Where do old satellites go to die?

setdesigngirl

Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Hi I'm Kimberly.

I work as a set designer for the film industry...and I need a 4 ft satellite dish to be used in a movie I am working on. It doesnt even need to work, its just needs to be about 4 ft diameter and sit there and look pretty for the camera.

We are filming in Seattle, WA primarily and need this asap.

Would anyone have any idea where we might get one? We have looked on Craigslist, but seems they are always gone or too big, or too small or too expensive, so were having no luck.

Also, we are a lower budget production, so we dont have a ton of cash to spend on the dish.

If anyone might be able to help me, I would SO appreciate it!!

Thank you,

Kimberly

you can buy a fortec for about $150 if you're that pressed for time and have to have a 48" dish. If you look hard enough, you can get a 30" dish for around $60. But if you're looking for the "Prime Focus" generic satellite dish, drive around until you see one facing the wrong direction (not upward) and knock on the door. Chances are you'll get one for free.

Or you could just go for a DirecTV dish and spraypaint over the logo ;)
It's a movie, why does the dish have to be 4'?

Last edited:
A 36" primestar would probably be easier to find. They are still everywhere down here (mississippi). Matter of fact I can think of one right now that is just lying on the ground.

setdesigngirl said:
Hi I'm Kimberly.

I work as a set designer for the film industry...and I need a 4 ft satellite dish to be used in a movie I am working on. It doesnt even need to work, its just needs to be about 4 ft diameter and sit there and look pretty for the camera.

We are filming in Seattle, WA primarily and need this asap.

Would anyone have any idea where we might get one? We have looked on Craigslist, but seems they are always gone or too big, or too small or too expensive, so were having no luck.

Also, we are a lower budget production, so we dont have a ton of cash to spend on the dish.

If anyone might be able to help me, I would SO appreciate it!!

Thank you,

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly,

Call Todd Humphrey 360-661-2744 and he can set you up... He is just East of Seattle...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)