Where are E*'s CES Announcements???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Okay what is VC-1 and why do I need it?
Don't worry about it, they have no plans to use it. Its just a feature that is built into their new broadcom chips. They thought by menioning this feature it ould make them sound more high tech.

On the show floor they were saying it was a bad idea to even mention the VC-1 as many 622 owners were coming up to them and telling them they were going to drop their 622's so that they could RA them and get the newer model.

A " small enabeling fee". RIGHT! I can see it now. THe fee will be about $5.98 or $6.00. It won't be waived for anything for either lease or those that own if you want it. This I DISH we are talking about. They never give you anything for nothing.

Actually they said this will be "one time feature enabling fee", which should, per my understanding, cover all receivers on account. Now...how much this fee will be...is to be seen...

I hoped that E* would announce their future programming plans, especially from HD side...telling us what to expect and how they plan to keep to be on the top of HD providers.
While I will belive it once I see it, D* announced their addition of 150 national HD channels and 1500 local HD channels until end of 2007...so in comparison E*'s 30 would start looking pretty measly very quickly.

I would be willing to pay a one-time charge of $20-$25.

Or (not *and*) a monthly fee of up to $2/month. I wouldn't be happy at $2/month but I'll admit that I probably would pay it.

But if the enabling fee is $50 or a monthly fee is $5/mon, then I would just go without.

Does anyone else feel like E* dropped the ball here??? D* announced a plan to add a lot more HD content in the coming year and E* has said NOTHING...

Does anyone else feel like E* dropped the ball here??? D* announced a plan to add a lot more HD content in the coming year and E* has said NOTHING...

I don't know if they ever had the ball but if they did, they dropped it or were sacked with one hell of a loss. How long has it been since we got anything really worth while. E* has been more interested in adding international coverage while ignoring D*. If D* does what they say, down res, HD or not, many will flock to D*, including me as I saw Sci-Fi on there list with some others I liked and some strange things are going on with the VOOM channels.

I'll repeat my impression of CES from another thread YAWN

We better get SciFi HD on E*. That, to me, is THE killer HD app. I've wanted that to materialize for a long time now...and if only D* is going to make the effort to carry it, that's going to make me chin scratch a bit.

Of couse, maybe Charlie is playing things close to the vest right now, waiting to see what the 'other guy' announces before letting the world know E*s plans. Sort of akin to taking a play out of Steve Jobs playbook--who likes to set up events for each 'baby' and time things in counter to the competition--and similarly, the world won't get to play w/ that new iPhone for months either (like external storage).

What's meant by the statement 500GB HDD for VOD capacity regarding the ViP 622-1 DVR? Does that mean the additonal storage capacaity above and beyond the the 622's 320GB can only be used for VOD?

"E* has been more interested in adding international coverage while ignoring D*"

Not even that. I don't remember E* adding anything in the last few months. Plus they keep coming out with new receivers while the current ones are not working at their full potential (USB port, Network port, etc...).

"E* has been more interested in adding international coverage while ignoring D*"

Not even that. I don't remember E* adding anything in the last few months. Plus they keep coming out with new receivers while the current ones are not working at their full potential (USB port, Network port, etc...).

Dish has always been bad about getting IRDs working well (except the 301 wish as always been fairly stable)

7x00 Dishplayer owners had to deal with years of crappy software before Dish got most of the bugs worked out.

Don't worry about it, they have no plans to use it. Its just a feature that is built into their new broadcom chips. They thought by menioning this feature it ould make them sound more high tech.

On the show floor they were saying it was a bad idea to even mention the VC-1 as many 622 owners were coming up to them and telling them they were going to drop their 622's so that they could RA them and get the newer model.

That's so funny to me. I would probably do the same thing!!!

I was really worried that VC-1 was the VOD format and that I wouldn't be able to watch any of the HD VOD. It would render my current 622 crippled for the VOD stuff.

I don't need a bigger hard drive (622-1) if they add USB drive support (and it is at a reasonable price).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)