When Will Dish Give Us Network Hdtv??

I get all my locals OTA but I completely agree that the number 1 priority with sat companies should be east/west coast network HD channels and HD LIL. Even though I get my locals, its been a very expensive and time consuming process. So difficult that I would not expect anyone to go through what I went through. HD LILs are a good use of money and energy by the sats. So give people a break when they want LIL HD channels over satellite. I feel your pain.

Jimmy J said:
Hey ya Walt, how's it hangin'...good to hear from another Vermont woodchuck. ;)

Howdy GUYS actually Walt and I are now email buddies :) he lives like 15 miles from me :) I am too in VT. Hey walt Im picking up a VU120 antenna from Radio Shack today going to try that out. its got 90miles on the UHF side I hope its sensitive enough to pick up WNNE out of hartford to get some NBC in HD ( wish it was CBS or FOX though) Hey you said you get CBS in HD would you care to tell me how you pulled that off? I catualy wrote WCAX and she said that she would work on getting me a waiver but that was like 4 weeks ago and nothing back.

jmcgee_jr said:
<snip....> Hey you said you get CBS in HD would you care to tell me how you pulled that off? I catualy wrote WCAX and she said that she would work on getting me a waiver but that was like 4 weeks ago and nothing back.

Dish gave it to me when I signed up for their HD pak 18 months ago. That's all I know and I ain't about to ask:D . I've never been able to get a watchable signal for anything except PBS where I live, even with a good rooftop antenna and had the analog NY feeds for quite a while now. I did have to "choose" between them and my Dish LiLs though, so dumped the locals.

Airblair said:
So is network HD happening soon, or what? Especially given what Scott G said this morning in one of the ESPN-U threads?

Well, here I am with a new HDTV, and unsure what to do about an HD source. I'd love to buy a 942, but am reluctant with so much up in the air.

This got me to thinking... how much network HD would I watch? I watch nothing on CBS, little on NBC and ABC, and 6 or 7 Fox shows. If DISH follows the same rules as DirecTV, I would get the national Fox feed. Thats a good 60-70% of my network viewing. And I could probably get a waiver for ABC. (CBS too, but like I said, I never watch it.) NBC is the only network I might concievably get an OTA HD signal from someday. (They are low-power and non-HD now.)

That, coupled with the 80 signal strength I got when I swung my 148 dish to 129, may make me buy a 942. I'm just too happy with DISH otherwise to switch back to DirecTV over the promise of HD-LIL in April.

Face it, everyone's stuck like chuck until mpeg 4 rolls. Charlie's not gonna use any more mpeg 2 bandwidth for HD east/west coast feeds, which IMO is a real big mistake. D* burns him on this everyday he delays. I think E* has too much commitment right with the international stuff and his satelitte layout in terms of bird positoning is way too spread out right now. Rainbow will seriously change the landscape, but the equipment costs will be off the earth in terms of investment. Also charlie isn't know for bearing that cost (heck, the fact the 921 aka "boat anchor" wasn't recalled and that every 921 owner wasn't offered a free upgrade to the 942 is proof enough of charlie's percieved lousy care/business practices for his customers and just how cheap he can be). I think the only reason he'll upgrade present hd mpeg recievers for free is because D* will set the precedent (and even then that clown still might not do it! - "yes believe it, he is possibly that cheap").

ocnier said:
Face it, everyone's stuck like chuck until mpeg 4 rolls. Charlie's not gonna use any more mpeg 2 bandwidth for HD east/west coast feeds, which IMO is a real big mistake.

Uhh...the L.A. HD networks are already up-linked and testing at 129. Word has it as soon as the Rainbow 1 sale is approved the East coast HD networks will be up-linked at 61.5. It's also Rumored that we'll see at least a couple more HD additions before the end of this year, if not a lot sooner. When it comes to delivering real HD, E* actions speak louder than D* words.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Uhh...the L.A. HD networks are already up-linked and testing at 129. Word has it as soon as the Rainbow 1 sale is approved the East coast HD networks will be up-linked at 61.5. It's also Rumored that we'll see at least a couple more HD additions before the end of this year, if not a lot sooner. When it comes to delivering real HD, E* actions speak louder than D* words.

NightRyder

The big question is whether these new HD channels will be in MPEG-4 requiring a new receiver or MPEG-2. Dish may have a big advantage over DirecTV for HD because the new DirecTV dish for HD locals is 24" x 36" which is larger than a Superdish and much larger than a D1000. I think many folks would even rather have both a D500 and a D300 than a 24" x 36" monster.

rocatman said:
The big question is whether these new HD channels will be in MPEG-4 requiring a new receiver or MPEG-2.

From what I have been able to gather, the HD networks are MPEG-2 but they are also testing some other channels at 129 in MPEG-4. I hope we get more info this coming week.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:

NightRyder

If your right my hat's off to ya, but I seriously doubt e* will use rainbow one for hd mpeg 2 transmission. Right now E* is coming on almost a year late and way more than a dollar short in regards to network east/west coast hd beside CBS :eek: (they simply need to get their butts moving!). I'm not holding my breath, E* actions are pretty much non existent (aside from slightly less compression hence better quality picture & the voom channels - which are very nice icing but still not the cake). Charlie is sitting on his hands until mpeg 4 rolls. Face it you are completely screwed for the rest of this year and part of the next until this happens. E* could surpise me, but considering their track record it's not likely.

ocnier said:
If your right my hat's off to ya, but I seriously doubt e* will use rainbow one for hd mpeg 2 transmission. Right now E* is coming on almost a year late and way more than a dollar short in regards to network east/west coast hd beside CBS :eek: (they simply need to get their butts moving!). I'm not holding my breath, E* actions are pretty much non existent (aside from slightly less compression hence better quality picture & the voom channels - which are very nice icing but still not the cake). Charlie is sitting on his hands until mpeg 4 rolls. Face it you are completely screwed for the rest of this year and part of the next until this happens. E* could surpise me, but considering their track record it's not likely.
Unh. I must disagree. Their recent track record includes Voom and NFLHD - after they said there was NOT going to be any more MPEG-2 HD.

Dish/Voom= 10 channels of 24/7 HD content.

DirecTV/HD Networks= 4 channels of HD content a few hours a day- of which I might be interested in one program a day.

Keep your cake- the icing's the best part anyway. ;)

Seriously though, different strokes. Some people have no use for Voom and actually like M.O.R. network programming. But it seems pretty apparent that DirecTV talks more than acts, and DISH keeps surprising people with their actions. The DISH spies can tell there are 4 MPEG-2 HD channels sitting in a row at 129.

If DirecTV ever gets these new sats working, I'm sure they will move back into the lead. I've been holding my breath ever since they were supposed to make their "big announcement" back in June. I was all set to switch. But I'm tired of waiting, and I'm sure DISH will have plenty more surprises for us. They may not be as big as DirecTV's, but neither is the Dish size. :)

I hope it is OK to post this here. I have DISH and I like it, but it doesn't give me my Seattle channels in HD. There is a small dish system that does, It also gives me the Detroit 5 in HD. It doesn't matter whether I am in Central America or anywhere in North America I get these HD feeds using a medium sized ellipical dish using a quad dual head LNB. The system that doesn't use spot beams is called Star Choice.

It uses digicypher technology in the 11.8-12.2 portion of the Ku band

Starchoice HD Feeds

Mexico Pete
what cities can you get with sc* in HD I am just Curious?? I would like to get milwaukee in HD for the packer games and being 105 miles from Milwaukee even the analog is stretching it!!!

How sad is it that people in Canada can get national HD feeds of US networks, and there are many of us here in the US that can't get the same feeds. I think that's a joke. The FCC needs to get off their butts and make this right.

Yep I agree. If your locals are unable to provide any OTA hd or there is none you should be able to get the network feeds with no issues at all. Also the whole little thing of calculation of who can receive HD is a joke. They say I should get NBC from 55 miles away in VT is a joke even with a 13" antenna and pre amp I cant pick it up cause of the fact im in a deep valley. Its total BS.

hahler2 said:
How sad is it that people in Canada can get national HD feeds of US networks, and there are many of us here in the US that can't get the same feeds. I think that's a joke. The FCC needs to get off their butts and make this right.

Trouble is the FCC & the NAB are too busy making their closed-door deals for campaign air time for the '06 elections. NAB DOES NOT want a "digital white area" because it would show just how many of their little dues paying affiliates are still not doing digital or at best on "paper" only.

Although the whole industry will be moving to MPEG4 over the next 12 months, you can bet that competitive pressures will motivate Dish to deliver some new MPEG2 HD channels to customers before the holiday shopping season begins -- perhaps even HD national feeds for the major networks. All those buyers of new HD sets are going to want HD content and Dish will do all it can to market itself as the HD leader.

I can't get OTA stuff -- line of site issues.

Even those who can get OTA just really would rather not deal with the effort of buying, installing and hooking up an antenna. Most folks just want the convenience of having an installer connect their cable or sat box and getting everything from the box. Easy. People are too busy and stressed nowadays.

I'm, so far, very happy I choose Dish over Direct for content service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts