where are those satellites?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
well, i finally got my dish mounted, pointing straight south, i set my hh120 motor to: latitude 40, set my 39" fortec dish at: 24 elevation, hooked the invacom qph-031 up with 1-c and 1-l into the switch, and 1 cable to the motor, then a cable to the sat meter, and i've moved that dish every direction and can't get the meter to even beep, let alone move! of course i had to wait till we had the coldest day this year to try to get this setup (20degrees with a nice brisk wind) or i would have takin my receiver and a small tv outside. i'm in indiana, about 50mi north of indy, does the setup sound about right? should i wait for till its a little warmer and try the receiver and tv to find the sats and forget trying to use the meter? thanks for any help!

What is your true south satellite?

I think having the switch is causing problems. If your TS is a linear satellite, just hook the meter right to an L port. If it's a circular one, hook it to a C port.

Generally it's suggested you leave all switches out of the setup when you're aiming. Less variables to have to deal with.

my longitude is 85w, so i'm looking for amc-3 at 87w. how can you tell if the satellite is l or c? never thought about leaving the switch out. i was just hooking up everything before i got to the receiver.

85 & 87 are linear

once in a while there is stuff on AMC2 (85W) but 87 would work too (there is a few channels on AMC3 87W). Just make sure to set up USALS and motor to 87W before aiming the dish. Otherwise it will be off when you move the dish

the sat finder needs to have power from the reciever, yeah? once coax from reciever to sat finder then another from sat finder to lnb. increase the dB dial untill the needle is moving

ps also sometimes, at least to me, the cheapo sat finders seem attracted to a stronger satellite and actually lure me away from a better picture

thanks guys! that helped ALOT!! i'll try that in the morning. but still one more q...do i just hookup the linear side to the receiver and get the sat, then hookup the c side and do a blind scan? bear with me here, i'm old and love learning this hobbie

no
Linear is for most of the satellites
Only C ones are the DBS satellites
Dish 110, 119, 129, 148, 61.5
ExpressVu 82, 91 (also called Nimiq in the list)

well i took your advice and hooked up the sat meter to the "l" side of the invacom, turned the dish just a hair west and bingo!! needle on the meter went nuts, started beepin and all kinds of good stuff!! now i just gotta brave the cold and hookup the receiver and tv to make sure i got the right sat. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Glad to hear you got it going!

I was actually up on my roof today doing some minor repair work. We had a nasty storm blow through on Friday and my 119w fixed dish had moved (I went to listen to some music and no signal on the Coolsat). Sure enough, a wind gust had blown the dish about 10 degrees to the north.

Interestingly my 90cm Fortec (now sporting a recently-purchased QPH-031... AWESOME lnb btw) was still rock solid on the motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)