When using BluRay on TV1, TV2 is frozen. Why?

susie-s

Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Florida
My BluRay is on TV1, and when we use it, we change the tv input from HDMI-1 Dish, to HDMI-3, where it is connected, and we watch a dvd or netflix, etc. on TV1. But if someone wants to watch TV2 in the other room, whatever channel was on TV2 can't be changed, can't pull up the Guide or anything. TV2 is as if the VIP722k is not available. We have just the one receiver for both televisions, and the receiver is set to Dual Mode. TV2 remote is the UHF one, I think.
Is there a fix for this? Thank you.

I don't know if there's a fix, other then trying to NOT use HDMI between the receiver and TV1. (Yeah I know, HDMI is best quality)... I had a Logitech review hooked up between my 722k and TV (via HDMI) and the connection confused all three components... If the TV was off, then there was no sound to the amp (even though it wasn't connected through TV). If the Logitech went into 'sleep mode' then the 722k would take several minutes to start recording DVR events (and, if it did, would often reboot mid-recording). TV2 would not come 'on' sometimes if TV1 was 'off'... Other issues too... Dual mode? ...that's what ours was set to also. We tried single mode but same issues.

It's funny that you mentioned TV2 because that seemed to be where most of our problems occurred when we had the Logitech hooked up in the config. ...sounds like an issue with HDMI communication between devices. I'm no expert but, apparently, the HDMI connection also sends/receives more information than audio and video signal (device make, model... power state... resolution settings... etc.) I imagine that the problem is occurring. So if you're HDMI connection to BD-Player is 'hot' then the TV is turning off the connection to the receiver.

I know this does not 'solve' your problem but sometimes just thought it would be helpful for possible troubleshooting.

Try using an HDMI switch instead of the internal switch in the TV.

It may be a problem with the TV.

I don't know if there's a fix, other then trying to NOT use HDMI between the receiver and TV1. (Yeah I know, HDMI is best quality)... I had a Logitech review hooked up between my 722k and TV (via HDMI) and the connection confused all three components... If the TV was off, then there was no sound to the amp (even though it wasn't connected through TV). If the Logitech went into 'sleep mode' then the 722k would take several minutes to start recording DVR events (and, if it did, would often reboot mid-recording). TV2 would not come 'on' sometimes if TV1 was 'off'... Other issues too... Dual mode? ...that's what ours was set to also. We tried single mode but same issues.

It's funny that you mentioned TV2 because that seemed to be where most of our problems occurred when we had the Logitech hooked up in the config. ...sounds like an issue with HDMI communication between devices. I'm no expert but, apparently, the HDMI connection also sends/receives more information than audio and video signal (device make, model... power state... resolution settings... etc.) I imagine that the problem is occurring. So if you're HDMI connection to BD-Player is 'hot' then the TV is turning off the connection to the receiver.

I know this does not 'solve' your problem but sometimes just thought it would be helpful for possible troubleshooting.
What are you complaining about, did it allow you to make unauthorized copies of digital content? No. It did what it's designed to do, the rest is just gravy. (you didn't think HDMI is designed for your benefit did you?) Any one of a thousand variables that *could* under *some* circumstance be interpreted as the user *might* be trying to circumvent protection, will cause these types of issues. Yay DRM.

Pepper: FAIL. I wasn't trying to record illegally and it doesn't sound like Susie was either. (Check out what a Revue is... because it's not a recording device.) It's got to be a software issue. If it were an intended DRM protection, then why would an HDMI connection with TV1 adversely affect TV2? ...and then only 'block' it sometimes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)