What's with short recordings?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I have a 722 and a 211k with an EHD. Both of them do the same thing. Sometimes, for no reason at all, instead of 1 30 minutes (or whatever length the program is), it will record 30 or more 1 minute segments of the program. Currently the record is from the 2010 Olhympics. You can see the number of records that it made this afternoon. Does anyone have any idea what causes this? How can I make it stop? My first 722 did it. The replacement they sent me does it and both 211ks do it too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

Or, have a tech "peak" it. :D

That was a pretty good curling match too. So sorry you have to watch it in two-minute pieces. :)

I forgot to ask if you were recording in SD or HD?

Try recording in SD if the HD is recording like that, if it records fine there might be some foliage in the way or possibly even icicles bringing the signal strength down.

Regardless you should have a technician come out and take a peek at the setup and possibly peak the dish out again. :hatsoff:

I am hitting 3 satellites. Here are the numbers and signal strengths from the 211k
129 - signal strength 60
110 - signal strength 64
119 - signal strength 64

I have a DPP 1K.2 (which I assume is the switch).

I am located just north of Dallas, TX so I am assuming that icicles are not the problem. There are no trees in my line of sight either. Do these numbers look good or should I have better signal strength?

I don't have the home protection plan and I would rather not have to sign up for it unless there is definitely a problem.

I had a problem with Dish not getting calls from the 722 even though caller ID worked and when I tried to send to Dish there was nothing to send. They sent a technician which cost me half a day at home and wasted his time, because there was nothing he did that I hadn't already done.

Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

Make sure you OTA reception is set to a stable channel. Yes, you are only working satellite, but the 722 and others are sensitive to what is happening on OTA--it tries to put a message for one. After you get to the OTA and set the channel, then you can use both tuners. To verify this is the problem, remove the OTA input and watch the problem go away, I hope.
-Ken

Mine did this too. I discovered that somehow, it was recording 2 OTA channels simultaneously so I deleted one and it's fine now.

Make sure you OTA reception is set to a stable channel. Yes, you are only working satellite, but the 722 and others are sensitive to what is happening on OTA--it tries to put a message for one. After you get to the OTA and set the channel, then you can use both tuners. To verify this is the problem, remove the OTA input and watch the problem go away, I hope.
-Ken

Here are the signal strengths of the stations that I am normally tuned in to:

Do you think it could be the station at 96?

Congratulations. You should have no problem with locals reading better than say 80 and will work to the 60s although with any multi-path no amount may work. They do need to be higher than satellite numbers. Don't know why.
-Ken

So . . .

Do my satellite signal strengths support or rule out a weak signal explanation?

I disconnected my OTA antenna from the 722. I'll wait a week or so to see if it solves the problem.

-Ken

Yes, I saw this happen on my 722 last night due to one of my stations having issues. Sad that it screwed up several of my recordings!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)