Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Since the 622 is Linux based it already as built in support for every format and USB support. The speed at which this is coming out at is a complete joke and I can't find any reason that it hasn't been out since day one. They already had the buttons ready for it JUST ENABLE IT ALREADY!
If they rush it out to us, then when there is any sort of problem with the software, people would whine "Why aren't they paying us to be beta testers?".

If they rush it out to us, then when there is any sort of problem with the software, people would whine "Why aren't they paying us to be beta testers?".
According to Scott, beta-testing was being conducted back in the fall of 2005...with favorable results. How difficult can this be? Seriously, external storage has been working just fine for cable for more than 2 1/2 years.
:confused:

Rush? Dish USB External Storage is flowing slower than molasses. The word "rush" should not be used when discussion their USB External Storage roll-out plan.

By-the-way, the end of summer is right around the corner...then fall...then winter...then another year.

DRM concerns are delaying it, I'm sure. Yes, I know some cablecos already do it.

Since the 622 is Linux based it already as built in support for every format and USB support. The speed at which this is coming out at is a complete joke and I can't find any reason that it hasn't been out since day one. They already had the buttons ready for it JUST ENABLE IT ALREADY!
A linux based device doesn't have native support for every format nor does it have native support for usb.

Just because a device is linux based doesn't mean it's got a full distro as a backend.
That said this should have been out over a year ago.

I think the hold up is contractual, movie studios aren't going to want people stock piling movies onto a stack of hard drives. We've already seen the influence HBO has over dish with the DRM on pocketdish. The eSata cable devices I've seen (Tivo Series 3 and SA8300HD) did not allow you to specify where recordings were stored and adding and removing drives can cause them to be reformatted.

well, I would sub to all movie pkg's if they did this, iam never home when its on, without HD space I just wont pay for what I cant watch@!

I think the hold up is contractual, movie studios aren't going to want people stock piling movies onto a stack of hard drives. We've already seen the influence HBO has over dish with the DRM on pocketdish. The eSata cable devices I've seen (Tivo Series 3 and SA8300HD) did not allow you to specify where recordings were stored and adding and removing drives can cause them to be reformatted.

I agree. Ideally they'd even like to charge you for viewing their trailers online. They want to make a buck each and every time their product is viewed - forever.

DISH would love for subs to think this but it's just not true. Other providers have enabled external storage and Charlie has said the feature is coming August\Summer. That would not have come out of his mouth if negotiations were still up in the air.

What is the difference in having DRM'd music from Itunes on your PC's internal HD or the same DRM'd music on your PC's external HD? There shouldn't have been the need to negotiate with anyone to get this feature enabled in the first place. :mad:

DISH would love for subs to think this but it's just not true. Other providers have enabled external storage and Charlie has said the feature is coming August\Summer. That would not have come out of his mouth if negotiations were still up in the air.

What is the difference in having DRM'd music from Itunes on your PC's internal HD or the same DRM'd music on your PC's external HD? There shouldn't have been the need to negotiate with anyone to get this feature enabled in the first place. :mad:

And what would be the difference if your hard drive was located at a cable company facility? Cable lost this one in court (they are appealing). They wanted to be able to have all the hard drives at a central location so they could be serviced without having to roll a truck. Each sub would have had their own dedicated space, and would have to record the shows themselves. If they did not record the show they would not be able to get it any other way, so it would act exactly like a DVR at the house.

And what would be the difference if your hard drive was located at a cable company facility? Cable lost this one in court (they are appealing). They wanted to be able to have all the hard drives at a central location so they could be serviced without having to roll a truck. Each sub would have had their own dedicated space, and would have to record the shows themselves. If they did not record the show they would not be able to get it any other way, so it would act exactly like a DVR at the house.
NOT the same. Although I am hoping they will win the appeal.
The ruling was based on rebroadcasting, which it definitely is being rebroadcast from the cable company to the sub. So I see how the ruling was reached.

My example of Itunes music is a more apt comparison.

NOT the same. Although I am hoping they will win the appeal.
The ruling was based on rebroadcasting, which it definitely is being rebroadcast from the cable company to the sub. So I see how the ruling was reached.

My example of Itunes music is a more apt comparison.

I understand the argument and why they lost, but still it is a thin line. Your DVR records a show then rebroadcasts it to your TV. The equipment is owned by the cable company, it is just located at your house and not at the cable head end. It would be much different if the cable company only recorded one copy of a program and played it back to anyone that wanted it to save space. They were definitely going to have dedicated space and have it act like it was the same as in your living room.

I too hope the cable companies win this on appeal. It is not going to be pretty a few years from now when all the repairs are needed as all the hard drives reach end of life.

I understand the argument and why they lost, but still it is a thin line. Your DVR records a show then rebroadcasts it to your TV.
You are changing the meaning of "rebroadcast" to suite your argument.
A DVR plays back a recording like a tape-recorder plays back a song, a cable company plays back a recording like a radio station plays a song. There is a distinctive difference.

No one believes if you play a dvd in your home you are "broadcasting" it. But if the cable company played that same dvd to your tv that would be a "broadcast".

We are both on the same side. You are just wrong to equate cables server side recording to an external hard drive connected to the users box.

A linux based device doesn't have native support for every format nor does it have native support for usb.

Just because a device is linux based doesn't mean it's got a full distro as a backend.
That said this should have been out over a year ago.

A full distro would be a waste of space and most of it isn't need to run Linux. Linux has had USB support built into the Kernel since 2.4 with 2.2 supporting it through a patch. 2.4 was released in 2000. So really if they aren't using 2.4 or 2.6 then thats their fault. As far as formats I can't think of too many that it doesn't support and the one that they would use FAT is completely supported.

The difference is the itunes music is licensed and sold for you to keep. As I understand the betamax decision the court ruled it fair use only to time shift, not to keep recordings forever. The cable devices I've seen with external storage did not make it easy to use more than one external hard drive.

The difference is the itunes music is licensed and sold for you to keep. As I understand the betamax decision the court ruled it fair use only to time shift, not to keep recordings forever. The cable devices I've seen with external storage did not make it easy to use more than one external hard drive.
I am not planning on keeping recordings forever and no other sub should either. Yes the Itunes comparison is not perfect (just better than the rebroadcast one). I think that if you record LOST on a VCR, you OWN the tape not ABC and you can do with it what you want. Just like you can do the same thing with the same episode you buy from Itunes. No you can't sell it, rebroadcast it or other license violations, but you OWN both of them just the same.
Yes the talk right now is that you can move a HD from a receiver in one room to another and vice versa. And yea some may have more than one HD to swap out when one gets full. I hope this would be to get caught up on watching what they have recorded and not long term storage as anyone that has had a HD get corrupt or die on them would warn against.
How many people do you really think are going to add a 500 or 750 gig HD and then need more? Yea some of you are going to try and record every movie on HBO and then get pissed and rant when your HD dies, but most subs just need a little more space to get them through until the stuff they have recorded gets watched.

Let's not forget why the HD is tied to the account and not the device. It is for receiver replacements not permanent storage.

It would be nice if Dish were to roll this out this month, earlier rather than another month or 2. Would be nice to archive off a bunch of shows from last year before the new season begins.

OK. Announced finally.
Now back to future problems ( and I'm guarantee some of us will have it ! ).

How the activation of ESD will work in case if your lovely external enclosure with 750 GB disk will die ? Or just the disk and you will send it to Seagate and install new replacement ?

OK. Announced finally.
Now back to future problems ( and I'm guarantee some of us will have it ! ).

How the activation of ESD will work in case if your lovely external enclosure with 750 GB disk will die ? Or just the disk and you will send it to Seagate and install new replacement ?

Wild Assed Guess here but what I envision would happen is that when you plug the drive in to the DVR initially, it'll format the drive and drop some encryption method on the drive. If you install a new drive it'll do the same thing. They will probably encrypt it like they do the pocket dish files.

That's the key with the pocket dish, 1 way, and the external drives will be the same. The content will not be able to be moved back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)