What's Up With The Lack Of 3D Broadcasting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
What's the hold up with the networks lack of 3D material? "E" isn't carrying it because nobody is broadcasting it. Tons of 3D TV's out there and many more being sold this year. ESPN has it and they are owned by ABC (I think). Where is ABC, NBC, CBS, USA, TNT. TBS, HBO, Showtime etc? Is it too expensive to shoot in 3D? Don't profess that you're totally behind 3D (they have) and then not offer a lick. No press either. Why aren't the TV analysts out there barking up a storm. With all the money Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Universal Studios, Paramount Studios, Pixar, MGM, Sony Pictures, Warner Bros, ABC/ESPN, has invested in 3D where's the BEEF? I know some are going to say 3D is a passing fancy and some don't like to wear glasses, and some get headaches. I get that. But they aren't building these 3D TV's for the heck of it. Or is it just a money grab for a technology they know will never thrive?

There is 3D on demand content from HBO / Starz available from cable providers. I'm not sure if E* has them though. I do agree a weekly 3D series would be nice.

Could be cost and bandwidth. They'd have to upgrade all their equipment. Don't know if they could feed both 2 and 3D off the same equipment Then they'd have to supply 2 feeds of a show. One in 2D and one in 3D. There are far more 2D and old SD TV's out there than there are 3D.

nah....They're gonna show The Biggest Loser in 3D next season ;)
I was going to click the like button on this, but that would be WRONG. :D

Some shows shouldn't even be in HD. :p

It could be that nobody really gives a crap! I just dont see the appeal of 3D at home.

I replaced a television recently and ended up getting a 3d set with free glasses even though I really wasn't looking for a 3d set. From the few 3d films I downloaded online I was much more impressed with it than I thought I would be. Hopefully dish can at least start offering a few 3d channels sometime in the near future.

It could be that nobody really gives a crap! I just dont see the appeal of 3D at home.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Let me buy a new expensive tv that I have to wear some glasses everytime I want to watch something. I'm not looking to go back to the 80's, really feels out of place with other current technology asking someone to wear glasses.

There is 3D on demand content from HBO / Starz available from cable providers. I'm not sure if E* has them though. ..
There appears to be a lot of stuff available for little or no cost that cableco's, DirecTV, Fios, etc carry that Dish just doesn't deem worthy. They made such a fuss recently about carrying HBO OnDemand, yet they don't carry all of it, so it seems.

They should carry all the 3D material their content providers offer, not just a couple of PPV's each month. And, they should offer a 3D filter in the OnDemand and programming searches.

There appears to be a lot of stuff available for little or no cost that cableco's, DirecTV, Fios, etc carry that Dish just doesn't deem worthy. They made such a fuss recently about carrying HBO OnDemand, yet they don't carry all of it, so it seems.

They should carry all the 3D material their content providers offer, not just a couple of PPV's each month. And, they should offer a 3D filter in the OnDemand and programming searches.
Avatar was available to some on demand customers in 3D awhile back, just not to satellite folks.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Let me buy a new expensive tv that I have to wear some glasses everytime I want to watch something. I'm not looking to go back to the 80's, really feels out of place with other current technology asking someone to wear glasses.

Unless all you watch is 3D you won't need to wear glasses every time you want to watch something. If you buy an expensive new TV it WILL be 3D. No other options. Today's 3D can hardly be compared to the 80's. If something is broadcast well in 3D I don't mind wearing the new light weight glasses if it enhances my viewing enjoyment, especially if I've already paid for that expensive new 3D TV anyway.

Unless all you watch is 3D you won't need to wear glasses every time you want to watch something. If you buy an expensive new TV it WILL be 3D. No other options. Today's 3D can hardly be compared to the 80's. If something is broadcast well in 3D I don't mind wearing the new light weight glasses if it enhances my viewing enjoyment, especially if I've already paid for that expensive new 3D TV anyway.

It's just the concept of needing to wear glasses to enjoy 3D programming, just seems really tacky and out of date and it's the reason IMO 3D will never catch on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)