Interested in VOOM - a few Questions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cyberized

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Beaverton, Oregon
Hi,
I have been "lurking" around here for sometime, great DBS Site, reading alot here and other places about VOOM - decided to register here today and ask a couple questions.
I live in the Portland OR area. I am presently with DISH, for about 7 years now, but beng a senior on fixed income can barey afford just one Satellite Service and I don't have an HDTV yet - but plan to purchase one probably first of next year. Presently use a 36" 4x3 Toshiba. I see they are offering a GREAT deal to NEW VOOM subscribers and they seem to now be offering most of the better Channels that I presently receive from DISH - except Fox Sports NW (which I'd dearly miss). I am only 4 miles or so from most of my Locals BUT in the past I tried several different outside and inside methods and was never satisfied with my oTA Signals here - finally, broke down and now pay DISH for them. I wonder IF VOOM's oTA Antenna would be any different? Would my PQ all the way around be a good as my DISH?
I am in NO hurry.......and do hope that VOOM continues to allow new subs to basically get started with them for free - does anyone know if this promotion might end prior to 2005 (before I buy an HDTV)?

Please share your thoughts about my situation etc????

Thanks Michael

Hi Micheal and welcome to the Voom Forum. I live in the Portland Metro area (Woodburn) and have Voom. I think your OTA issues are that you are too close to the towers and are probably experiencing a lot of multipath where the signals bounce around a lot and you pick up reflections. Where are you exactly in Portland?

The best antenna to use for your situation is probably a Silver Sensor, you can use it indoors, it is very small and works wonders. Your other issue may be line of sight to the satellite. can you see Mt Jefferson from your house without any obstruction? If so, you can probably get it.

The PQ, on average, is better than Dish. The HD channels on your TV will look awesome. I don't know about the promotion, but the current $0 lease is a great option.

Go here for local reception issues.

TKS Darrell,
I live in the "heart" of Beaverton in a Mobile Home - noted for not being indoor antenna friendly I'm told. I tried amped rabbit ears; a TERK clamp on your Dish setup, and even old ribbon type cable run outside and still had to constantly adjust etc. Can't see Jeffy from here - but not many trees etc. obstructing signals here. Get STRONG DISH signal here.
I will research the antenna you recommend on the WEB - would be great to find one that woud work well in my Mobile even IF I stay with DISH - could then stop having to pay $5.99 mo for locals.
Can only afford oNE system.

TKS Michael

If you go outside and stand in front of your Dish dish, face South and extend your left arm to about the 9:48 position of the clock, you will see where you have to look for the Voom satellite. It is also at a very low angle in the sky. If you have an 11 degree unobstructed slope to the 9:48 position of the minute hand on a clock, you should be ok. Be aware that during rain, you will most likely lose the satellite since it is so low in the sky. Being retired, if you watch a lot of TV, you may not be too happy. I have a 24" dish and still lose the signal with heavy rain, though it's not normally for a very long period. At least you still have the OTA locals if you lose the sat signal.

BTW, what exactly did you make your cat's hat out of? That's cool! :cool:

Michael you must be aware that the VOOM box is only able to pick up digital over the air signals. It is unable to decode analog OTA signals. Make sure all the stations are offering a digital feed and you can get it.

Thanks everyone for the good feedback - I was hoping that VOOM would be the best and most economical method for me to eventually get HDTV; but after now learning that their Satellite can be very touchy about yeiding a constant viewable signal for those in Duck Country - - - I guess I am going to have to wait and hope for another alternative. Do you know IF VOOM plans to put up another Satellite that would give a better signal to people on the West Coast?
DISH and DTV - I hate it, because you have to ay out BIG bucks for a new receiver and then another $10 a month for alousy 3-4 channels. Comcast is the cheapest for their HDTV - BUT - their charges for everything else puts them qute abit higher than the Satellite Companies.

TKS Michael

Micheal, you might hold off until November when Voom comes out with the new 30" elliptical dish. At this time they will be converting to WM9, firing up some new transponders on a leased satellite and should have space for much more programming. The 30" dish will give you a much more stable signal during rain, but still will not be as good as Dish is for you currently.

Thanks ALOT Darrell for all your help here - GLAD to hear about them coming out with a larger dish etc. in the future, that is GOOD! I will kick back and continue to follow along here and maybe will be able to go with VOOM in the future.

TKS Michael

You're welcome Micheal, I hope we can get you onboard eventually, Voom is awesome. At least for the next 5 months we don't have to worry too much about rain around here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts