When you're Number 1 you become a high profile target

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Is this a few isolated cases or wide spread major defect in the ipad?
I can't say as I can only comment on my own use history. I use my ipad in the shade next to my pool about 6 days a week on the average of 2-4 hours a day. The ipad is in the Apple case and while it does get warm to the touch, it never shuts down. I have never gotten any overheating warning. I don't use it in direct sunlight for two reasons. I fear for sun burn and skin cancer and it's just too damn hot in the Florida sun. But the thermometer averages between 95 and 105 within 10 feet of the ipad. The second reason is the screen is just not comfortably visible in direct sunlight. I can see it but in the shade is is fine with full screen brightness although this reduces the battery time to about 5 hours.

I would agree that the suggested uses claimed by the law firm are not just silly but dangerous. In our litigious society, where you can be sued as causing an accident if you give a hand gesture to another driver and he gets in an accident it would seem really stupid for Apple to advertise you can use your ipad as an e-reader while motorcycling. If that is true, Steve Jobs needs to fire his legal staff.

Scott Cole & Associates Says Apple iPad False Advertising Continues
12:43p ET August 16, 2010 (Business Wire)

Apparently undeterred by a rash of consumer complaints and the filing of a national class action lawsuit, Apple, Inc. has continued to market its iPad tablet as an outside computing device, according to Scott Cole & Associates, APC, the law firm that filed the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed in San Francisco on July 23, 2010, alleges that Apple engaged in a marketing campaign that promised functionality of the iPad outdoors and/or in warm conditions indoors, yet the computer routinely shuts down quickly in such situations. "Apple claims the iPad can be used in the sun, in your car, and in warm climates up to 95 degrees," explains Scott Cole, the principal attorney for the plaintiffs. However, Cole notes that "numerous reports, going back months now, explain that the device shuts down in temperatures as low as the mid-70s. Did Apple really not know about this before it sold nearly four million units?"

Since launching the iPad in April, Apple has advertised the product at Apple - iPad - See the web, email, and photos like never before. as suitable for warm environment use, including as an outdoor e-reader, an over-the-stove cooking aid and a vehicle interactive mapping tool -- usages that are unrealistic, if not outright dangerous. "Sticking the iPad to your motorcycle's gas tank with Velcro and expecting it to work for more than a block or two is absurd," explains Cole. "Continuing this unrealistic marketing campaign may be profitable in the short term, but it denies consumers the right to make informed purchasing decisions. That's unlawful." The lawsuit, entitled Baltazar, et al. v. Apple, Inc. (USDC Case # C10-03231EMC), seeks damages and a Court Order stopping all illegal advertising of the iPad.

Oakland-based Scott Cole & Associates, APC is one of California's premiere class action law firms and is devoted to representing individuals in employment and consumer rights litigation. For more information about the firm, visit California Class Action Lawyers - Consumer Rights and Employment Attorneys - Overtime Pay, Minimum Wage, Meal & Rest Break & Expense Reimbursement Law Firm or contact Scott Cole at (510) 891-9800 or scole@scalaw.com

SOURCE: Scott Cole & Associates, APC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts