When will we get CW or WGN in HD??

wam161

Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
For my area, the CW is shared with WGN or channel 9. It's the only local channel I don't get in HD, and there is some HD content I am missing out of. Most notably, the Cub games. There are also some shows I wouldn't mind seeing in HD as well. The shows will even say "In HD where Available." It's time Dish gives us this channel in HD. I could care less by so much of the other crap they offer in HD, why not this??

Dish can't give us what isn't available. Superstaion WGN doesn't not broadcast in HD yet. Only the local OTA broadcast does.

Dish can't give us what isn't available. Superstaion WGN doesn't not broadcast in HD yet. Only the local OTA broadcast does.

Dish doesn't even give it to us when it is available.

CW WPSG in Philadelphia is available in HD on DirecTV but not on Dishnetwork.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just got this from the FAQ's on WGN's site.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q: When will Superstation WGN be available in high definition?
A: Superstation WGN will be available in HD to cable and satellite providers starting in November.
[/FONT]

I'd be happy if Dish would give me a CW station. We don't have a CW affiliate in our DMA (#102).

For my area, the CW is shared with WGN or channel 9. It's the only local channel I don't get in HD, and there is some HD content I am missing out of. Most notably, the Cub games. There are also some shows I wouldn't mind seeing in HD as well. The shows will even say "In HD where Available." It's time Dish gives us this channel in HD. I could care less by so much of the other crap they offer in HD, why not this??

Dish does not offer WGN-DT ch 9 In hd whereas Directv does.

Were also missing WTTW-DT PBS HD, WCIU-DT wich airs Bulls, Cubs, and Sox games In HD, and WPWR-DT Mytv wich also is in hd but I dont know if anything actually airs. None of the providers have picked up these other than comcast. I get these via OTA, wich all of these channels can easly be had with the right antenna.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just got this from the FAQ's on WGN's site.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q: When will Superstation WGN be available in high definition?
A: Superstation WGN will be available in HD to cable and satellite providers starting in November.
[/FONT]

Does this mean we might be seeing Bulls, Cubs, and White Sox games broadcast in HD on E* or would this be the OTA WGN and won't affect those of us out of the Chicago area?

It is likely that DISH is hesitant to bring CWs online due to the substantial absence of HD programming across the gamut of CW stations. Many of them are still SD subchannels of some other network's affiliate.

What D* has done has typically been to address an absence of some other major network from their offering.

Beginning in 2008, you will see fewer and fewer Cubs games on WGN Superstation. The soon-to-be-new-owner of the Cubs has stated several times that those games would transition off the superstation feed and the local WGN feed as well eventually.

[/FONT]

I checked with a source at WGN who a few months ago was saying next spring/summer. Well it does look like November now, the people that control the $'s decided that they needed to get a HD signal out there and they're waiting for the encoders to be delivered now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)