I need to build a desktop for TVRO

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NewsTips

EM84tx
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 19, 2012
Taylors,SC
Can anyone suggest a PC for me? I want to build a desktop with BitCoin speed.
Able to run an RF tuner like the 5927.

SSD's? whose?
Case?
PowerSupply?
AMD or Intel? I hear Intel is getting their act together again.
Motherboard?
Video card with lots of cores.

OTHER suggestions?
_

Do you want the computer to do TVRO or bitcoin mining?

You can certainly use an SSD for the boot drive but I wouldn't waste money using them anywhere else. They're too expensive and too small to be practical and neither DVR nor bitcoin mining are going to tax a conventional hard drive.

The bitcoin part is all about having multiple display cards (three or more). CPU money is poorly spent in both a DVR or a mining scenario.

I submit you may be better off (financially and performance-wise) with two computers rather than one. Another issue is that a bitcoin machine is going to be loud and hot (~1,000 watts) and you wouldn't want that anywhere near a TV viewing room.

Reactions: Foxbat
I thought the only way to effectively mine was to use silicon (ASIC) miners. Or was that just for BitCoin?

I thought the only way to effectively mine was to use silicon (ASIC) miners. Or was that just for BitCoin?
Where a TVRO and a Bitcoin mining machine converge is with multiple display adapters. ASICs are the hot topic to be sure but they have no place in a conventional computer. Unless you have power cheaper than is available in North America, Bitcoin mining is a losing proposition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)