysis and the fact that the TV's coming to market this year alone speaks volumes about the future of 3D. It sure does not look like it will be dead or close to dead by the end of the year. By they way. Is Dish going to offer the Olympics in 3D this year? How about the MLB All Star Game, or the Super Bowl. We tend to look at things from am American perspective but if you look at 3D on a global scale you'll see some eye opening numbers.

My source was international. It said there are more than 18 million 3dtv sets out there, less than half in the US. Just like prior to HD , the rest of the world was way ahead of the US in picture quality. Since Dish also sells in Mexico and South America those #s need be included. I did a search on Blockbuster for 3d and got many hits. Yet dish is so anti 3D you cannot get 3D from Blockbuster ,either. Amazon.com has them, 3D DVD rentals has them, and 3D Party has them, plus others. There are close to 75 3d Blu-Ray discs available.

So even more 3D sets are out there than I was saying. My source was very conservative. I wonder what % of Satellite customers are still SD. I bet it is less than 50%. Yet Dish is taking a big gamble in the new Hopper/Joey system that HD is the future. My conservative source says that 3D tvs will be close to 50% by 2015. All major sports and entertainment events are going to 3D. Just like those events were the first to use HD. What happens to Dish when all sports events go to 3d by 2015? They will be way behind the competition. Most think of 3D as the technology to bring tv into our laps. The real effect that Cameron went after in Avatar and Titanic is depth of field. Let the audience see the real 3D world. Every day we see 3D except when we watch TV, read 2D media, and use the computer. Now that most of the game makers realize the reality of 3d , our kids are going to be expecting 3d. 3D is natural. 2D tv is not. 3D is to color tv, as 2d is to black and white. A 2D tv is today as unnatural as a black and white tv was in the 60s. Why should I settle to see a ball game in 2d on tv? When I go to that ball game, Isee it in 3d.

You point to 1 movie that dropped 3d . Here are the 63 2011 and 2012 3d movies. Yep that a lot of 3d for something that the nay sayers say noboby wants. How many of these will make Dish's VOD or Blockbuster and be available for more than a few days?
2011 -
The Green Hornet (Jan 14)
Sanctum (Feb 4)
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (Feb 11)
Drive Angry (Feb 25)
Mars Needs Moms (Mar 11)
Rio (April 15)
Thor (May 6)
Priest (May 13)
Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (May 20)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (May 26)
Green Lantern (Jun 17)
Cars 2 (Jun 24)
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (Jun 2)
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Jul 15)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Jul 22)
The Smurfs (Jul 29)
Final Destination 5 (Aug 12)
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie (Aug 12)
Conan The Barbarian (Aug 19)
Spy Kids 4: All The Time In The World (Aug 19)
Fright Night (Aug 19)
Shark Night 3D (Sep 2)
Dolphin Tale 3D (Sep 23)
The Three Musketeers (Oct 21)
Puss in Boots (Nov 4)
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (Nov 4)
Immortals (Nov 11)
Happy Feet Two (Nov 18)
Hugo (Nov 23)
Arthur Christmas (Nov 23)
Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked (Dec 16)
The Darkest Hour (Dec 25)
The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn (Dec 23)

- 2012 -
Underworld: Awakening (Jan 20)
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (Jan 27)
Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance (Feb 17)
Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax (Mar 2)
John Carter (Mar 9)
Mirror Mirror (Mar 16)
Wrath of the Titans (Mar 30)
Titanic 3D (Apr 6)
The Cabin In The Woods (Apr 13)
Men In Black 3 (May 25)
Madagascar 3 (Jun 8 )
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Jun 22)
Brave (Jun 22)
The Amazing Spider-Man
Ice Age: Continental Drift (Jul 13)
ParaNorman (Aug 17)
Dredd (Sep 21)
Hotel Transylvania (Sep 21)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D (Oct 5)
Frankenweenie (Oct 5)
Halloween 3D (Oct 26)
Wreck-It Ralph (Nov 2)
Rise Of The Guardians (Nov 21)
47 Ronin (Nov 21)
Gravity (Nov 21)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Dec 14)
Life of Pi (Dec 21)
Piranha 3DD
Step Up 4Ever
The Great Gatsby

Sorry left off the HD on the LIL and so it will compete w/the bandwidth. Meant to say to get All LIL in HD across the country.
Ideally (in the interest of maximizing spectrum usage), all LIL would be on spot beam so it would NOT compete with 3D that would necessarily be CONUS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)