where precisely is the voom satellite

earthgess

Original poster
May 13, 2004
I live on Long Island. Zipcode 11779
40.8 north 73.11 west

I have d-tv HD and seem to have a signal problem with trees, and i fear it may get worse as the spring bloom of leaves grows.
sat A: 82%
sat b: 79-84%
satc: 60-68%

if i look east of the dish the sky is clear of trees. i need a precise heading to find the VOOM bird and see if it is an option.
-sg

Mr. Short Term Memory

Dude, I think that Rainbow 1 is at 61.5, pretty much the same as D*.

Your exposure from L.I would be mostly South and just a little SE.

Let the masses correct me.

CMc

StingyScotsman said:
Dude, I think that Rainbow 1 is at 61.5, pretty much the same as D*.

Your exposure from L.I would be mostly South and just a little SE.

Let the masses correct me.

CMc

The DirecTV satellites are at 101, 110, and 119*SW. The Voom satellite is at 61.5*SE. As you can see, that's a 40-60* difference. To say that the Voom dish will be pointing in the same direction is dead wrong. They will be pointing roughly in a V-shape as compared from behind.

earthgess said:
I live on Long Island. Zipcode 11779
40.8 north 73.11 west

From Long Island the satellite is a little bit east of due south, at an elevation of about 45 degrees over the horizon.

Thanks Cameron!

When I installed DirectTV for friends and family, I was SURE that the bird was a little west of Texas. I had read threads that said both birds were hovering around 61.5 (East of Florida) and I thought I was losing my mind.

I'd also seen pictures of dishes on people's roofs where the Voom dish and *other* dish were running parallel. Maybe it wasn't DirectTV.

(Hence, "Mr. Short Term Memory.")

But Dude! "Dead wrong?" How about a qualified "half-wrong?"

I thought there was a website that let you plug in your zipper and it gave this info?
I'm close to making the call, and live about 30mi West of Boston, and I need to check the line-of-sight before hand, as I live in a heavily wooded area.

Lob

Here is a quick way to find the azimuth and the elevation of the Rainbow-1 bird: LyngSat SatTracker
Just click on your approximate location on the map.

I just found Satellite Finder v4.2...freeware. Takes 2 secs to install it, works great.
So for me, the bird is at 181deg magnetic, elevation of 40deg.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts