Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Recently, I posted about buying a spare box and was going to get a cheapo 311 or something.

Wondering now, should I get a 222 as a spare.

Reason why I am wondering:

If I had a 622 with ext hdd support, and it crapped out. Could I put the 222 into service(since Ive already paid the one time fee and am paying a dvr fee already) and connect the HDD to continue enjoying my recorded programs as well as recording new programs until I get a new 622?

I was afraid of that. Too much to ask with the upcoming DRM I guess.

Couldnt you see it, taking a drive over to someones house to watch a HBO recording, even though he doesnt pay for HBO. :p

I thought he was talking about using the 622 internal drive and hooking to the 222, the Externals are supposed to be married to the account... :) eventually though the 622 will be the first to get and the other receivers later according to the chat...

No, I meant using an ext hdd with 622 recordings on a 222 if the 622 crapped out.

I believe the "account" feature will be added later. Err, I hope they don't mean their version of "soon." :rolleyes:

Tom, Jim was right - I found old thread with the numbers : 20 GB - system, 100 GB - VOD, 200 GB - user's recordings.

Well, then I was right too. 200GB is less than 250GB, just like I said!

However I should note that the 20-100-200 numbers were disputed after they were posted. I have never seen a verified answer as to how the 320GB is distributed. So I've been running with an estimated 200-250GB as a most likely answer.

If it is 200GB, and we can record in the neighborhood of 60-70 hours of MPEG4 HD programming on it, then it goes that a 500GB drive could record 150-175 hours.

Now I see why they discontinued development of external storage on the 921/942.

They are phasing out support for MPEG2 HD receivers and transitioning all HD to MPEG4 receivers.

It really makes more sense to develop 3 or 4 high tech receivers than supporting 7 or eight diverse HD receivers. It may put a hardship on a few subs, but I believe it will benefit everyone in the end.

Saw an ad this morning for a 1 terabyte western digital external USB HDD; $329 - the same price I paid for the 500GB drive a year ago. Pretty nice. And with a white casing, it looks like it would be a great drive to use with the 622, once external support arrives. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts