where are all the backhauls?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satellitedxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
The woodlands,Texas
Are all games uplinked to satellite? I would think they would have to be to be sent back to the station? Even if they are encrypted they should show up on the scan. I am a rockets fan and wish I could catch the feeds for them to see what the guys say when the commercials are up.

I saw an old list from 10 years ago where a guy had a backhaul list and every game was always up there,

So where are the backhauls?

Thanks and great site!

Not all games are uplinked to satellite, some backhauls are sent via fiber optics back to the studio.

Many backhauls use C-Band and some are on the Ku-Band.

I guess I dont understand the fiber optic thing....

Too bad we cant pick those up......

Doesnt the cable have to go all the way to the station on fibre? How do they do road games?

Fibre isnt done via satellite ;)

Most pro arenas have fibre already set up. So it runs over FSN's private line (fibre)

So as example...if its a MN Wild game from the Xcel Energy Center the path is
fibre from the arena to FSN North studios in Minneapolis for broadcast
or possibly to Houston where FSN is headquartered

road games follow the above line.....the arena has fibre so they send up one feed with 2 different broadcast groups (home and away)

there are 3 ways to get a signal from the stadium to the TV studio
satellite
fibre
microwave

Most of those fiber feeds are controlled, monitored and routed thru Tulsa and Level 3 Communications huge nationwide fiber network hub or at least they used to be. I have been out of that business for several years now, they may not be the big dogs in fiber telecom anymore.

no it still is Level 3 last I checked....I couldnt remember the name before...dang I was in the Telco industry for 7 years I should have remembered them ;)

too bad we cant pick those all up. Man, wish I could have been in the hobby 20 years ago! lol! How did they get all the feeds up back then with only 24 tps per c band and 32 per ku? I heard back then every feed shot to every station was up there to view! You are talking about a ton of feeds!! do the math, if they had say 20 c band sats and 20 ku in the Americas you were looking at 1120 total tps, how did they share I wonder? Must have been a feed up on most channels at all times!

Wow, that would have been amazing!

too bad we cant pick those all up. Man, wish I could have been in the hobby 20 years ago! lol! How did they get all the feeds up back then with only 24 tps per c band and 32 per ku? I heard back then every feed shot to every station was up there to view! You are talking about a ton of feeds!! do the math, if they had say 20 c band sats and 20 ku in the Americas you were looking at 1120 total tps, how did they share I wonder? Must have been a feed up on most channels at all times!

Wow, that would have been amazing!

Back then, not every game was being televised like they are now. Plus, there were alot less RSN's.

Not all games are uplinked to satellite, some backhauls are sent via fiber optics back to the studio.

Many backhauls use C-Band and some are on the Ku-Band.

That's correct. A friend of mine also says each park using fiber has satellite for backup. Perhaps they don't even fire up the uplink until a hard failure occurs. If it's an expensive game such as a playoff or the Superbowl, you can be assured the link is definitely up! :D

Attention Satellite DXER

Why don't you explain backhauls...

What are they?

Question for satellitedxer...
A backhaul is typically the raw feed from the source, before the TV station gets it and inserts their advertising and other stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)