when will the 6 tuner hopper come out? I hope "SOON" for real.

could be years off for all we know. If they put up a prototype in January, it doesn't even mean it has to be released any time soon.

I don't know if the "hint" at it wasn't just someone's purely unsubstantiated wishful thinking.

Dish has never hinted towards it but Scott has mentioned it before. It is possible that they make one but it's all speculation right now.

I still think your better off with two hoppers. This way if one Hopper dies you can still watch TV.

Although I agree in principle on the back up , I think that the Directv Genie will force them to come out with a 6 tuner hopper to be able to compete. DIRECTV is already comparing their Genie to the DISH Hopper and showing it comes up short in comparison-( in their opinion). The Genie has 5 tuners and DISH would want to up their hopper to 6 and then claim that they can record up to 10 shows at a time using PTAT. IF they expand PTAT to include the Cw , PBS, Mynetwork Tv , they could claim that you could record 13 shows at a time using PTAT, using the 6 tuner hopper .

The rumor is that DIRECTV is going to be going the other way and phase out the 5 tuner DVR in favor of a 3 Tuner DVR which is rumored to be called the HR-44 (Which will then be named the Genie). I have been told by my contacts that over 80% of those with a HR34 never use more then 3 tuners.

Personally I hope they (DIRECTV) offer both a 5 tuner and 3 tuner model.

The rumor is that DIRECTV is going to be going the other way and phase out the 5 tuner DVR in favor of a 3 Tuner DVR which is rumored to be called the HR-44 (Which will then be named the Genie). I have been told by my contacts that over 80% of those with a HR34 never use more then 3 tuners.

sounds very much like a clone of the hopper. All they'd have to do is increase the hard drive size.

Insert <I told you so> smiley here. :D

If they do this, wonder if they will have a version of PTAT?

Although I agree in principle on the back up , I think that the Directv Genie will force them to come out with a 6 tuner hopper to be able to compete. DIRECTV is already comparing their Genie to the DISH Hopper and showing it comes up short in comparison-( in their opinion).

I can see that argument. People often look at numbers, five tuners VS three at first pops out. Now if they dig a little deeper, you can get two Hoppas and have six tuners with the backup there, at least for now you can only get one Genie, or so the answer in another thread was. And I don't know the cost of Genie if you are not eligible for free VS the Hoppa. Add the PTAT feature, and, the Skip feature (at the least for now - lol ) the Hoppa has it's good points. But then I have to remember not everyone is going to even consider what happens if the one unit dies, it's got Five tuners, and that's what is important to them....

Complete with Auto Hop?
based on Scott's information, DirecTV already has a version of AutoHop ready to go. They are just waiting on the Dish litigation to say AutoHop is legal and doesn't violate any contractual obligations.

I'd be happy with two 3 sat tuner Hoppers- and no Joeys. I'd certainly be more interested in seeing that officially supported than a 6 sat tuner Hopper.

Complete with Auto Hop?
From what I understand the current GENIE SOFTWARE has commercial skipping built into it however its not enabled. Will DIRECTV ever enable it? That I don't know.

As for PTAT I dont see them doing that. But with the Genie Feature it could record other prime time shows it thinks you might like.

I use my 5 tuners on my HR34 alot and that would be a dumb move by Directv if they did that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts