Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Does this mean we can use more than one external hard drive at once on the 622/722 since we can use up to 6 TB 's? Could we hookup a usb 2.0 splitter to connect up to it and use multiple hard drives with it?

What if the internal hard drive goes out in the 622/722? Can we still use the external hard drive(s) without a problem?

Why doesn't Dish Network make ALL receivers DVR compatable (at least ones with USB ports) to where you can connect an external hard drive to it, like they do with the PocketDishes?
In the video he stated that they can support up to 4 USB2 drives so even with standard USB drives out there, we are talking TB of storage. Any USB2 Hub should work. And he indicated that the drive will be 'keyed' to the DISH account, so you can move the drive to any compatible Receiver in the house, like the ViP222 and maybe even the ViP211.

I expect that these will be limited to the MPEG4 receivers though.

One feature I didn't see in the video that I would like to have with this is the Auto-Archive feature when the primary drive gets down to say 4 hours of HD. If you go away for 2-3 weeks and have a bunch of stuff to record, it would be nice if the receiver would 'move' the oldest programs automatically to the external drive to free up recording space.

That video is very impressive. It certainly looks like they have implemented this correctly. I will continue to hold off buying discs until it is released, but I am excited to be able to usefully expand the 622's HD.

It's best to get down as close to a single code base to maintain as possible. So Dish should move to a single family of boxes (ViP?) that are MPEG-4, 8PSK and HD capable. Some older models will no doubt have programming and code space issues with trying to add features. Heck, some older boxes might even have CPU speed issues. Stop wasting resources on adding features to pre-ViP receivers. Phase them out.

I noticed the clip they were playing on the TV in the demo. I guess that's one way of attracting attention.

Auto archive fee, $5. Just kidding.

It's best to get down as close to a single code base to maintain as possible. So Dish should move to a single family of boxes (ViP?) that are MPEG-4, 8PSK and HD capable. Some older models will no doubt have programming and code space issues with trying to add features. Heck, some older boxes might even have CPU speed issues. Stop wasting resources on adding features to pre-ViP receivers. Phase them out.

I noticed the clip they were playing on the TV in the demo. I guess that's one way of attracting attention.

Auto archive fee, $5. Just kidding.

No way ( not for at least 2 years) I save $18 month BECAUSE I use , 7200,721,508 PVRs (DVR fee free) Like most this is a One HDTV house (For Now) I'm not looking for any new features ,but I wouldn't won't them "ignoring these models either "

Oh, I agree. I also have a 508 & 721. Take 2 years. Do I hear 3? :p

Just stop adding features. Make 'em stable and let go. And stop sending them out to new subscribers.

I thought I was the only one to notice that. It even stumped the presenter there for a split second. You could tell he wanted to get off of that scene, but he didn't want to stop the presentation. Then, he was relieved when a new scene came up, but then got nervous again when it went back to the "bad" location. :D

I bought the seagate 750GB internal SATA drive and bought an eSATA/USB2.0 case for it. Works great on my PC. We'll see what happens when I hook it up to my 622 after I sign up for this feature.

Yeah, Dish dongling the ESD for last year, but DirecTV HR20 have no limits. You can install your own internal disk any size.
Just tested Hitachi 1 TB as internal disk - same size for first two partitions, last one got a rest - 916 GB for recordings.
And using eSATA connector of the HR20 you could replace internal HDD to TBs storage without open a box - some ppl have 3.75 TB enclosure ( HW RAID-0).
Now tell me - can you do that to 622 ?

Last edited:
Wow Smith! That is awesome! I sure hope thae E* gets this up and running soon. I'm very jealous of the D* guys right now.

Man I did not know that, thanks for letting us know. :D :D

So far the software has gone out to a small group of a few hundred, it is expected to go out to another small group soon for further testing before going into wide release.

Yup I did get scooped I admitted it before. And I got scooped as I was holding information back (as I thought the information was incorrect that I received) (The data was marked For Internal Use Only - Pre Release Information)

After MrBoylans article ran I was called by the Dish Network PR department and was given the lowdown which validated what MrBoylan said. And then I reported it and updated the thread with the information I was given from the PR department as I have received it.

It is my fault for holding back on the origional info, I normally don't hold back but I thought the information I received contained an error in it, and I try my best to pass along as accurate information as I can. Perhaps later today if I get a chance I will post the document in the pub area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts