When did Football overtake Baseball in popularity?

DodgerKing said:
The reference was to the championship games in both leagues. In football they attend and maybe watch the event, many do not watch it.

I'll watch every superbowl, I haven't watch a world series since '79.

Speaking of the topic of "skewed" or "cooked" stats. The stats are just stats. What changes stats is HOW it is argued or what is being left out. It's like telling a half truth. It is only truthful if you do not leave everything out. Same as stats...if you do not give the full scope of the stat that is being presenting...then you are skewing the data.

Moving along....you may return to your regularly scheduled discussion.
I prefer my cooked stats BBQ over roasted or fried. :)

As a stats teacher, this is one of the point I stress with my students all year long. There are often confounding variables they must be aware of and they also have to consider the best method for analyzing data (eg. mean, total, variance, ex).

As far as the average length of each game, there is not a whole lot to manipulate. From first pitch to last out is the official time. Average all of those official times in one year and that is the average of length of each game for the whole season. The average length of an MLB game is shorter than the average length of an NFL game.

There is also probably a larger standard deviation and range in baseball as well, since there is not clock. The shortest 9 inning MLB game in history was 51 minutes and the longest 9 inning game was 4h 45m. The longest extra inning game 8h 6m. I doubt you will find that range in the NFL. Most regulation games will be around 3 hours

Of course to a non fan a 3 hour baseball game may seem like 10 hours, but the same can be said for a non fan of any sport.

I'll watch every superbowl, I haven't watch a world series since '79.
As do I. But when I go to Super Bowl parties most are not watching the game. When I watch a WS game with others all are watching the game. Of course there are fewer people at a WS gathering as most people do not have a WS party (the same is true for the NBA and NHL championship games as well)

DodgerKing said:
As do I. But when I go to SuperBowl parties, most are not watching the game. When I watch a WS game with other, all are watching the game. Of course there are fewer people at a WS gathering as most people do not have a WS party (the same is true for the NBA and NHL championship games as well)

Man if the series went seven games that would be one long party. :D

I prefer my cooked stats BBQ over roasted or fried. :)

As a stats teacher, this is one of the point I stress with my students all year long. There are often confounding variables they must be aware of and they also have to consider the best method for analyzing data (eg. mean, total, variance, ex).

As far as the average length of each game, there is not a whole lot to manipulate. From first pitch to last out is the official time. Average all of those official times in one year and that is the average of length of each game for the whole season. The average length of an MLB game is shorter than the average length of an NFL game.

There is also probably a larger standard deviation and range in baseball as well, since there is not clock. The shortest 9 inning MLB game in history was 51 minutes and the longest 9 inning game was 4h 45m. The longest extra inning game 8h 6m. I doubt you will find that range in the NFL. Most regulation games will be around 3 hours

Of course to a non fan a 3 hour baseball game may seem like 10 hours, but the same can be said for a non fan of any sport.

What is the time frame over which those stats are being collected. Current year? Decade? Twenty years? Fifty years? That was my question

The funny thing is, look at the chart in this link you provided that compares NY and Boston to the rest of the league. :) This was the point I made earlier about how long Yanks and/or Sox games last compared to others.

The reason why the games last so long is because they are more intense, usually very close, the batters work the pitchers by making them make a lot of pitches, and back and forth. Some of the most exciting games are the ones that last a long time (at least to a fan).
I know its anecdotal, but every game I have tried to watch seems to drag on my more than that.
That is the case with everything when there is interest vs non interest. Anything I attend in which I have no interest also seems to drag on a long time, like some of the events I take my wife to that she really loves and I cannot stand (but I go anyway because she loves it) :D
I'd love to know the standard deviation for those statistics.
Me too.

I don't care which sport is more popular in polls and ratings, I love MLB, NCAA FB, NBA, NCAA BB, PGA, and NFL in that order.
I also enjoy the fact that baseball is on every night during the season. I am starting to miss it already. Baseball, spring, and warmth are all wrapped together.

Except perhaps 1) there are far more people today which could skew your stats, and 2). Even with the increase in popularity (if it is true), football is EVEN more popular. Maybe both are increasing over time, but football more

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Had you bothered to read my previous posts, I said exactly what you said above. The statement I am refuting is "baseball is less popular than it once was". I am saying that baseball is more popular than it has ever been. More people watch baseball now (in the stands, on TV-and listen on the radio) than ever in the history of the sport. This statement is strictly insular.

(EDIT: from my previous post:
Football has become more popular with a higher rate of growth than baseball.)

Had you bothered to read my previous posts, I said exactly what you said above. The statement I am refuting is "baseball is less popular than it once was". I am saying that baseball is more popular than it has ever been. More people watch baseball now (in the stands, on TV-and listen on the radio) than ever in the history of the sport. This statement is strictly insular.

(EDIT: from my previous post:
Football has become more popular with a higher rate of growth than baseball.)

Tony, Chill, I read your post. I was simply commenting and fleshing out that.