Where oh where is ESPN2-HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
According to sea-launch, this blurb is now posted "A busy year is underway for Sea Launch, with six launches on our manifest. On February 28, we launched our most accurate mission to date with the XM-3 satellite, for XM Satellite Radio. We are now preparing for our next mission, scheduled for the Spring. "

and according to spaceflight now, the next sea-launch is Spaceway 1. "The Sea Launch Zenit 3SL rocket will launch the Spaceway 1 communications satellite for The DIRECTV Group. The spacecraft's Ka-Band payload will expand and enhance DIRECTV's direct-to-home television service and to provide satellite broadband services across the United States. [Feb. 6]"

BFG said:
they;ve been using bandwidth to show fsn hd games in the 90s

i don't understand the logic behind that AT ALL. if you're going to put the resources into regional FSN-HD NBA broadcasts on special events channel then promote it for christ's sake! directv just throws crap up on those channels and expects their customer base to just magically know they are there.

11 HD games on ESPN2HD in the next 3 days and we can't watch b/c D* has their thumb up their a$$.

11 HD games on ESPN2HD in the next 3 days and we can't watch b/c D* has their thumb up their a$$.

Agree!
that and TNTHD.....unacceptable!
every Tom Dick and Harry provider has TNT, but the so called Biggest DBS doesn't offer it.........what's up with that

Nope, I think it has been determined that no HD will be added until after the first of the new satellites are up & operational sometime around late May or June at the earliest.

I strongly agree with charper1. I don't think DirecTV is going to add anymore HD channels until the satellites are up and running and the new HD boxes will be out that can do MPEG4. I just can't see DirecTV launching a new channel in MPEG2 and then switch it out to MPEG4 in a couple months when they are ready. I don't think DirecTV would want to start broadcasting a channel to everyone and then take it away and say only those with MPEG4 boxes can now get it. If DirecTV launches a new channel today in MPEG2 I would think they would feel obligated to have it around until everyone was swapped out with new MPEG4 boxes which would be a couple years. That's a lot of bandwidth to waste for those couple years.

I think if we sit tight for a couple months more HD channels will be coming in the new MPEG4 format and we'll be able to get more HD channels because of DirecTV waiting for MPEG4.

Chris

CRendall said:
I strongly agree with charper1. I don't think DirecTV is going to add anymore HD channels until the satellites are up and running and the new HD boxes will be out that can do MPEG4. I just can't see DirecTV launching a new channel in MPEG2 and then switch it out to MPEG4 in a couple months when they are ready. I don't think DirecTV would want to start broadcasting a channel to everyone and then take it away and say only those with MPEG4 boxes can now get it. If DirecTV launches a new channel today in MPEG2 I would think they would feel obligated to have it around until everyone was swapped out with new MPEG4 boxes which would be a couple years. That's a lot of bandwidth to waste for those couple years.

I think if we sit tight for a couple months more HD channels will be coming in the new MPEG4 format and we'll be able to get more HD channels because of DirecTV waiting for MPEG4.

Chris

in short... the consumer is screwed while D* fumbles with the MPEG4 transition... because we all know that they will not be ready to go with MPEG4 by summer. 4th quarter of 2005 is my projection for MPEG4 on D*.

TNTHD has been available for over a year now I know, and they still want us to wait another year....Get In The Game D*!
I would be happy to see them drop universalHD and add TNT till the mpeg4 BS you talk about comes around

I also agree that , if I had to choose, I would rather have TNT-HD and the NBA in HD over anything I have seen on UHD so far.

I want both too :). I have watched some stuff on UHD and it's much better than Bravo HD was. TNT HD still does not have 100% HD all the time like UHD does so if I had to choose 1 I would take UHD.

I really was thinking we would have ESPN2HD come march madness but as of right now it is not looking so good. Do we now focus on hopefully having the channel come baseball season? I think I have given up on that idea too. The wait until mpeg4 sounds more realistic everyday.

I have been lucky enough to catch a few of the fox sports HD games but I don't understand why they don't make it more clear to people they are showing these games from time to time. Why can't they show the games on TNT HD & ESPN2HD on the special events channel that way they don't need full time bandwidth?

Let me clarify my comment from above:

I said I don't see them adding any HD until the sats are up and running, but I didn't say (or add to that) that it would also have to wait until the MPEG4 was fired up. MAYBE we will be 3 - 4 much requested national HD like ESPN2, TNT, TMC, etc.

D* needs to get more HD channels cause at the moment they are the worst choice if you really want HD.

In my opinion:
1st choice is voom .. they just got more if it although the quality of those channels is suspect from what I hear. Cons: still need antenna for local HD.
2nd choice is cable.. unless you have a crappy provider they offer the same HD channels D* has expect for Universal HD. They also offer TNT-HD, 2 INHD channels and of course locals in HD. Cons: analog channels are hideous.
3rd choice is Dish, I only say this cause they have Tnt-HD, which I think most people (especially NBA fans) want.
4th choice.. what else is left... D*. But not for long :)

I have read that an HD MPEG2 channel takes 2.5 times the amount of bandwidth of an HD MPEG4 channel. If DirecTV were to start broadcasting ESPN2HD and TNTHD now in MPEG2, that would take the same bandwidth as 5 HD MPEG4 channels. If DirecTV added more MPEG2 HD channels now I wouldn't think they would shut it off the same time they starting broadcasting in MPEG4. There would be a transition period until everyone has the new hardware which means they would be using even more bandwidth to show the same HD channel in MPEG2 and MPEG4.

That's why I believe DirecTV would wait to add more HD channels until they are ready to do MPEG4 and anyone who wants to get the new HD channels will need to get the new hardware.

Chris

So why hasn't the new hardware for the customer started already. Every unit they sell now they have to replace. At a minimum if the stb isn't ready they could changeover on the dishes today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.