When your kids smarter than the teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many pronounce it the same way we do. It's a fairly common name, south of the US.
I know it's a common name. My wife is from Mexico, and my oldest stepson is named "Hey-sús". Same way the priest pronounces it in the Spanish Mass.

The thing is, it's not HEY-sus... It's he-SOOS --the e sounding like the E in bet--. You don't make a BAIT on the horses, you make a bet! Jesús is not that hard to pronounce. My cousin would go bonkers when her teacher kept calling her SAY-See (Ceci) which is short for Cecilia. My aunt gave the teacher a quick lesson... "Say Cecilia"... the teacher would say it properly... now say Ceci... Say-see... No... say Cecilia... Cecilia... now say Ceci... Say-see.... No... Say Cecilia...

She finally got it after the FIFTH try!

But that's okay, I go by Tony because my parents realized that NO ONE in this area could wrap their heads around the correct pronunciation of my first name, and who would name a BOY that... Angel. No... not Ain-jell.

BTW, $100,000 to the first person who can name me a female angel in scripture!

See ya
Tony

I ask the teacher if she has any questions. She says "who in their right mind would give their child a nickname instead of a real name." The Principal steps in again and tells us that all is well and he will have discussion with the teacher. From that time on Josh was very comfortable with his name and every teacher he had willingly used it properly.
I would have asked the teacher "is there anything you need to say to my son and my wife and I" and wouldn't have left until I got an apology. I'd also have told my son to tell us if he/she treats him the slightest bit different after that incident (and told the principal we'd be doing so).

I am a teacher and I wish I could respond to these posts. I will say this though: the true mark of a good teacher is one who accepts that they do not know it all and that they can learn from all of their students!

Maybe we just pronounce things differently (correctly ;) ) in New Orleans.

Reminds me of a situation in college where an PA (Professor's Assistant) questioned my expertise in a certain area of recreation, (youth camping related), when we wrote our background bios. Unfortunatly, for the PA, when he bought it up with the professor, he did not know at that time that he was on the area board of directors of the youth orginization, that my family worked for. According to the prof, (he said the guy was embarassed and shocked), "Mr. *, she has been doing this since she was in diapers, walking and talking!" :D

A few months later on at a gathering, my dad met the PA, (after I pointed him out in the crowd and was thinking "payback") and showed him a picture of me when I was in preschool, operating a water filled fire extinguisher, (if you don't know what I'm talking about, the mechanism is kinda like a "Super Soaker"), and a funny photo of me at 6, having "trouble" with a water hose. Well, my dad thought it was funny, I didn't, after have hurting my knee. The PA and my dad were having a good old laugh about it, while I gave them the "you guys are so in the doghouse" look!:mad: It took a few days for my dad to get back in my good graces, as for the PA, I don't know what happened to him! :rolleyes:

Teachers today do more teaching kids what to think as opposed to how to think. Also, social engineering is the first course of the day always.

Teachers today do more teaching kids what to think as opposed to how to think. Also, social engineering is the first course of the day always.

The only thing the kids are taught here is how to pass the state-mandated exams at the end of the year. No critical thinking required, just regurgitation of facts on multiple choice tests.

Unfortunately, of the six levels of the cognitive domain of Blooms Taxonomy (knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation), most public educators don't move past the first level, knowledge, which is just recall of facts.

The only thing the kids are taught here is how to pass the state-mandated exams at the end of the year. No critical thinking required, just regurgitation of facts on multiple choice tests.

Unfortunately, of the six levels of the cognitive domain of Blooms Taxonomy (knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation), most public educators don't move past the first level, knowledge, which is just recall of facts.

I try to work on my kids' abstract thinking abilities. Memorization is just pretty low on the knowledge spectrum.

So, we go to the principal's office at 11AM to see what is going on. My son's teacher says that our son is being very disruptive in class. I asked "in what way?" She says that she calls him Joshua and that he continually states that is not his name. I asked what he says his name actually is. She says he says it is Josh. I tell her that his name is really Josh. She tells me that is ridiculous, Josh is a nickname for Joshua. I tell her that we have named our son Josh, not Joshua. She insists that his name is Joshua, not Josh. The Principal steps in and asks me if we can prove that his name is Josh and not Joshua. I tell him "you bet, would like to see his birth certificate?" He says that he would. I ask him to pull out the records that the school owns and take a look. He calls for them. The records, a copy of his birth certificate, his immunization records and our application for admission to the school all show his name to be Josh not Joshua. I ask the principal if he has any further questions. He smiles and says "not at all." I ask the teacher if she has any questions. She says "who in their right mind would give their child a nickname instead of a real name." The Principal steps in again and tells us that all is well and he will have discussion with the teacher.
I ran into that issue a few times in my life. My first name is actually Bobby, not Robert (was named after my father who was Bobby Joe, I have a different middle name though).
I would get teachers from time to time who didn't use nicknames, and would call me Robert. I would correct them, saying it's actually Bobby. Fortunately none challenged me on it, as it was easy to verify.

Once in the Marine Corps though, I did have a SNCO challenge me on it when he saw my dogtags. Told me that I wasn't allowed to have nicknames on them. He called in the Top on the issue to have me reprimanded. He got really redfaced when I whipped out my ID & birth certificate showing Bobby.

For that teacher, I would have expected an apology, and not left until getting one.
I have a feeling though that the principle chewed her ass off after seeing the comment "he will have discussion with the teacher", and rightly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)