When does Amazon Prime content expire?

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
I'm a relatively new Prime member, so I'm not sure of the rules regarding how long video content is usually free to stream for Prime members. Last month (Aug. 1), the three Matrix movies were made available to Prime members. I started watching the first one last week, but didn't finish it. When I went back to resume and finish it last night, it was no longer free, nor were the two Matrix sequels. However, other movies that were also added to Prime on August 1 (Cloverfield, The Piano, etc.) are still free (no, my Prime sub didn't expire).

What's more, I'm unable to find a list of content leaving Amazon as I am with Netflix. For example, the article at the link below lists content added to and leaving Netflix and HBO Now in September, but only lists content added to Prime (not what's leaving): http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/27/1...me-hbo-now-new-movies-tv-shows-september-2016

How does this normally work with Amazon? Are some movies only free for a limited time (though I saw nothing in-app saying Matrix would expire)? Is it really this arbitrary and I have no way of knowing when something will expire?

Prime content comes and goes each month. There really is no way to know ahead of time what will be on the free list. The trick is to not start any new series at the end of the month.

All channels have a limited time to show content, not just Amazon, Netlix, etc, even HBO, FX, etc.

The timeframe could be a few years, one year, one month, depends on the contract with the content provider.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I understand that the content on Amazon is based on licensing agreements, and except for original content, will expire at some point. I've had Netflix streaming since the beginning. And every month I check to see what's leaving to make sure a high priority TV show or movie isn't expiring. I just can't find a way to do that with Amazon. No one seems to post that info online, and Amazon itself, on its website, gives no indication, that I've seen, that something is expiring. I'm even totally fine if something is only free for a weekend -- I'd just like to know.

EDIT: I emailed Amazon and the CSR didn't have an answer either about how to know content is expiring (he didn't even address it). He just apologized about the Matrix and gave me a $5 credit so I can watch the rest of the film.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)