I need to build a desktop for TVRO

NewsTips

EM84tx
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 19, 2012
Taylors,SC
Can anyone suggest a PC for me? I want to build a desktop with BitCoin speed.
Able to run an RF tuner like the 5927.

SSD's? whose?
Case?
PowerSupply?
AMD or Intel? I hear Intel is getting their act together again.
Motherboard?
Video card with lots of cores.

OTHER suggestions?
_

Do you want the computer to do TVRO or bitcoin mining?

You can certainly use an SSD for the boot drive but I wouldn't waste money using them anywhere else. They're too expensive and too small to be practical and neither DVR nor bitcoin mining are going to tax a conventional hard drive.

The bitcoin part is all about having multiple display cards (three or more). CPU money is poorly spent in both a DVR or a mining scenario.

I submit you may be better off (financially and performance-wise) with two computers rather than one. Another issue is that a bitcoin machine is going to be loud and hot (~1,000 watts) and you wouldn't want that anywhere near a TV viewing room.

Reactions: Foxbat
I thought the only way to effectively mine was to use silicon (ASIC) miners. Or was that just for BitCoin?

I thought the only way to effectively mine was to use silicon (ASIC) miners. Or was that just for BitCoin?
Where a TVRO and a Bitcoin mining machine converge is with multiple display adapters. ASICs are the hot topic to be sure but they have no place in a conventional computer. Unless you have power cheaper than is available in North America, Bitcoin mining is a losing proposition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)