where precisely is the voom satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

earthgess

Original poster
May 13, 2004
I live on Long Island. Zipcode 11779
40.8 north 73.11 west

I have d-tv HD and seem to have a signal problem with trees, and i fear it may get worse as the spring bloom of leaves grows.
sat A: 82%
sat b: 79-84%
satc: 60-68%

if i look east of the dish the sky is clear of trees. i need a precise heading to find the VOOM bird and see if it is an option.
-sg

Mr. Short Term Memory

Dude, I think that Rainbow 1 is at 61.5, pretty much the same as D*.

Your exposure from L.I would be mostly South and just a little SE.

Let the masses correct me.

CMc

StingyScotsman said:
Dude, I think that Rainbow 1 is at 61.5, pretty much the same as D*.

Your exposure from L.I would be mostly South and just a little SE.

Let the masses correct me.

CMc

The DirecTV satellites are at 101, 110, and 119*SW. The Voom satellite is at 61.5*SE. As you can see, that's a 40-60* difference. To say that the Voom dish will be pointing in the same direction is dead wrong. They will be pointing roughly in a V-shape as compared from behind.

earthgess said:
I live on Long Island. Zipcode 11779
40.8 north 73.11 west

From Long Island the satellite is a little bit east of due south, at an elevation of about 45 degrees over the horizon.

Thanks Cameron!

When I installed DirectTV for friends and family, I was SURE that the bird was a little west of Texas. I had read threads that said both birds were hovering around 61.5 (East of Florida) and I thought I was losing my mind.

I'd also seen pictures of dishes on people's roofs where the Voom dish and *other* dish were running parallel. Maybe it wasn't DirectTV.

(Hence, "Mr. Short Term Memory.")

But Dude! "Dead wrong?" How about a qualified "half-wrong?"

I thought there was a website that let you plug in your zipper and it gave this info?
I'm close to making the call, and live about 30mi West of Boston, and I need to check the line-of-sight before hand, as I live in a heavily wooded area.

Lob

Here is a quick way to find the azimuth and the elevation of the Rainbow-1 bird: LyngSat SatTracker
Just click on your approximate location on the map.

I just found Satellite Finder v4.2...freeware. Takes 2 secs to install it, works great.
So for me, the bird is at 181deg magnetic, elevation of 40deg.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts