When text messaging ever going to be standardized?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Tired of not communicating to my brother which happen to use Apple phone and I use Android phones.

Apple company refuses to offer Apple text message apps, to Android users.:confused:

I just wish FCC get involved and get standardized sooner the better.

You can't segregate Android and Apple and other users apart, and possibly breaking the rules on ADA, which I am hard of hearing and deaf.

Any latest news on this issue?:rolleyes:

Reactions: dishdude
I text my sister on her Galaxy S8 all the time from my iPhone. It’s SMS, but it works. Likewise, most of the Computer Techs at work are using various other Android phones and I’ve not had an issue texting any of them or receiving a text from them, even when they send photos or short videos.

You want frustrating? Try getting ahold of a dinosaur brother who refuses to get a cell phone, let alone a smartphone. It falls back to email or POTS.

Reactions: HIFI and navychop
I say this as someone who thinks text messaging is beyond stupid and sends/receives 20 or less messages a month, but what's wrong with SMS?

It doesn't matter what carrier you have, it doesn't matter the OS of the phone, it's universal. No way in hell would I sign up for some third party messaging service, especially WhatsApp which is owned by Satan. All these different messaging platforms remind me of 20+ years ago. ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger.

You want frustrating? Try getting ahold of a dinosaur brother who refuses to get a cell phone, let alone a smartphone. It falls back to email or POTS.

He's a smart man! I'm done with smart phones and cell phones in general. When my current phone dies, I'm going back to a flip phone or just going to get rid of it completely. The audio quality on landlines is better, I find smartphones uncomfortable to hold to the ear and no matter how much you customize the constant notifications, beeps, boops, bings and tings are annoying as hell. Leave me alone! Plus after 12 years, I still can't type on a touch screen keyboard. These devices were supposed to make life simpler, all smartphones do is make me more miserable and drain my bank account. And who the hell in their right mind wants to watch video on a 5"-6" screen? I can't stand how these devices have turned us into zombies, and I refuse to be part of that. Most of the time my phone sits on my closet shelf or in the cup holder in my car until the battery dies. Which doesn't take long, unlike my old Nextel iDEN phones that could go upwards of a week in between charging, and when the battery life was depleted, you just pop the back off and put a new one in.

I know 3 or 4 people who don't have cell phones and they don't appear to be missing out on anything besides the aggravation.

Reactions: Foxbat
More proprietary claptrap requiring that everyone involved must install and use a third-party app.

A couple of years ago, there were 5 billion SMS users World-wide. Proprietary schemes will come and go.

Your SMS apps are third party apps. SMS is too limited of a protocol when it comes to audio, video, images, and privacy.

I say this as someone who thinks text messaging is beyond stupid and sends/receives 20 or less messages a month, but what's wrong with SMS?

It is slower, you cannot see when someone is online or not, it is less secure and there is less privacy. If law enforcement wants to snoop through any of your texts they can do so to their heart's content. SMS is how they catch the stupids. It's crazy how many times I watch the detectives on The First 48 pull up incriminating evidence from someone's message history.

Their media capabilities leave much to be desired as mentioned. I enjoy sharing dank memes with my friends and S.O. It's harder to do that via SMS.

It doesn't matter what carrier you have, it doesn't matter the OS of the phone, it's universal. No way in hell would I sign up for some third party messaging service, especially WhatsApp which is owned by Satan. All these different messaging platforms remind me of 20+ years ago. ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger.

Yet you have chosen to sign up for some third party Internet forum...

He's a smart man! I'm done with smart phones and cell phones in general. When my current phone dies, I'm going back to a flip phone or just going to get rid of it completely. The audio quality on landlines is better, I find smartphones uncomfortable to hold to the ear and no matter how much you customize the constant notifications, beeps, boops, bings and tings are annoying as hell. Leave me alone! Plus after 12 years, I still can't type on a touch screen keyboard. These devices were supposed to make life simpler, all smartphones do is make me more miserable and drain my bank account. And who the hell in their right mind wants to watch video on a 5"-6" screen? I can't stand how these devices have turned us into zombies, and I refuse to be part of that. Most of the time my phone sits on my closet shelf or in the cup holder in my car until the battery dies. Which doesn't take long, unlike my old Nextel iDEN phones that could go upwards of a week in between charging, and when the battery life was depleted, you just pop the back off and put a new one in.

I know 3 or 4 people who don't have cell phones and they don't appear to be missing out on anything besides the aggravation.

Nothing smart about constantly getting lost when you visit new places. Not being able to dial 911 in an emergency. Nothing smart about dying alone.

Having access to Google Maps at all times alone makes smartphones worth it. I met my fiancée through Tinder. I have family and loved ones on GPS tracking so we can all see where the others are pinpointed on Google Maps. If I ever get kidnapped at least the cops will have a lead to go on!

When I have downtime out in public at least I can do something productive with my time thanks to the advent of smartphones. Before folks would just sit around twiddling their thumbs. Now I can work on my foreign language skills in Duolingo while I'm waiting for my plane to arrive.

Just because you have a phone for some key 'on the go' functionalities doesn't mean you have to heavily use the thing when you're at home. It would be absurd to use my phone to watch videos when I have a nice 78" 4K TV right in front of me. My smartphone hasn't made me a "zombie" any more than my desktop PC / TV has. The zombies you see on the phone all the time tend to be younger folks who don't know any better and have never experienced nice home theater setups. You can have a smartphone without being a zombie on it.

Your SMS apps are third party apps. SMS is too limited of a protocol when it comes to audio, video, images, and privacy.
There's nothing smart about oversharing. The apps may or may not be third party but at least they all adhere to the same immutable standard.
Where the only requirement to play is a fully functional web browser using IETF standards.
Nothing smart about constantly getting lost when you visit new places.
That's why GPS is popular. For the price of a smart phone, you can buy a flip phone and a pretty nice GPS for all of your vehicles that won't get you busted for having your wireless phone in front of you while driving.
Not being able to dial 911 in an emergency.
Many 911 systems still don't support SMS, much less a proprietary protocol.
Nothing smart about dying alone.
So you're going to invite your friends via a group text to come over and watch you die?
If I ever get kidnapped at least the cops will have a lead to go on!
Any functioning wireless phone can be readily tracked whether it is smart or not.
When I have downtime out in public at least I can do something productive with my time thanks to the advent of smartphones. Before folks would just sit around twiddling their thumbs.
Some would say that one of society's biggest problems is that we no longer have any downtime.
It would be absurd to use my phone to watch videos when I have a nice 78" 4K TV right in front of me. My smartphone hasn't made me a "zombie" any more than my desktop PC / TV has.
I see people watching stuff on their phones while sitting in front of a TV. It is only when their eyes get tired to they put the phone down and cast it to their TV. Remind me to buy stock in companies who manufacture eyeglasses and contacts because everyone will be wearing them by the time they're teens.

When my "connected" family comes to visit, the devices pop out when the oral conversations die down and everyone is under the spell of their phone or tablet. Often they even message each other rather than making eye contact. That wasn't happening so much until sending messages became such an involved process of inserting emojis.

What's the point of getting away if you're not going to go offline?

It is slower, you cannot see when someone is online or not, it is less secure and there is less privacy. If law enforcement wants to snoop through any of your texts they can do so to their heart's content. SMS is how they catch the stupids. It's crazy how many times I watch the detectives on The First 48 pull up incriminating evidence from someone's message history.

Their media capabilities leave much to be desired as mentioned. I enjoy sharing dank memes with my friends and S.O. It's harder to do that via SMS.

Seems fast to me. Why do I care to see if someone is online or not? Privacy? One of the major SMS alternative apps is owned by Facebook and Android from Google. Google and Facebook are the two worst companies on the planet when it comes to privacy. They are both evil. Considering I am not a criminal, if law enforcement wanted to see my phone or whatever, I’d hand it offer. I have nothing to hide and I trust law enforcement more then those scumbags at Facebook, which I have nothing to do with and Google, who I am removing from my life. If you're a criminal you deserve to rot behind bars or take a ride on old sparky. What little text message I send/receive I delete the next day. If someone were look at my phone now all they'd see is a billing alert from T-Mobile and an outgoing message to someone at work letting them know I was about to reboot a server. Pretty boring. I have no need to send or receive pictures or video to anyone, If I want to send a audio message, I would you know, call them. I don't use emoticons, I don't have the desire to decipher leet speak, and I'm not one to be lazy and save a quarter of a second and type U instead of you.

I have no idea what dank meme means and I am proud to say that.

You're comparing apples and hippopotamuses. There is a difference in using a niche internet message board dedicated to specific topics versus messaging platforms to communicate with family and friends

Nothing smart about constantly getting lost when you visit new places. Not being able to dial 911 in an emergency. Nothing smart about dying alone.

Having access to Google Maps at all times alone makes smartphones worth it. I met my fiancée through Tinder. I have family and loved ones on GPS tracking so we can all see where the others are pinpointed on Google Maps. If I ever get kidnapped at least the cops will have a lead to go on!

Wow, are you afraid to leave home with out a smartphone? Do you get the jitters when it's not within an arms reach? How did you survive and navigate the scary roads before they came into existence?

In the 70s and early 80s my mom, uncle and two of their friends did motorcycle trips and visited every state east of the Mississippi and all are alive today with stories to tell. Two years ago my aunt and uncle took 1700 mile trip there and back to San Antonio. No GPS, no smartphone, no Google Maps. Just a few folding maps and a 50 state atlas. If two people in their 70s can navigate these scary roads with no technological guidance why can't other people?

When I have downtime out in public at least I can do something productive with my time thanks to the advent of smartphones. Before folks would just sit around twiddling their thumbs. Now I can work on my foreign language skills in Duolingo while I'm waiting for my plane to arrive.

I pay attention to my surroundings. In the Spring when I'm off from work and have my downtime, I'm going to Green Bank, West Virginia and I can't wait!

When my "connected" family comes to visit, the devices pop out when the oral conversations die down and everyone is under the spell of their phone or tablet. Often they even message each other rather than making eye contact. That wasn't happening so much until sending messages became such an involved process of inserting emojis.

What's the point of getting away if you're not going to go offline?

My aunt and uncle have a no cell phone rule in their house. If you come to visit them keep it in your pocket or in the car. If you’d rather play on a 5” screen than enjoy their company you are free to leave and come back when you want to visit and carry on a conversation.

About 8 – 10 years ago, a couple friends would come over and hang out. Instead of visiting would have their phones or laptops and be on Facebook or steaming junk on YouTube. Instead of changing the wifi password, I just eventually went into the router and blocked those site from being accessed on my network. They got the message real quick. And with no cell phone coverage where I live, they have no choice to use my wifi if they want access to the outside world.

Smart phones have given everyone a license to become rude, inconsiderate jackasses. And in public, the advent of the selfie stick just made the already narcissistic even more intolerable. Nothing like being at the top of 1 WTC trying to take pictures with a $1K camera and $500 lens when a bunch of narcissistic twits are gathered around with the selfie sticks taking pictures of their favorite subjects, themselves, with their crappy 1.3 MP front facing cameras on their stupid phones.

• Haha
Reactions: N5XZS and navychop
addresses the file size issues of MMS , acknowledgement of text receipt, etc.
Document size seems like a dangerous proposition if abused. Except for the automatic receipts, it seems like e-mail already covers most of the bases. I suppose the problem there is that so many are using web-based e-mail clients and Apple being so poor at doing a compliant browser. Of course Apple hasn't bought into RCS either so that's another strike against RCS or Apple depending on how you look at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)