Whats your number one fta station?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I spend a lot of tv watching time on 97w, with 99w a close second. Think the channel I would miss the most if it were to go away would be the NASA channel though (105w).
Then I can't forget I PVR Nova every week via satellite... But I can get that via OTA if I have to...

Number 1 favorite program is the Keiser Report on RT (97W Ku).
Also PBS on C and Ku, DW (Ku), wild feeds, REV'N (the car auctions), Judge J@dy (97W C), and last but not least, the real estate auctions on 103W C (@@ntv). I mean, who would buy a property on-line without knowing if it has clear title or leans against it? ( All sold as-is!)

During the work day, it's ABC Newsone on 91W, NASA TV on 105W C-band or DVIDS on 121W C-band.

In the evenings, when I'm actually watching programming, I spend a fair amount of time on NHK World at 99W, Fox Caribbean on 99W C-band, DW-TV and PBS on 103W C-band and the CTV and CBC networks on Anik. I've found the Saturday evening movie on CTV is usually pretty good.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of NHK World. I just checked it out and really like it so far. There's so many FTA channels and this thread helps make it a lot easier to find the good ones.

NHK World is so fascinating to watch, plus it's in HD! I can easily spend a whole weekend learning all about Japan and it makes me want to visit someday. It's almost vital to watch before you visit Japan as they explain the do's and don'ts before you go and other helpful info. I can now recieve NHK World from Japan on C-Band 55W in HD! I've had my Ku dish parked at 99W since this past July watching NHK World. :)

Reactions: N5XZS and N6BY
NHK World is so fascinating to watch, plus it's in HD! I can easily spend a whole weekend learning all about Japan and it makes me want to visit someday. It's almost vital to watch before you visit Japan as they explain the do's and don'ts before you go and other helpful info. I can now recieve NHK World from Japan on C-Band 55W in HD! I've had my Ku dish parked at 99W since this past July watching NHK World. :)
I like it more than Fox and CNN, which are bundled into my cable package.

I too will spend a lot of my TV viewing time on NHK World, especially with the looming 2016 US Presidential election and Fox and CNN's tendency to focus on that to the exclusion of more interesting world news.

I lived in Japan for 16 years, so NHK is interesting because it helps me keep in touch with the news "back second-home." Its news is the best in Japan and you'll notice the technical quality is very high. Their R&D lab, called STRL, is one of the few broadcaster-run R&D labs left doing long-term research into the future of television. That's why they were able to start HD broadcasting in the 90s and are on track to being regular 8K broadcasts in 2018.

Unfortunately, the conservative Abe government is pressuring them to become more of a government mouthpiece, especially on issues related to Japanese claims for the Takeshima islands (also claimed by South Korea as Dokdo) and issues relating to Japan's role in China and greater Asia during World War II.

Still, many excellent programs remain.

Unfortunately, the conservative Abe government is pressuring them to become more of a government mouthpiece, especially on issues related to Japanese claims for the Takeshima islands (also claimed by South Korea as Dokdo) and issues relating to Japan's role in China and greater Asia during World War II.

Still, many excellent programs remain.
I don't think anybody wins when a government exerts its influence on broadcast media.

I saw some of the China-Japan tension on NHK too. They also had some segments on World War II and how bad it was for one of the surviving soldiers.

And yes, excellent programs remain, such as their recent one about the Fukishima reactor meltdown. This is far, far better (for me at least) than watching CNN and Fox go on and on for the next 19 months about the upcoming election. When my 2 year cable contract expires I expect to drop it.

Reactions: fred555
C/Ku..HD signals and feeds..
I am "Impressed" the pure Quality Picture on Concacaf soccer games feeds on 58.0W C band through Openbox HD S9.. I dont care who's playing. I like the Quality Picture:clapping

Lately has been a lot of H&I on 101. Especially on Saturdays about mid day when they have the original Our Gang stuff and some Laurel and Hardy.

Other than that, METV.

My mistake in naming, should of been The Little Rascals not Our Gang. (the edit)

Last edited:
My two main channels are RetroTV and NHK World. RetroTV for Dr. Who, MST3k, and Sherlock Holmes. NHK World for J-Melo, Eye on Tokyo, and various shows about Japanese culture.

I will probably watch Cozi TV quite a bit once the skew is fixed, primarily Avengers (Steed and Peel).

During the work day, it's ABC Newsone on 91W, NASA TV on 105W C-band or DVIDS on 121W C-band.

In the evenings, when I'm actually watching programming, I spend a fair amount of time on NHK World at 99W, Fox Caribbean on 99W C-band, DW-TV and PBS on 103W C-band and the CTV and CBC networks on Anik. I've found the Saturday evening movie on CTV is usually pretty good.

I wasn't aware of CTV on Anik. Looks like a good channel.

All of the Arabic language stations on Galaxy 19. It helps keep up my language skill.
Now that I will have a second dish, I will have to decide on what to point it it at for
programming.

I will give some of the favorites listed by others a try.

Esquire have you tried to get 30w thats the big fish reeling that one to bring is fun. Its fun to try to get cause being low in the horizon. Has some good channels on it.

Esquire have you tried to get 30w thats the big fish reeling that one to bring is fun. Its fun to try to get cause being low in the horizon. Has some good channels on it.

Well..my Sat Table says that is 20.3° EL 110.3° True AZ 113.2° Mag AZ. At that low angle, that puts it in the tree tops of my
neighbor to the east. What that heck....I will give it a look because according to Hispasat's footprint map, the southeastern USA
has the strongest signal at 48 dbw EIRP so a 70cm dish should work fine for clear line of sight. The trees are going to be
problem but when I put the 1.8m dish this weekend, I will point the dish in that direction and see if my new Amiko Mini HD SE
will receive it. Stay Tuned.

Reactions: danristheman
Be patient with it but you can get I got it at 17 degrees elevation with two feet off the ground. But have fun that is what's about.

I wish I could get LOS of the Atlantic birds. There is some programming there I'd love to pull in. I have the small problem of a 10,378 foot mountain looming to the east of me. 72 to 139 are viewable however and they keep me occupied.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts