What's Happening with Suscom Transition to Comcast?

drbonbi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Comcast officially took over all Suscom TV and internet operations in nine locations as of May 1. I jumped off D* and came back to Suscom-Maine in Brunswick, ME soon after, when I heard that Comcast was making arrangements to carry the CBS HD feed from WGME Channel 13 in Portland, a Sinclair owned station. That was supposed to happen by early June. It didn't. I'm also hoping for NESN HD on the Suscom-Maine lineup which is carried by other Comcast New England MSOs.

Except for a price increase for Suscom customers in York, PA. and taking my Suscom-Maine credit card payment in the name of Comcast, nothing has happened. Comcast posted an FAQ here http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/Faq2_366_0.html which says that Suscom customers can expect to get Comcast services by "early Fall." It also says that Comcast will communicate "early and often." It doesn't say starting when.

A Suscom CSR blog I have read says that it is weird for them, too. They are expected to function as if they were still Suscom but they are not. Whatever Comcast is doing is not being shared in or outside Suscom, apparently.

I hope that LonghornXP can feret out some info. I am delighted to see that he is monitoring this forum. For those not aware, he was a major contributor of solid news that really was "early and often" on the D* Forums until he switched to Comcast. Many in D* land lamented his leaving as they lost a major source of reliable info.

Dana

Last edited:
Let me second the request. We in the Williamsport PA system got a notice of a price increase too, but no other news. They did add ESPN2-HD with no announcement, but they haven't even added all the digital locals yet (and I know they can receive them because with a QAM tuner I found them on the system for about a week a couple of months ago), plus they're still encrypting the digital locals even though everyone says Comcast never does that. There's no mention of Comcast at all on the Suscom website, and only the FAQ you found on the Comcast website. I was really looking for an address or phone number to jump on Comcast about the locals issue, but they just tell Suscom customers to continue dealing with the Suscom office, which was like pounding my head against a wall when I tried it a while ago.

Jim,

A SusCom subscriber in SW Indiana reports here http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,15733756 that his local system was in the process of being changed over by Comcast. Comcast trucks running around, etc. He received a Comcast cable lineup card back in May! No details so it makes you wonder. Someone else on the same thread claims that Comcast is changing over the SusCom midwest stations first.

Dana

Last edited:
I live in York where the heart of Suscom is and just talked to an exec from suscom that said it will all begin by the end of Sept if not earlier. We will see all the changes by the end of January, meaning On demand and their Voip.

On Demand is a waste of resources, and I won't go with VOIP because that would mean switching to them from my DSL provider, and even though I'm paying more for less speed, I hear that Comcast throttles speeds and that's unacceptable. My sole interest in this is getting my local HD stations since Dish doesn't have them and I can't get them OTA. Doing that would only cost them a few keystrokes most likely, yet they haven't done it yet -- which is just one of the many reasons I cut back on the amount of money I gave to Suscom, and won't be giving any more than necessary to Comcast.

Confused Suscom customer

Hi. In trying to find out if I could (as a Suscom York customer) receive local HD signals via my current standard cable by purchasing an HD QAM-capable receiver, I got nowhere talking to CS. I called again and got hold of a technical person by hitting the button to report an internet service problem (the only way to get a techie, it appears - I detest automated calling systems). She was not sure what I was talking about, but was kind enough to put me on hold to find out. She came back and said, which was news to her, that I could indeed get local HD broadcast channels by buying an HD receiver. But now, after reading the blogs on this, I am not so sure if that is so. Does anyone have any updated info on this?:confused: Thanks.

Comcast threw its SusCom Maine customers a bone today, adding CBS HD, the tube service and PBS HD this afternoon without notice. Getting CBS HD in time for Patriots football is BIG! Also, it has replaced SusCom's ID on The Weather Channel with its own. (The one that says "The Weather Channel is brought to you by ... ") Slowly, bits and pieces are falling into place.

Dana

CraigR said:
Hi. In trying to find out if I could (as a Suscom York customer) receive local HD signals via my current standard cable by purchasing an HD QAM-capable receiver, I got nowhere talking to CS. I called again and got hold of a technical person by hitting the button to report an internet service problem (the only way to get a techie, it appears - I detest automated calling systems). She was not sure what I was talking about, but was kind enough to put me on hold to find out. She came back and said, which was news to her, that I could indeed get local HD broadcast channels by buying an HD receiver. But now, after reading the blogs on this, I am not so sure if that is so. Does anyone have any updated info on this?:confused: Thanks.

CraigR,

Apparently you can get QAM broadcast channels if you lease a SusCom receiver. Here's what someone else recently reported here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-481307.html

"... SusCom encrypts the local HD channels, and they thought it was absurd that anyone else wouldn't when I asked them about it. They've since been bought by Comcast, but nothing has changed yet. They changed their fee schedule to say that local HD channels are included for free with the rental of a HD receiver (whereas before they wouldn't rent HD receivers without a subscription to their full HD tier), but they must be fixed-key rather than truly clear because anyone else's QAM tuner still reports them as encrypted."

Comcast's polcy is different. "Customers with an HD set with a 256 QAM tuner would be able to receive all HD broadcast channels (ie WGBH HD, WBZ HD etc.) without the need of an HD box. The HD box is necessary to receive the non-broadcast HD services (ESPN HD, Discovery HD etc.)." http://www.comcast-ne.com/catv_faqs.html#box4

Dana

drbonbi said:
Comcast threw its SusCom Maine customers a bone today, adding CBS HD, the tube service and PBS HD this afternoon without notice. Getting CBS HD in time for Patriots football is BIG! Also, it has replaced SusCom's ID on The Weather Channel with its own. (The one that says "The Weather Channel is brought to you by ... ") Slowly, bits and pieces are falling into place.

Dana

In Williamsport, the local segment on The Weather Channel disappeared yesterday -- we're only getting the national feed now. Hopefully this is only temporary, but it's not indicative of them knowing what they're doing...

Jim S. said:
In Williamsport, the local segment on The Weather Channel disappeared yesterday -- we're only getting the national feed now. Hopefully this is only temporary, but it's not indicative of them knowing what they're doing...

Jim,

Well, you're still ahead of SusCom Brunswick, ME. in that you have ESPN2 HD. We don't. By the way, I did stumble across a list of Comcast phone numbers here http://www.cmcsk.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=147565&p=irol-contact but I suspect they won't respond to issues involving the SusCom takeover.

Dana

I live in the Rankin County, MS Suscom market. I was not a big fan of Suscom at all, but am interested in switching from DirecTV to Comcast. The only problem is that everybody around here is clueless regarding the switch. I'm interested in the Comcast channel lineup and their services, On Demand in particular. So far, all I've heard is "next year" or "in November". The only piece of info I've really received is that I was told to continue to monitor the Comcast website, and as soon as the channel list page is updated, then the channel lineup will switch.

We are a suburb of Jackson, MS which is currently a TW market switching to Comcast. Supposedly, their switch will take place around September 1st. It's frustrating that we are hearing NOTHING in regard to the Suscom => Comcast switch.

SusCom Williamsport continues to be brain-dead. While I was at work, an "independent salesman" (whatever that is) was here trying to sell my parents on the digital cable package that he apparently didn't know we just cancelled last month when I got Dish. The channel lineup card that he gave them was still SusCom's, as was the name on all the literature. Unfortunately my parents did not ask the bozo anything about the Comcast transition. Apparently they've been ignoring everything I've been trying to tell them for the last six months because "they don't understand technology"! I wish I had been home -- the salescreep wouldn't have set foot in the house, and I would've demanded to know why we still can't get our digital broadcast channels with a QAM tuner.

York, PA Suscom customers being traded to Time-Warner

I threw in the zipcode for York into Comcast's lineup generator.
It seems that as part of the Adelphia buyout, Suscom people in York County, PA are being tossed over to Time Warner along with Adelphia folks.
Time Warner's lineup generator also confirms.

Derwin0 said:
I threw in the zipcode for York into Comcast's lineup generator.
It seems that as part of the Adelphia buyout, Suscom people in York County, PA are being tossed over to Time Warner along with Adelphia folks.
Time Warner's lineup generator also confirms.

I cannot confirm what you report by using the TWC page here http://www.twcusoon.com/ and entering ZIP 17401 for York, PA. I get this message "Your area has not been affected by recent service changes. Please visit your cable company's website for more information."

The SusCom York, PA. Welcome page is still here http://www.suscom.com/home/sites/?city=york

Please share your links with us.

Dana

Last edited:
http://www.comcast.com/Localization/Localize.ashx?Referer=%2fSupport%2fChannelGuide.ashx%3fLinkID%3d361
typed in all the York area zip codes of 17402, 17403, 17404, and Hanover zip code of 17331.
I also typed in a firm address that is on Rathton Rd. (well within Suscom territory, as opposed to Adelphia).

Was greeted with the following message:

Nice to Meet You
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
Time Warner Cable is your new cable company.
Thanks to a recent shift in cable coverage areas, you're now a Time Warner Cable customer. For the most part, you won't have to do a thing. You can just sit back and enjoy a new and improved cable service.
Only now, you'll also have the latest in digital products and services available to you. Take it from us - we've been doing this for over 38 years, and we've never been more excited about what we have to offer.
Here's what you can enjoy from now on:
  • Customer support available 24/7, 365 days a year
  • Friendly and well-informed employees who live in the area
  • Local neighborhood offices open late and even on weekends
  • Innovative products that will amaze you
  • Customized products and services for business

Yes, I was able to get the same message by using the address of the York Daily Record 1891 Loucks Road York, PA 17404. But, I don't see that they have this story yet. You scooped them!

Dana

Still nothing for Williamsport. What's this business about Time-Warner? Does Comcast own them too? I thought we weren't supposed to have monopolies in this country...

Jim S. said:
Still nothing for Williamsport. What's this business about Time-Warner? Does Comcast own them too? I thought we weren't supposed to have monopolies in this country...

It has to do with the Adelphia bankruptcy and takeover by Comcast and TWC. Buried in the documents is the understanding that the two cable giants would trade territories - not necessarily Adelphia systems - in some cases to achieve better alignments.

But up to now, there hasn't been any mention of the SusCom systems being involved.

Dana

I called Adelphia for my area. I asked if my area was going to Comcast or Time Warner. The CSR was adament that it was going to Comcast. I mentioned what the website said, so he punched in my actual address and confirmed that it was going to Time Warner instead.

The comcast website is now different. With York zip codes and addresses I now get the message:

We're Sorry
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif
We are unable to find a match in our system for the address and/or ZIP Code you entered. Go to www.thisiscable.com or call 866-49Cable to reach the cable company serving your area!

I entered an address from the Suscom territory and it sent me back to Comcast's website, which then sent me back to thisiscable.
I entered an address from the Adelphia territory and it sent me to Adelphia's website.
The York Daily Record address ends up with the website saying it didn't know where it goes.

Makes you wonder if anyone knows whats happening...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts