When you use 'Start Over', you can't fast forward.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
When you use 'Start Over', fast forwarding is blocked.

Some years ago, what ever last two channels you were on were continuously "laid down" on the DVR disk (from the beginning of the 'current show'), so you could always go back to the beginning of the current show. No more. Gone.

Last edited:
The DVR functions work as they always have...BUT... startover involves streaming the program to you and there is no fast forward using that option while you are streaming.

The DVR functions work as they always have...BUT... startover involves streaming the program to you and there is no fast forward using that option while you are streaming.

OK, but the info bar shows exactly as when something off the DVR is playing...i.e. that there is content (orange bar) "out in front of the current play point" that looks like you should be able to fast-forward into.

OK, but the info bar shows exactly as when something off the DVR is playing...i.e. that there is content (orange bar) "out in front of the current play point" that looks like you should be able to fast-forward into.

Tell ya what. I'll try this tonight and post back. I know what you are talking about but just to be sure...

Your DVR should work just as normal. If you have had it on a channel it records while on the channel, when you change the channel it erases the previous channel and starts recording the new channel. with the DVR you cant ffwd unless you have rewound. Meaning you cant look into the future on a program. So in order for you to fwd you would of had to of already rwd.

With look back, the content providers in the agreement to allow bhn to have the feature made BHN disable FFWD so you are forced to watch the program as originally aired. The same is true for start over and look back. Its also true for Select On-Demand programming (but not all depends on the contract with the individual programmer)

Two things being discussed... a. no fast forward on Start Over programs, and b. "lay down" of last two channels selected.

a. Understand. It just doesn't allow F F. Point was, that the info bar makes it LOOK LIKE YOU CAN.
b. It -is- different now. Sometime in the past quite a number of revs back you could do the following:
Say, at night, your last two tuned channels were 3 and 4, ending on 4. You turn off sitting on 4 and go to bed.

Get up next day. Turn all on at 0820. The programming for both channel 3 and 4 from 0800 to the present time were available (had been laid down on the disk) so long as you did not move the tuners away from 3 and 4. You could go to channel 3, and use the BACK control to back up to 0800 (beginning of the program currently on). Or you could also back up to 0800 on channel 4.

In other words, the programming on the last two tuned channels, beginning at the time you went to that channel or the beginning of the current program, whichever is later, was availabl--so long as you did not tune to a third or fourth channel. If you did, THAT channel began to be laid down on the disk.

Last edited:
I used to love being able to switch back and forth between 2 channels. You could basically watch 2 shows at the same time and skip commercials that way. I'm not sure if it is a software issue, or what. My dvr will allow me to do it sometimes and sometimes it doesn't even let me rewind on a channel that I've been watching for a while. The performance seems "moody" at times

Guys I'm trying to digest what you were doing. I get it...just never experienced it myself or never noticed. I'm always amazed at the little things you guys point out that after years and years of working with this stuff never noticed myself. So I admit don't have an answer for you today...

I used to love being able to switch back and forth between 2 channels. You could basically watch 2 shows at the same time and skip commercials that way. I'm not sure if it is a software issue, or what. My dvr will allow me to do it sometimes and sometimes it doesn't even let me rewind on a channel that I've been watching for a while. The performance seems "moody" at times
Been that way for me since last update, and will have same channel on both tuners a lot too. I miss being able to watch two at one time.

Guys I'm trying to digest what you were doing. I get it...just never experienced it myself or never noticed. I'm always amazed at the little things you guys point out that after years and years of working with this stuff never noticed myself. So I admit don't have an answer for you today...

Did you ever get a chance to look into this?

Basically, we are saying this, that formerly in the DVR (not now):

- both tuners were tuned always to the last two channels selected
- both of those channels' CURRENT PROGRAM were being laid down on the disk
- this was true even if the DVR was off.
- you could (so long as you went direct to) go to either of those channels, and 'rewind' them to beginning of show, or any later point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts