where r hd locals for wichita falls lawton??

soonerfan11

Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
i saw on here somewhere, so i thought, that wichita falls tx / lawton ok would recieve local network channels in hd on nov 19th.. Well i'm in that market in Altus OK and my locals r still not in HD.. and i have D* 722 vip box and 2 other hd boxes as well.. what do i need to do??

Only KAUZ, the CBS channel in Wichita Falls, got added to 61.5° in HD.

Pretty lame "addition" of our market. One of a growing number of markets to get only one measly channel of local HD added.

Meanwhile D* is doing a MUCH BETTER job at adding HD locals. They added six markets today. Five of those markets saw all four of their major network affiliates added in HD. The El Paso market had 3 local HD channels added. That blows away these single channel additions E* is doing. It's just too bad D* doesn't offer local channels at all in the Wichita Falls, TX / Lawton, OK DMA.

You need to get a second dish and point it at 61.5 degrees. and then you will get the KAUZ-HD and the rest will be standard. I don't know if they are gong to remove your local channels from satellite 129 or not.

I think E* would anger a lot of people in this region if they removed the MPEG-2 SD local channels for this DMA from 129°. Most people in this viewing market don't have dishes pointed to 61.5° (much less to 72° and 77° for that matter).

If you have a dish pointing to 61.5 channel 5151 will give you KAUZ in HD, also it maps down to 6-00 (note the HD in the guide). Apparently Dish and NBC/FOX/ABC must have had a falling out in the deal. Perhaps this is why the market was delayed so long, the stations must have decided they wanted more money for their HD feeds, Dish just gave up and put up one signal. The others are on 61.5 also now, but in SD.

You do not have to have a new smartcard to see these locals, but you need VIP receivers since they are MPEG-4 SD/HD.

Essentially new installs for the market will probably all be on eastern arc.

If I was the GM or sales manager at KAUZ, I'd advertise the advantage that station has in being the only Texoma station carried in HD on Dish Network. I would especially tell that to anyone who was a potential advertiser on KAUZ. More people are going to see that station in HD than any of the other local channels.

This situation reminds me of the time when KSWO in Lawton wouldn't allow Dish to carry its local channel feed. The other stations in Wichita Falls started getting more local ad money from Lawton businesses as a result. Eventually the folks at KSWO pulled their heads out of their behinds.

I'll tell you all this, that KAUZ HD on Dish network has outstanding picture quality, I also called KFDX 2 times, but they did not return my calls. In my opinion it should be the TV station not Dish paying them to have the channels carried, just think of how much advertising the TV stations would be picking up.

The only thing we all could do is write nexstar in the Dallas office and complain, if the problem is a disagreement going on here. I also agree that most people don't know whats going on period when it comes down to HD in Wichita Falls.

One of the big problems is that if you buy a HD TV, and your not mechanically inclined it is probably hooked up wrong, one man told me that they wanted $250.00 to hook up his new TV he had bought locally. I'm willing to help anyone that needs help, I have been working on satellite systems since the C-Band days.

Last edited:
I suspect one of the reasons to, finally, put the stations on 61.5 even with just 1 HD uplink is due to new customers, even SD customers, they can just point them to the EA and hopefully not have to worry about the dish side in the future, even when they upgrade to HD.

As a current customer, it will require a new dish at 61.5 or a whole new dish (which, right now, Dish isn't offering to existing customers).

NBC and CBS are the ones I need over dish the most, since with my antenna, sometimes KAUZ doesn't come in well. Some show earlier this week, again, was unwatchable. (this could be KAUZ, maybe next year signal strength will go up).

i got a fast response.

Thanks for asking. I too have DISH and was wondering the same thing. I was told by DISH that they are bringing all local stations on in HD but they only have KAUZ done at this time. I have asked our engineers to call our tech contact at DISH to find out what is going on and a timeline for getting KSWO, KFDX, and KJTL on in HD. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
Julie Pruett

I e-mailed management at KDFX and KSWO about the issue. I got a response from KFDX.

Their Dish Network tech claimed they couldn't pick up KAUZ in HD. I sent another response about the need for current Dish Network customers in our area to get a wing dish installed to pick up 61.5°. From what I gathered, none of our market's stations are doing anything to prevent Dish Network from carrying the HD channels from all four network affiliates.

On the bright side, KFDX and KJTL are planning to start broadcasting their HD signals at full power sometime in December. Hopefully the signal boost will be more than enough for me to pick up those HD channels via the outside antenna.

KFDX signal....

I'm in the Lawton viewing area. I've just got SD recievers (and TV) at this point though.

I'd love input from others though on a problem I'm having. KFDX (Channel 3 NBC) for me has about a quarter second or so audio delay vs the video on their standard defintion signal.

Could someone verify it's not my TV?/signal? I contacted the station and their "chief engineer" said that I need to install an antenna and recieve the staiton over the air.

Anything I can do on my end (other than my current solution of not watching KFDX).

Forwarded Email follows:

Ed,

We noted the problem almost a year ago with Dish Network.

The problem is not in the signals but is being caused in their higher end HD receivers.

The problem is not limited to local channels; around the country various channels are affected.

Dish has been working with the manufacturers of the equipment for at least 8 months now.

The cause is a software problem and the programmer has not been able to correct it to date.

The best solution is to watch your local Digital signals via a roof top antenna.

I have added a couple of information sheets for you about over the air digital in this market.

Thanks for your attention.

Terry Porter
Chief Engineer KFDX-TV
Nexstar Broadcasting
4500 Seymour Highway
Wichita Falls, Texas 76309
Tel: 940-691-0003
Fax: 940-689-0326
tporter@nexstar.tv

Goalied,

I have a Dish Receiver 622, and not having any problems with the sound at the present time, but what you can do is hold in your power button and reset your satellite receiver.

KFDX will have a report on thier new equipment they received today, looks like there overhauling the whole station. Remember now it's on the 10:00 pm news tonight (11/25/2008).

Dish will put a Wing dish in for $99.00 no contract, $59.00 with a 2 year commitment, that's what my neighbor told me tonight as he had one put in today, but maybe if your a good customer they may not charge you anything, but if you want the local channels from Wichita Falls and Lawton your going to have to have a satellite dish pointed at 61.5.

That's only if Dish Network ever carries those remaining channels in HD. I'm not paying $99, $59 and/or re-upping my 2 year contract just to get channel 6 in Wichita Falls in HD. I'll only go through that if/when Dish has our ABC, NBC and FOX affiliates included with the CBS station all in HD.

I can receive KSWO in Lawton just fine OTA in HD. Once Nexstar finishes installing that new transmission equipment of theirs and fires it up I may be able to get KFDX and KJTL in HD over the air as well.

Even if I have to buy a better quality outdoor antenna (something along the lines of a ClearStream 4) that's still going to be a better deal than spending nearly as much just to get one local HD channel via satellite. Amazon.com is selling them for under $100 -with the J mount included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts