Where is a good place to park a 85cm dish during a snow storm?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
I have my 10' C-band as low on the arc as possible during a snow storm, but now I have a 85cm that can be moved and just was wondering where I will get the least amount of snow collecting in or on the surface? Thanks.

Same place as the big dish< I would think. Thankfully I don't have much experience with sure-nuff snowstorms to offer a better idea. Logically, the higher the dish face is, the less snow would stay on it, point low! Maybe a little carwax or something similar would even improve the dish's snow shed-ability.

Best option is to invest in a broom with a long handle since snow can come from almost all directions in a storm.

I simply broom it out as necessary. :) A bigger problem for me is that the Ku dish is only about 18" off the ground, and the snow gets a good bit deeper than that. I frequently have to go out and shovel around the dish , so it can move freely and not be "snow-blocked" .
:)

It's the snow on the end of the lnb that's the problem.
I never had a problem with snow on the dish itself.
A 16oz plastic cup cut and slid over the lnb works good as a hood to keep the ice and snow off it.

You can park it in front of my shed. The SNOW has never bothered any of mine. Now, the wind is another subject...

That being said, snow load has never been a real problem as far as I can tell, except on the LNBF. And that only blocks the signal faster than snow on the dish, even.

If the snow does manage to stick, it is only during those storms with the wet sticky snow.
The rest of the time the snow is dry and falls right off.

I always put mine on true south for a couple reasons
-if snow gets on the dish, true south the sun will melt it quicker
-my dishes have the highest clearance on true south so when we get snow I can sweep/snow rake under it

good point Iceberg & since I need to clean mine too, I'll leave it due south or maybe 101W because I like watching there anyway.

looking at your loc I'm about an hour + west of ya (SW Twin Cities) so we both have the same kind of weather.

Hope you dont get slammed with snow this early in the season

I could care less if it ever snowed here again! I hate snow and the only thing good about winter is that I have a time share in Cancun, Mexico in January. Airfare is gonna kill my FTA budget this winter. As I want to buy a AZBox or something to get 4:2:2

Snow means I don't have to mow the lawn, which I had to do yesterday,and my yard will look as good as the neighbors'.

Some pretty well thought-out answers.
I particularly liked Icebergs point of view.

So, what does a lizard who grew up in Florida and currently resides in California know about snow?
Not much.
Those few years in South Dakota wasn't that bad.
A winter or two in Tennessee wasn't fun, though.

So, you'll excuse me if I couldn't hold my tongue any more...
Where's a good place to park your dish in a snowstorm?
Why, under the porch, of course... ! - :up

Attachments

• inverteddish.jpg
    inverteddish.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 131
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)