When do the Dwight Howard sweepstakes begin?

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I can actually see him going to the Celtics. Here's how and why:

The Celtics have a payroll of $83 million, second only to that of the Lakers, but they could trade the contracts of Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neil and Shaquille O'Neil, and maybe throw in one more million dollar piece of ballast, like Marquis Daniels, to make it fit under the cap rule All of those Celtics contracts expire at the end of this season.

So then the questions are:

1) Why should Orlando deal with the Celtics? The Celtics can include Chris Wilcox, who is a good player, and then they have a second, first round pick next year from the Perkins trade, as well as their own, and maybe Orlando would look favorably upon taking on long cheap contracts for Avery Bradley and/or JaJuan Johnson, who can be retained for three and four years respectively for less than $2 million a year each. Not a bad return for a player who otherwise can and will walk in a couple of months, and,

2) Why should Howard "approve" the trade?

Howard gets a good shot at winning it all this year, and maybe next, if he simply commits to exercising his one year, $19 million player option. Remember, for all the blather we hear about Kedrick Perkins, the Celtics were 7-4 with him last year, whereas they won over 80% of their games in which Shaq played 20 minutes and Perkins didn't play. If Shaq hadn't gotten injured, the Celtics would have won it again last year. Howard has a single year player option for about $3 million more than the new "max", so he could agree to renew for just next year. The Celtics could resign Ray Allen, who is on a pace to set the NBA record for 3 point field goal percentage, and add a pretty good player with their mid level option and make one last run next year before going into Sidney Wicks/Curtis Rowe mode. Howard would then be a free agent after the end of the 2012/2013 season.

How might he land elsewhere?

Last edited:
I do think he won't end the year with Orlando, but I really don't know where he will go.

He will end up in Jersey because they have more to trade than the Celtics have. I highly doubt they will take ANYONE from that list mention above unless you include a front player. Jersey can throw a couple 1st rounders and Lopez.

He will end up in Jersey because they have more to trade than the Celtics have. I highly doubt they will take ANYONE from that list mention above unless you include a front player. Jersey can throw a couple 1st rounders and Lopez.

they were talking about this earlier and how strange it is that williams hasn't asked for a trade. it seems he's waiting for howard. for sure its not a secret that howard wants to go to the nets.

they were talking about this earlier and how strange it is that williams hasn't asked for a trade. it seems he's waiting for howard. for sure its not a secret that howard wants to go to the nets.

Howard in NJ with Williams would be pretty tough! The Nets would also HAVE to(that is what is being said by most insiders) take Hedu's ugly a$$ contract as well. Personally, if I was Jersey...and I do not know if can be done..., I would ask for Nelson as well and MOVE Williams to the 2 spot.

Howard in NJ with Williams would be pretty tough! The Nets would also HAVE to(that is what is being said by most insiders) take Hedu's ugly a$$ contract as well. Personally, if I was Jersey...and I do not know if can be done..., I would ask for Nelson as well and MOVE Williams to the 2 spot.

maybe the magic will wait until the all star break to make a move. they sure are taking their sweet time..........

the only thing we hear here in central florida is that the magic's owner doesn't want to trade dwine. i'm fearful they will keep him and hope to resign. if they do that, the magic won't have fans left.

I heard LeBron gave Dwight some advice. He told him that life in Florida is miserable and he'd be wise to go play for a owner that would treat you to all the riches you could imagine and play in front of a fan base that would passionately support you night in and night out. LeBron told Dwight to come to Cleveland! ;) :D

I heard LeBron gave Dwight some advice. He told him that life in Florida is miserable and he'd be wise to go play for a owner that would treat you to all the riches you could imagine and play in front of a fan base that would passionately support you night in and night out. LeBron told Dwight to come to Cleveland! ;) :D

lmao!!!

The trading deadline is March 15th.

true.i meant to say shortly after the all star break :eek: .i guess they want to wait until the last moment. it seems that many teams are waiting to see what happens with howard before making any moves. a few teams are going to be screwed.

true.i meant to say shortly after the all star break :eek: .i guess they want to wait until the last moment. it seems that many teams are waiting to see what happens with howard before making any moves. a few teams are going to be screwed.

There are probably 3 or 4 teams that have enough as to where Orlando MIGHT be interested: Lakers, Nets, Bulls and MAYBE Dallas.

problem is dwine changes his tune everytime you ask him...doesn't want to go to lakers now because kobe told him he would be third scoring option.

The Celtics other 2012 first round draft pick might have come indirectly from the Clippers. If so, then if the draft were held today, those picks would be numbers 12 and 24 You can't excactly rebuild a franchise around the #12 and #24 picks in most drafts.

Orlando presently has the third best record in the East, so from their point of view, they really can't trade the present for the future, since they could easily win it all this year if they keep Howard for the remainder of this season.

kobe did recently call him. and a story i read a few weeks ago said that. i don't recall if it was in a direct quote from howard or just mentioned in the story.

despite saying the lakers were one of the three teams he wanted to be traded to, he now says he wouldn't resign with them.

The Celtics other 2012 first round draft pick might have come indirectly from the Clippers. If so, then if the draft were held today, those picks would be numbers 12 and 24 You can't excactly rebuild a franchise around the #12 and #24 picks in most drafts.

Orlando presently has the third best record in the East, so from their point of view, they really can't trade the present for the future, since they could easily win it all this year if they keep Howard for the remainder of this season.

they will be lucky to get to the second round, even with howard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts