Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Saw an ad this morning for a 1 terabyte western digital external USB HDD; $329 - the same price I paid for the 500GB drive a year ago. Pretty nice. And with a white casing, it looks like it would be a great drive to use with the 622, once external support arrives. :)
Keep in mind the brand name external drives are plastic with no fans of any kind, some don't even have power switches on the case itself. Another point one of our members made on the above mentioned thread, is that if your large drive fails, all your programs on it are gone. It would be wiser to start with a smaller drive, 320 GB, then move to another IF you ever fill it up. That way, if one fails, ALL is not lost. Also check the threat regarding Seagate DB 35 drives, built specifically for DVR use.

The 3/4 TB limit has been posed as safe size from Dish engineers - that time they didn't have bigger disks.
It's same statement as any manufacturers of USB/FW/eSATA external storage have in a disclosure.

Not to turn this into a bargain thread on a feature that doesn't even exist but... 500 gig drives are less than $120 everyday at NEWEGG. So I don't see how $320 for a terabyte is a good deal.

Finally, it must be remembered that while "Ole Charlie" DID say "August," he DIDN'T say which year!

That a joke?
Do you think there is the slightest chance he wasn't talking about 2007?

I hate that we don't have the feature, I hate that DISH slips on release dates but what I hate more is the Never ending Pessimistic attitude by obviously Chronically Depressed posters that believe Everything DISH does Sucks and everything that they say is a Lie. And I am sure the Everything Sucks mentality doesn't stop with DISH. :(

I believe it has been announced that external storage for the ViP211 will happen some time later, well after it's been released for the ViP622.

Fine. Sell me the enclosure. Heck, sell me the drive. OK, sell me a lottery ticket. Just activate the external storage function!

Of course, I'll probably come to regret it- I'll record many more things that I'll never have time to watch. I've still got a sealed VHS tape of "Full Metal Jacket" that I've never watched or even opened. By now, I figure I'll never open it- might watch it on DVD instead. Which probably means, one day on Blu-ray. Or on HVD. Ok, ok- in the holosuite! :rolleyes:

Of course, I'll probably come to regret it- I'll record many more things that I'll never have time to watch. I've still got a sealed VHS tape of "Full Metal Jacket" that I've never watched or even opened. By now, I figure I'll never open it- might watch it on DVD instead. Which probably means, one day on Blu-ray. Or on HVD. Ok, ok- in the holosuite! :rolleyes:

lol...laughing with you not at you. I guess I'll throw in my $0.02 here and hope I don't get flamed. I used to have a Tivo Series 2 before I got an HD set. Somewhere along the way I modded the tivo with a bigger hard drive that allowed me to store a ridiculous number of shows on it. When all was said and done it was just like you said, I recorded many more shows that I was able to watch. So for me I haven't been on the edge of my seat waiting for external HD capability. Moving the HD from my 622 to my 211 seems semi-cool but i'm not holding my breath. I know everyone is different and some people will definitely use every bit of space they add. My experience tells me most of the extra HD space will fill up quickly with shows or movies that never get watched.

My experience tells me most of the extra HD space will fill up quickly with shows or movies that never get watched.

Ive got some recordings that have been in there for over a month. I only have time to watch a few things and something newer always comes on to record. No biggie. If something is that old and I dont watch it I probably never will. So if I need space, out it goes. The only things I really have saved are Young Frankenstein and the Star Wars special of Robot Chicken. Oh yes... we also have video tapes in boxes outside that havent been watched in several years. Many of them were taped off Laserdiscs (before DVDs were readily available) but never watched again.

Escape From New York and Enter the Dragon in HD are coming up later this week. Those I will definitely watch ;-)

I will believe it when I see it! We've waited a long time for this one.

Finally, it must be remembered that while "Ole Charlie" DID say "August," he DIDN'T say which year!

Again, believe it when you see it!

--Doug

I sure hope it's next month. I'm having to pick and chose what I want to keep and what I want to record now. At one point last week, I was down to 6 hours of HD space left. Got it back up to 9 hours, but had to sacrifice stuff I would've liked to have kept...

Since the 622 is Linux based it already as built in support for every format and USB support. The speed at which this is coming out at is a complete joke and I can't find any reason that it hasn't been out since day one. They already had the buttons ready for it JUST ENABLE IT ALREADY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts