When will PBS be in HD?

I'm 50 miles out of DC so an antenna is out of the question. The issue I have is that Direct TV and the local cable company offer PBS in HD and Dish does not. I figure that I pay for a service to provide me TV and HD where it is available, I don't care that Dish cannot "workout an agreement with the local channel" or that they "do not have enough bandwidth" that is their problem. If they want to keep me as a customer they should solve their problem and provide me with the service I seek and is available from all their competitors!

Maybe you should look into DIRECTV. I dont know what to tell you there.

Not having enough bandwidth is not an easy fix as clicking your fingers. ;)

It just gets me mad that they can add Oprah and LOGO in HD (plus many others) but not PBS. I know they are national, but in DC we have what...4 HD channels, and 2 or 3 others on the spotbeam. I don't know how much bandwidth they eat up. I imagine Baltimore is also on our spotbeam which screws us out of some bandwidth. But if I was an uninformed consumer and saw the competition offering what I wanted and DISH not having it I would have no qualms about my choice of provider. Poor business planning....just sayin'...

Opera and Logo have nothing to do with your local channels.

I do applaud DISH as over the past few months they have added PBS in HD in a number of areas and continue to roll out PBS around the country. Its not going as fast as many want but its being done.

I'm 50 miles out of DC so an antenna is out of the question. The issue I have is that Direct TV and the local cable company offer PBS in HD and Dish does not. I figure that I pay for a service to provide me TV and HD where it is available, I don't care that Dish cannot "workout an agreement with the local channel" or that they "do not have enough bandwidth" that is their problem. If they want to keep me as a customer they should solve their problem and provide me with the service I seek and is available from all their competitors!

It just gets me mad that they can add Oprah and LOGO in HD (plus many others) but not PBS. I know they are national, but in DC we have what...4 HD channels, and 2 or 3 others on the spotbeam. I don't know how much bandwidth they eat up. I imagine Baltimore is also on our spotbeam which screws us out of some bandwidth. But if I was an uninformed consumer and saw the competition offering what I wanted and DISH not having it I would have no qualms about my choice of provider. Poor business planning....just sayin'...
Baltimore and Washington, DC are on the same spotbeam but different TP's. WMPT (22) is in HD for Baltimore. You could "move" in order to get your PBS in HD. Also, 50 miles is not a problem for TV reception. I am 50 miles from both the Baltimore and Philly towers and can receive both OTA. Lots of help on AVS for local reception.

Baltimore and Washington, DC are on the same spotbeam but different TP's. WMPT (22) is in HD for Baltimore. You could "move" in order to get your PBS in HD. Also, 50 miles is not a problem for TV reception. I am 50 miles from both the Baltimore and Philly towers and can receive both OTA. Lots of help on AVS for local reception.

Moving would get me Baltimore locals & I'd lose DC locals, kindof like the DC local news on the networks. Again, local cable has both...
As far as getting PBS over antenna, I thought of this 18 months ago and basically learned it was "iffy at best": http://www.satelliteguys.us/digital-over-air-ota/196768-fm-over-hd-antenna-indoor-vs.html

i live about 100 miles from Chicago so antenna won't work for me also.I am waiting for our pbs locals in HD WTTW and WYCC out of Chicago so dish please do someting for us Chicago is the DMA#3

Mobile/Pensacola is in HD on 61.5 and 129 because there is transponder space on the spot beams. Our PBS and Mobile's are state operated, so there should not be holdup from them. Yet here we sit, with just the big four networks in HD. Explain this?

The Dish CSR members are conspicuous by their absence from this thread.
The Dish CSR members are not involved in Corporate decisions of what channels will be available at some time or another. I don't find it conspicuous at all, not their job man!

Easy answer to that. There is no answer that you will like. People want their RSN's in HD, they want more international news channesl. There is a thread with a list of channels people want in HD. PBS is among them. If PBS in HD is important enough for you, you will go to a provider who has it. Dish will eventually have all of them in HD, but made the decision to have other national channels (more than virtually any other provider) in HD. That's the way they decided to go with the bandwidth they have.

Ok I have a question about the bandwith Dish is currently using. TBS HD is mapped to 139HD, 9499HD, 4139HD, 5555HD(AK), 5556HD(HI) then the RSN's like FSNSW is 416HD, & 5416HD. Then the locals you have are mapped to 2-69HD and somewhere in the 5000-6999HD range. Why does it have to be mapped to so many locations? I understand Alaska & Hawaii but as long as I get the channel in its normal range 2-70 or 101-626 I don't see the need for duplicates and triplates of the same channel else where. Then you also have the SD version of locals 7000-9399 range. Again as long as they are on 2-69 whats the point?? Wouldn't this free up some bandwith for most things customers are asking for? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Ok I have a question about the bandwith Dish is currently using. TBS HD is mapped to 139HD, 9499HD, 4139HD, 5555HD(AK), 5556HD(HI) then the RSN's like FSNSW is 416HD, & 5416HD. Then the locals you have are mapped to 2-69HD and somewhere in the 5000-6999HD range. Why does it have to be mapped to so many locations? I understand Alaska & Hawaii but as long as I get the channel in its normal range 2-70 or 101-626 I don't see the need for duplicates and triplates of the same channel else where. Then you also have the SD version of locals 7000-9399 range. Again as long as they are on 2-69 whats the point?? Wouldn't this free up some bandwith for most things customers are asking for? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

These channels are only mirrored to another channel #.There is no extra bandwidth being used....

Dish should have and East & West coast PBS feed.

so only a few folks can get it?

Remember...the rule for PBS is simple. IF the market has a PBS, you are exempt from the national PBS. Yes there are folks who are "grandfathered" who have natinal PBS and their local one but those are from years ago when not all the locals were carried. Before 2002 they only needed to carry the Big 4 Networks. 1/1/02 providers had to carry all the locals that qualified to be carried (must carry).

The HD feed works the same.

larryf?? how can you be 163 miles from Lubbock and still be in the Lubbock DMA, it's only 120 miles to Amarillo, 135 to Midland/Odessa, 160 miles on 82 puts you in Seymore which is in the Wichita Falls DMA, 160 gets you to Sweetwter and everything west is less than 100 miles to New Mexico?

Those mileages you must either be in the Abilene or Wichita Falls DMA, which means you are closer to Dallas than we are, so you should have no trouble picking up the Dallas spot beam off the 61.5 satellite, if you have a wing pointed that way.

larryf?? how can you be 163 miles from Lubbock and still be in the Lubbock DMA, it's only 120 miles to Amarillo, 135 to Midland/Odessa, 160 miles on 82 puts you in Seymore which is in the Wichita Falls DMA, 160 gets you to Sweetwter and everything west is less than 100 miles to New Mexico?

Those mileages you must either be in the Abilene or Wichita Falls DMA, which means you are closer to Dallas than we are, so you should have no trouble picking up the Dallas spot beam off the 61.5 satellite, if you have a wing pointed that way.

Jim is correct I didn't pay attention to you saying that you are 163 miles. You aren't in the Lubbock DMA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts