Where do you shop for gear?

griz_fan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
Meridian, Idaho
I've seen a lot of threads asking "where should I buy this or that?" I've done a lot of online shopping over the years, so here are some resources that have helped me out when shopping for home theater eqipment.

First, I only buy from manufacturer-authorized retailers. When in doubt, I check the manufacturer website. Some companies won't honor a warranty if purchased from an unauthorized retailer.

Next, I checkout www.resellerratings.com for reviews of a potential shopping site. I find this site particularly interesting because of the user comments.

Cables - For cables and other connection accessories, I've had outstanding success with Monoprice.com. Their prices put to shame the big retailers, best price for cables I've seen, and good service, too. My only complaint is that their standard shipping can take a few days, and upgraded shipping rates often exceeds the cost of the product (because the product is so inexpensive). I also like the selection available at Parts Express.

Shop Onkyo - If you've decided on Onkyo gear, you owe it to yourself to checkout this website, the official factory outlet site for Onkyo products. Their inventory varies, but they often have factory re-manufactured products for amazing prices. For example, the HT-S790 home theater in a box system (which is widely regarded as the best sounding system that doesn't break the bank) generally sells for $500 at retailers such as Circuit City. Shoponkyo.com has the refurb of this system for $329, with ground shipping included. Create an account, use points and you can even knock an extra ten bucks off that price.

Vanns.com - Sort of a sentimental favorite for me, since they're from my home town, but their prices and service (check them on resellerratings.com) are outstanding. They carry a wide range of products, including the big 70-inch range TVs, and carry several manufacturers, too. Throw in the fact that most products ship free and that they are from a sales tax free state, and you have a good deal waiting to happen.

Onecall.com - A direct competitor of Vanns.com, these guys also excel at service, variety of product and pricing. I've ordered lots of stuff from these guys over the years, and each time, they call me a few days after the product arrives to make sure everything is working out. A small gesture in proactive customer service, but it is a very nice touch that shows how important happy customers are to these people.

Circuit City - I've always had good luck with these guys, though some retailer review sites indicate that I'm in the minority. Their prices aren't the best, but I really like their website. Very informative, great customer reviews. And, if you have a Circuit City store where you live, the order online, pick up locally functionality can't be beat. A model for online/brick & mortar integration.

While I'm sure there are plenty of other resources out there, these have helped me over the years, so I'm hoping they'll help others as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts