Where do those "new" eBay receivers come from?

StevenMark

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
There are a LOT of 625 receivers on eFee, uh I mean eBay being sold as new in the box, opened for inspection. I know that has to be a euphemism for something but do not know what. It just seems odd there are a lot of new open box receivers for sale, significantly below retail. Where are they getting those things?

That's a good question. From what I've seen, most of the new 625s seem to come from satellite dealers. It could be that they're selling them at cost or can't offer them anymore to customers because they're opened boxes.

I bought my 625 on eBay, it was brand new and it's been working great.

I bought a 625 a few weeks ago from a Power Seller with nothing but new Dish receivers in his 30-day sales history (49 of them). There were 14 625's in the lot, all selling below $200. He does not have a Seller's Store and does not include a business name in any of his communications. Not a big deal, I'm just the curious type.

I just looked and most of the prices are BELOW dealer cost.

Are they hot? This I don't know, but I find it strange that someone can sell new units for less then what dealers pay for them.

Maybe the 625 is about to be discontinued, or the deals on HD DVRs are about to eliminate them competitively. We ARE getting more HD DVR models, right? :rolleyes:

Seems like someone with scott's or claude's connections could take a few R00 numbers from these ebay auctions and find out from Dish who the legit "owner" is. Just a suggestion :)

Seems like someone with scott's or claude's connections could take a few R00 numbers from these ebay auctions and find out from Dish who the legit "owner" is. Just a suggestion :)

Actually it is prudent to check the R00 numbers with Dish Network before buying any receiver on eBay. I learned the hard way once when I bought a used 811 from an individual. Turns out it was under lease and he was not authorized to sell it. Fortunately it was an honest mistake and I got a full refund.

Brand new, never activated receivers are usually safe if you stick with an authorized dealer. It is possible that someone signs with Dish, get's a lease unit sent to them and then they try to sell it, never activating it.

That's what I've done in the past when I've looked for receivers on Ebay. I drop the seller a letter and ask for the R00 and S00 numbers for the receiver and explicitly state that it's so I can verify the receiver balance with Dish Network.

If they're legit, they'll give it to you immediately and you can call Dish up to check out if it's a good receiver or not.

If they hesitate or hem and haw, then you're dealing with someone shady.

I just bought a never used 322 that came from a dealer that was liquidating, it was still in a sealed plastic bag. Turns out that it had been on the shelf a year or more and the software was so far out of date ( too many versions in between) that it wouldn't update to the current software. Dish said this was pretty common and sent me a new replacement for free. I got lucky.So beware just because its never been used doesn't guarantee it's going to work right.

A retailer could probably sell it a little below their cost and still make a little bit off of it because i'm pretty sure they get some kind of kickback from dish for just activating a box.
I could be wrong on that, but I know anytime we sell a box outright we have to go onto the distributor site and enter the customers name, address, phone, ect. So i'm guessing they probably get paid something... then again, could be wrong.

Perhaps the dealer was liquidated without his knowledge and/or permission.

That's sort of what I was wondering. I would hope the S numbers are tracked from the time they are manufactured to prevent theft, but that may not be the case.

I have bought about 7 new receivers from E-Bay, always look for a seller with lots of good history, never had a problem and they have all worked great.

Who would I contact at Dish for this kind of information? Will their script monkeys know what I'm talking about?

Who would I contact at Dish for this kind of information? Will their script monkeys know what I'm talking about?

800 333 3474 all reps can HOPEFULLY confirm the roo number is OK.

Having bought LOTS of receivers on e bay its been fine, the only bad experience was a 522 that someone had removed the hard drive:( Claude had a used hard drive, he helped me out. His store is EXCELLENT!

Some new boxes may be E refurbs.........

nationwide dealers go out of business daily for a wide variety f reasons or a cash starved dealer might need money desperately, sell below cost and hope to make it up when the box gets activated

From a dealer standpoint and someone who buys and sells equipment on a regular basis, just about everything being sold on ebay below dealer cost is stolen!

All the equipment being sold on ebay below dealer cost, is equipment that a new customer would get if they signed up as a new customer.

What happens is this, most of the people selling stolen equipment on ebay either work for a regional service provider that does installations for DISH Network or they work for DISH Network service corporation.

Its a matter of inventory control, the installer is given a work order and equipment to install for a paticular customer. For whatever reason the customer cancels the appointment or it can't be installed due to NLOS. Now the installer has got all this equipment in his truck, and he simply doesn't turn it in at the end of the day.

Many of these companies do hundreds of installations per week, and its literally kaos trying to coordinate all the installers and make sure everyone is doing their Job.

These companies many times do not scan out the equipment to the installers, they hand them the receiver in the morning to go and install it, and if the Job doesn't go in they are expected to turn it back in the following morning.

Even at my office we don't scan out equipment to installers, I can't tell you how many Dishpro Plus Twin LNB's we have in inventory at any given time. We have so many that go bad in the field, its really hard to track.

The other place where these installers get parts is if they are on an installation and there is a Dish already on the customers house. The customer doesn't know better, the installer uses the old Dish and keeps the new one they where susposed to give to the customer.

The same thing goes for upgrades, you do a Dish upgrade and they send the installer out with a new switch and Dish. Unless the customer is smart enough to create a stink and ask for it the installer usually takes the Dish and old switches with him. How many times on here have we read that they had Dish come out to do an HD Upgrade and got all new Dishpro Switches and LNB's and the installer stole the old SW64 switch that the customer paid over $100 for at one time?

Or the installer will keep all the old crap LNB's and switches he got from doing upgrades on his truck, get to a new installation and install the old crap LNB for the new customer and sell the new LNB the customer was susposed to get on ebay.

Hell, I even heard of stories where DISH Network employees where stealing Quad LNB's right out of the DISH Network Warehouse!!!

Or better yet, what about all those old LNB's you see on ebay with big X's written on the lenses? Those came from the Service Department, they are literally disgarded in a big pile and sold off as scrap by the pound.

The same goes for all those $4 remotes you see plastered all over the place.

ITS ALL STOLEN

I wouldn't be buying an eBay stock anytime in the future. EBay is the largest STOLEN GOOD FENCING OPERATION in the world, and they know it.

As in all e-commerce, the law and regulatory agencies will eventually catch up with them. Just do a search on the cnbc.com website for eBay.

I wouldn't be buying an eBay stock anytime in the future. EBay is the largest STOLEN GOOD FENCING OPERATION in the world, and they know it.

As in all e-commerce, the law and regulatory agencies will eventually catch up with them. Just do a search on the cnbc.com website for eBay.
We all know that is the truth, I get around it knowing I paid for the item :).Is what cracks me up the the jackalopes that get caught up in the process of an auction and pay more than they would have retail. Either way, I think I need to go find a new 211 for like 50.00.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts