Where do I go from here?

Ace68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Snow Belt, OH
I recently purchased the new Sony BDP-S580 Blu Ray player.

Here is my dilemma:
First of all my TV & A/V Reciever Supports 1080i (Component only)(No HDMI ports)

It appears I have been ambushed by "Analog Sunset" (Thanks to the other members for filling me in) I am not in the market to replace my TV (She won't let me)

Are there any Blu ray players still on the market that will let me view 1080i through component cables?

Can't find much info on BB site. (This is where I will be returning my S580)

Any Help would be greatly appreciated (looking around $150)

Yes, but you need to move quickly. The Sony BD-X70 (370, 570) will still work correctly over component. So will last year's players of all manufacturers, such as Panasonic BD-65, 85, etc. LG and Samsung as well.

For the most part, the new players are not hitting the shelves until next month. If you are unsure about a particular player, take a peek on Amazon and look for the field that gives the date first offered on Amazon. Look for dates in 2010.

I say do it quickly though because the new players will hit the shelves in a couple of weeks. You may be able to get good closeout deals, but then these players will be gone quickly.

For now, yes. Any of last year's models. However, Current players component capabilities will be phased out completely over time. Studios may also install an Image Constraint Token to the disc to disallow HD over component at any time now. Fox will probably be the first knowing their history.

S~

Are you sure you don't have a DVI port on your TV set? Because that would work too (HDMI to DVI cable).

I just looked up your TV set (you mentioned Toshiba 61H70 in another thread). Looks like you indeed have component inputs only: no HDMI, no DVI. This is one of those early HDTV-ready sets released when digital interfaces were not standard yet.

I think you should really consider upgrading your TV set in the near future. These days you can buy a much better set for a fraction of what you probably paid for this set 10 years ago. You will benefit in several ways:

1. Since this is a CRT, it is probably not as bright and not as sharp as it used to be.
2. Even if the CRT guns are still good enough, CRT RPTV sets never had full HD resolution, especially in horizontal direction. Just because it can accept the 1080i signal, doesn't mean that it can preserve the HD resolution when displaying it.
3. CRT RPTV's are interlaced, while all modern TV sets are progressive.
4. The 4:3 aspect ratio of your TV set significantly degrades HD picture quality. Most of HD programming today is 16:9, or even wider. With a 4:3 TV set you either get black bars at the top and at the bottom of your screen, or you have to zoom the picture. In either case you lose the resolution.

When you put a modern big-screen HDTV set next to your old one, you will be amazed by the difference in picture quality!

If you are not ready for a new HDTV purchase, then go with a last year's Blu-ray player model with component output. That will buy you some time.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts