Where to buy DPP44 power inserter?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I have a family member with a DPP44 that just had a power inserter die. The DPP44 is running a 622 and two 322's with 61.5, 110, and 119.

Last night it gave the "switch error" message and a check switch didn't pass. I disconnected the power inserter, did a check switch, and everything worked. Reconnected the inserter and it failed again.

I've got a temporary fix by removing the power inserter - but would rather protect the receivers and have one in there. Anyone know where they sell them? Will contacting Dish get me anywhere?

Thanks!

Just run the 622 off port 2 of the 44, and the 322's off of 3 and 4. leave the inserter on port 1 with no reciver hooked to it. A new inserter will probably not fix your problem, it is most likely a signal loss problem. Going through the separator and inserter might be too much loss for the reciever. Add a couple of diplexors and they rarely work.

But where will the 44 get its power? The power enters port 1.

The inserter is there because the power available from the receivers isn't adequate to power the 44 reliably for the long haul. There are plenty of discussions about that in these threads. If the OP has DHPP, he should start with a call to Dish. Perhaps it would be worth a call to add DHPP for a month to get the unit swapped out for next to nothing...

If its lease equipment, or if owned for less than a year, call Dish and ask for technical support. Tell them what you've done and they will probably agree with you and send you another Power Inserter, and just bill the account a few dollars for shipping - maybe not.

No, it's not signal loss. Signal is in the low to mid 80's on most TP's. Cables are terminated well.

I'm 100% sure it's the power inserter that's fried. In which case bhelms is is correct, it will not work in that config. The power comes on port 1. Right now the receivers are powering it, but that's not desirable for the long run.

The 622 and the first 322 are leased. The other 322 is owned. The DPP44 is owned.

If you have a VOM, you can check if the inserter is ok by testing it Power output. You should get 18 volts dc. The signal meter on the reciever means very little. Most of the time you will get faulty switch reads from line-loss, not low signal on the recievers meter. The inserter should put out 18 volts regardless if a reciever is connected or not. I personally wouldnt use a reciever to power up the 44 switch cause it over tax your power-supply on the reciever and cause it to fail or worse start a fire.
I did substitute a legacy 44 inserter for a DP44 and it worked just fine but dish would probably advise against it. Your simpelist solution and maybe the most economical would be to call dish, order the protection plan, and setup a service call. Or if your adamant, have the CSR set you up to UPS a new inserter and try that 1st. You will be required to send back the old one.

But where will the 44 get its power? The power enters port 1.

The inserter is there because the power available from the receivers isn't adequate to power the 44 reliably for the long haul. There are plenty of discussions about that in these threads. If the OP has DHPP, he should start with a call to Dish. Perhaps it would be worth a call to add DHPP for a month to get the unit swapped out for next to nothing...
I actually ment to leave the inserter connected to port 1, sorry if I caused more confusion.

If you have a VOM, you can check if the inserter is ok by testing it Power output. You should get 18 volts dc. The signal meter on the reciever means very little. Most of the time you will get faulty switch reads from line-loss, not low signal on the recievers meter. The inserter should put out 18 volts regardless if a reciever is connected or not. I personally wouldnt use a reciever to power up the 44 switch cause it over tax your power-supply on the reciever and cause it to fail or worse start a fire.
I did substitute a legacy 44 inserter for a DP44 and it worked just fine but dish would probably advise against it. Your simpelist solution and maybe the most economical would be to call dish, order the protection plan, and setup a service call. Or if your adamant, have the CSR set you up to UPS a new inserter and try that 1st. You will be required to send back the old one.

Yup...no power. Tested it. Guess I'll try calling Dish.

I don't think so. That gadget amplyfies the RF signal between an antenna and receiver.

The Power Inserter provides operating voltage for the DPP-44 which also provides power to the LNBF's.

EDIT:
However, after reading the post before yours... I still believe I'm correct, but I think what the previous poster meant was to buy a power supply, or a gadget that has a power supply that will supply the same volts/amps and most important - duty cycle as the DPP44 Power Inserter.

I would call Dish and ask how much for a power supply so that you will own it; OR
tell them to send you one and you will return it when you terminate service, since they do furnish equipment to customers. After-all, all of this time you have been providing equipment that they would have had to provide. Hell, tell them to send the complete DPP44 and you will return it when you move or terminate service.