When is the new D* DVR coming out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I started with TiVo, but I find myself moving on. For some folks that notion will be unthinkable, but for me, I don't want to limit myself to one platform and never audition the other options.

If the OP were new, there might be some credence to that, but I think that is something that requires a little digging to find more up-to-date info on. Plus, let's fact it, there are plenty of folks who are PO'd about DIRECTV's migration from TiVo that they'll talk down the new platform without having any real clue about it. Some folks like TiVo, but they like DIRECTV's version of TiVo @ $5-$6/mo. over TiVo's version of TiVo @ $15-$17/mo., and I can't blame them really.

At this time I have no reason to get the HR20, bidger knows why.:) When the time arrives I have no problem going with the HR20 (as there is no real other option) and keep my HR10 for SD and OTA.

I just got my new HR20-100S installed last week & I love it. I had the HR10 & I like the HR20 better. My HR20 does not lock up every other day like the HR10 thus I no longer have to reprogram the 30 sec. skip every time, the HR20's button never needs programming! :up

I am no pot stirrer... I have had my toshiba qosmio in for service and been working off of my sons laptop... so I have to share :(

Jimbo I have talked with you numerous times here and even joked with you over me being a big Blue and Maize fan :( sad you forgot me.

I am interested in upgrading if these issues have been fixed I have checked in on the HR20 multiple times and have yet to drop the ball to upgrade but I believe I should prolly get the new receivers before the huge roll out of HD and then I may have to wait extra to get a receiver.

I am no pot stirrer

When someone has over 200 posts and has been registered for nearly 3 years, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus, I think it's healthy to have some skepticism on a new product. As was stated previously, this board is only now starting to get around to having more of a focus on DIRECTV, so the info's a little scant.

All I know is my personal experience. I don't get any MPEG-4 programming so I have to go with what I hear about that, but it's been positive. I've had the HR20 since late last Sept. and I did have to return my first unit. DIRECTV sent techs out and they did do some tweaking to the dish install and the replacement unit has been pretty much trouble-free since. There were some issues with recordings done on Sunday Ticket HD channels, but that seems to have been resolved.

I have done the CE releases and that actually was fun to feel a part of things, but if you feel the slightest trepidation, then by all means avoid it. I guess the bottomline is unless you feel there's one or more features of the D-TiVo you can't live without, you should be fine.

Have they fixed the picture in picture, 30 sec skip, aspect ratio, audio drops and dual live buffer issues? Most reviews say they are fixable issues if D* wants to.

Hello Alvarez,
I for one can tell you i have no issues with my hr20. I did in the beginning but in the last 5 months all 4 have worked flawlessly. I do the CE upgrade when i see them posted to keep up with the upgrades and so far no problems there.
As for the aspect ratio issue, i had one problem early on but it was with an off brand hdtv, i am suspecting this had something to do with it. My Sony 50 Inch LCD never an issue. My Projector, no issues, Sammy 40, no issues, Olevia was the one with issues but after playing with it i got used to it.
My only complaint i have is the hard drive is not large enough. Well for me anyway.
But i have read here and other sites that this issue is easily fixed with a seperate harddrive. I would recommend the hddvr but still favor my old hd tivo (10-250) for ease of use, that is something that i dont think many of us can do anything about, DTV makes those decisions.
I am looking forward to the future with directv and hdtv. it has been a long crazy ride. Ive tried voom and dish and also comcast, Directv is what works for me.
I wouldnt rule out FIOS but until i can get it where i live it is a non issue.
Good luck

My only complaint i have is the hard drive is not large enough. Well for me anyway.
But i have read here and other sites that this issue is easily fixed with a seperate harddrive.

Unplug HR20.
Plus in eSata hard drive of choice.
Plug HR20 back in.
Done.

Can't be any easier then that. :)

There is a massive thread about eSata solutions at DBStalk. There are some guys with raid enclosures that have put in three 1 TB drives and thus have 3 TB of recording space. Crazy. :D

I am no pot stirrer... I have had my toshiba qosmio in for service and been working off of my sons laptop... so I have to share :(

Jimbo I have talked with you numerous times here and even joked with you over me being a big Blue and Maize fan :( sad you forgot me.

I am interested in upgrading if these issues have been fixed I have checked in on the HR20 multiple times and have yet to drop the ball to upgrade but I believe I should prolly get the new receivers before the huge roll out of HD and then I may have to wait extra to get a receiver.

I apologize Alvarez, I thought you ran out on us. One thing I can tell you is that if you get a bad HR20 it is a POS and there are plenty of them out there. If you get a good one it's pretty sweet. I have three and the third one I got was really buggy, and after a while I had to replace it. If that had been my first one then I would have been one of those posting bad reviews. As long as they will replace it for you you have nothing to worry about.

Good to see another U of M fan here. Look for my thread in fall in the sports section about U of M and that OTHER institution.

Back to the subject at hand - Jimbo talked me into getting the HR20, and couldn't be happier. My unit has worked flawlessly so far. I got mine for $99, after a little cajoling with the CSR.

Sorry Alvarez,
I had forgot :down
How quickly one looses his mind when he's working in the heat !

I understand your situation and you want to be sure all is well before you make the move, but like my buddy at the A/V shop I frequent, often remind me, While I'm waiting for the newest technology (better than what I currently have) I am missing out on some damn good technology now !

Jimbo

Hello Alvarez,
I for one can tell you i have no issues with my hr20. I did in the beginning but in the last 5 months all 4 have worked flawlessly. I do the CE upgrade when i see them posted to keep up with the upgrades and so far no problems there.
As for the aspect ratio issue, i had one problem early on but it was with an off brand hdtv, i am suspecting this had something to do with it. My Sony 50 Inch LCD never an issue. My Projector, no issues, Sammy 40, no issues, Olevia was the one with issues but after playing with it i got used to it.
But i have read here and other sites that this issue is easily fixed with a seperate harddrive. I would recommend the hddvr but still favor my old hd tivo (10-250) for ease of use, that is something that i dont think many of us can do anything about, DTV makes those decisions.
I am looking forward to the future with directv and hdtv. it has been a long crazy ride. Ive tried voom and dish and also comcast, Directv is what works for me.
I wouldnt rule out FIOS but until i can get it where i live it is a non issue.
Good luck

Yea I have been with D* since the time of DBBS and Directv. I think my initial install was 96 or 97 heheh I had the hardest time getting that satellite meter to make any noise hehehe.

I am open to FiOs but AT&T rules my area and I have heard U-Verse stinks... there has been talk from what some of my clients at my music store have been telling me that Verizon is trying to get something passed that will allow them to go into certain areas to offer their internet/tv offerings and compete directly head to head with AT&T in all regions... That would be great for the consumer I would think.

Sorry Alvarez,
I had forgot :down
How quickly one looses his mind when he's working in the heat !

I understand your situation and you want to be sure all is well before you make the move, but like my buddy at the A/V shop I frequent, often remind me, While I'm waiting for the newest technology (better than what I currently have) I am missing out on some damn good technology now !

Jimbo

Don't sweat it Jimbo hopefully after this coming season the U of M fans will be a little bit more memorable. Good news for you guys though is we still have Lloyd. hehehe

I understand the taking advantage of new hardware thats why I always seem to be an early adopter in many things... (note I own a Qosmio from earlier post)

Yea I have been with D* since the time of DBBS and Directv. I think my initial install was 96 or 97 heheh I had the hardest time getting that satellite meter to make any noise hehehe.

I am open to FiOs but AT&T rules my area and I have heard U-Verse stinks... there has been talk from what some of my clients at my music store have been telling me that Verizon is trying to get something passed that will allow them to go into certain areas to offer their internet/tv offerings and compete directly head to head with AT&T in all regions... That would be great for the consumer I would think.

The AT&T U-verse stinks is one persons opinion, in one perticular area of the country, much like lots say Comcast suxs, in one area, while other love it in thier area.
Don't rule AT&T out until you've tried them or at least seen it.

Jimbo

The AT&T U-verse stinks is one persons opinion, in one perticular area of the country, much like lots say Comcast suxs, in one area, while other love it in thier area.
Don't rule AT&T out until you've tried them or at least seen it.

Jimbo

IMHO, just having a limitation of 1 HD stream into a home at a time is enough to say it stinks.

IMHO, just having a limitation of 1 HD stream into a home at a time is enough to say it stinks.

Is that a definate thing EVERYWHERE ?
That said, it is still VERY new, not even available in my area , so not much is known about it.

Jimbo

Is that a definate thing EVERYWHERE ?
That said, it is still VERY new, not even available in my area , so not much is known about it.

Jimbo

At this time, yes it's a limitation everywhere. AT&T says that they'll be able to add a 2nd stream sometime in 2008, but they also said that for 2007.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts