Where there's a need, soon there will be a gadget-

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I recently got a new car. It's a Ford Escape with Ford Sync and Navigation. It also has a rear view video camera with backup sensors But it only works in reverse. The Navigation system doesn't allow you to enter an address unless you are in Park. It has a video input to the screen but that also is blacked out unless in Park. In my research, I find every owner of these great gadgets in cars today complain about being disabled when in drive. Yeah Yeah, I know all about but it's unsafe to enter an address while driving. It's unsafe to dial a phone number while driving. It's unsafe. It's unsafe blah blah blah. If you want to debate that go to the PIT please. Here. Let's just stick to the gadgets and technology, OK?

So, where there's a need there is a gadget and I found it. A bit of history- In the old days when the manufacturers felt they needed to do their good deed for society, they added a simple interlock switch to the gear shift or added a motion detector so it shut down the system when you were moving. That was an easy remedy as removing the switch was easy. Today the interlocks are much more complicated. They tie into a central computer and use some sort of logic code to disable various functions in the radio/nav/BT package.
But, along comes a little gadget that not only allows you to bypass the disconnects using existing switches on your steering wheel, you can also add additional video inputs to display on your screen, enable calling with your BT connection, enable address input to the Navigation. Add POI as needed while driving, or remove them. Even add 2 additional video inputs to the screen and select them from an existing button on the steering wheel. Cool!

The device is called the "Lockpick" The company makes them for different cars so you have to carefully select your car and model to get the correct one that plugs into your car's computer on the back of the screen. It consists of a wiring harness with plugs that connect to the computer and the existing harness connector, and a control module that allows additional video inputs, a USB connection to update the software as further developments come along, and a set of dip switches where you select the options you want to add, such as additional video inputs. All this is plug n play and is stuffed behind the touch screen. Once you set it up and test it, there is no longer any need to access the module. The Lockpick functions are turned on by pushing the call button on the steering wheel and instead of a momentary press which will normally activate your BT calling, you hold the button for 3 seconds and then it has just unlocked all the disconnects. Now you can use the Home button to toggle through the various video inputs while driving. In addition, it enables all the Navigation stuff that gets locked off when the shifter is out of Park.

This device will permit your passenger to enter way points and POI's, be able to access some of the other features of Ford Sync too.

One cool use of this is to turn on your home security cameras at home through your smart phone and then observe and select the different cameras to full screen from the touch screen in your car. Or, access your Sling adapter from your car's screen. (Note- this will use lots of data on your cell phone account) Or, you can just add another car camera or DVD player.

There are no wires to cut or splice, nothing to remove from the factory. But, you do need to remove the snap in dash bezel around the radio touch screen to get to the back to plug it in. Installation and setup takes about 15 minutes on my Ford Escape Titanium. There are many YT videos that explain how to remove the dash and molding without damaging anything.

Check it out to see what they have for your car's make and model: http://www.coastaletech.com/

I always thought it was stupid to have car navigation/menus disabled when in motion. At least they could have a sensor so that if someone is sitting in the passenger seat it would work. Now the driver just has to fish out their phone and use that instead... Yet another reason not to buy the car navigation system!

Interesting. Not sure I want to spend $289 for the one for my 2012 Fusion Hybrid, but I might consider it :)
Thanks for the post Don!

There are ways of doing some things with switches and wires too. On my Tundra, I have a switch to turn on the backup camera whenever I want, and someone recently posted a way to disable the "nannies" on the navigation for about 30 seconds with a switch, long enough to enter an address.

Ford Sync claims being offer speak to the navigation and enter an address gets around the problem as you can do that while driving. So far I found this voice recognition system not perfect and causes most time wasted in repeating and repeating the street names. It works OK on names like "Main Street" and or other common words, but not on streets named "Mickelcodly Lane." If the street name isn't spelled exactly, it won't find it. Forcing you to pull over, put the car in Park, and then enter it manually.

mike123abc- you should send that idea into the dealerships. I think it is a good one.

There are ways of doing some things with switches and wires too. On my Tundra, I have a switch to turn on the backup camera whenever I want, and someone recently posted a way to disable the "nannies" on the navigation for about 30 seconds with a switch, long enough to enter an address.

Yes, I read through these too and even those tricks for a Ford Escape 2013 didn't work on my 2014 model. The tricks of 2005-2009 vintage used a way to ground the sensing parking brake wire that worked but those ideas fail on today's nav systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)