When Analog goes dark

bsr2002

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
South Texas
This maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. :eek:

So when TV goes digital in 2009 what do we watch OTA after being hit by a major Hurricane? I have a small battery powered B&W that will be useless in a time like this :mad: Are we just going to rely on radio or what?

Just a thought :D

They will have digital->analog converters we can purchase, the government is also supposed to give us 2 coupons worth 40 dollars towards it in 2008 (woopdeedo! ;)).

But that is of little help to battery powered devices, although I suppose one could use a UPS on the converter, and who knows maybe someone will make a battery powered converter...naaa...

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

Short answer, real world: You will throw away that old B&W battery powered unit and get a new LCD battery powered unit that receives digital signals.

And radio is moving to digital also, but that isn't likely to happen in our lifetime.

It does not seem clear- do VCRs also have to meet the 3/1/07 deadline, meaning no more VCRs built after then, or the old 7/1/07 deadline? Not a lot of difference, but interesting to know.

I imagine that VCR manufacturers will not have to comply with the digital tuner rule as they could simply run off the modulated end of a digital tuner. Besides, even though many still have numerous VHS tapes lying around, most manufacturers have deemed the technology now ancient. Most retailers don't even carry VHS movies now and those that do simply carry 30 titles or less. Not only that, the majority of the public will not want to go out and buy a VCR that has a digital tuner in order to record analog VHS copies of digital material. That's why digital VHS format was invented (though the format has never taken off and is much less popular than DVD recorders that record digitally as well and the media prices are much more affordable than specially made DVHS tapes). Manufacturers could integrate digital tuners into dvd recorders. The thing though to remember is that anytime you integrate something together with something else, the price will increase(especially with new digital tuners). The thing is manufacturers want to make money and if the buyers aren't there to give them the incentive to integrate digital tuners into recording devices other than Tivos, then they won't even worry about doing so. Remember, there is only a mandate on television sets to be converted over, not recording devices. Even if they don't integrate tuners into dvd recorders, then I'll just use my good ole S-video hook-up to get my 480 interlaced lines with less than perfect color.

Actually, the rules do cover recording devices- items with imbedded tuners. VCRs and other recording devices (100% of all "interface devices") had until 7/1/07 to comply. But some explanations of the new law say all TVs on 3/1/07, some say all devices.

It's moot. Not likely anyone will spend the bucks to design/build an ATSC VCR. But I'm curious as to what the official date of death is for the VCR.

and what are they gonna do about my sony vcr date? I paid 500 for the thing in 1991 and the calendar stopped a year or so ago. Do they only think their machines will last so long?

you can't record if it's blinking (at least my machine you can't)

I just gotta figure out what to do with my hundreds of movies on vhs ;) I dont want to lose that stellar PQ

Just give it a date in history that's within its capable range. That will enable the functions, but maybe you won't be able to do date-based timer recordings anymore. (My oldest VCR had a 2-week timer ability and it was just Day 1, 2, etc. so that one would still work timer wise I guess, but it's now in a landfill somewhere...)

What about local low power stations

We have a couple of local low power stations where I live. They don't come in on my cable system and the only way I can get them is to pick them up via an antenna. I can't imagine they will have the money to convert. What does the government expect them to do?

AFAIK low power and repeater stations are not included in the 2009 analog cut off. They have a seperate track and it is very fuzzy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts