Local rep correct?

janedo1586

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
SE Nebraska
I've been waiting to upgrade to HD, but now that I have my new sound system with HDMI, I don't want to wait any longer. Called my local installer today, who performed my initial install and has done all my upgrades since. Told the gal (the installer's wife) I wanted to upgrade to a 722. She tried to talked me out of it! Said "do you really want a 722, 622 is just as good, they changed it so it has more capacity, extra $20 a month isn't worth it for the channels you get, and you'll need a Dish 1000.2 which is an extra $60". I thought the 622 had a lower recording capacity...substantially lower. Has this changed? Since I have a Superdish, do I really need a new dish? HD channels are free for 6 months so I don't care at this point what they cost. She also told me that the 622 won't use an external HD, but that's not what I'm seeing in these forums? If I indeed have to pay for a new dish, I might as well switch to DirecTV, since I wouldn't be saving any money by staying with Dish Network, and the programming on DTV would actually be cheaper! Also, if I do decide to switch, what happens to my DishNetwork equipment? I have two leased receivers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You want a 722, It has a larger hard drive, improved chipset, HD Dishonline ability, better HDMI port just to name a few items.

I'm not positive but I would think you could get the 1000.2 for free with the upgrade to Dish HD as you need 129 for the programming.

I'm guessing they've got some 622s "in stock" that they want to get rid of.
Said "do you really want a 722, 622 is just as good, they changed it so it has more capacity, extra $20 a month isn't worth it for the channels you get, and you'll need a Dish 1000.2 which is an extra $60"
It does have more storage capacity. The $20 applies to either the 622 or 722. A Superdish won't help you as it's looking at 105' or 121' (in addition to 110' and 119'). You need a dish that looks at 129' also, hence the 1000.x she mentioned. Note though: The dish upgrade should be FREE with the upgrade to the 622 or 722 receiver. Call Dish directly and see what they say.

Exactly both the 622 and the 722 support External Hard Drives. The 722 has a larger internal drive and will support HD Dishonline whereas the 622 is limited as I understand it to SD Dishonline.

Well from my read of the forums the D* HR-20/HR-21 has many more rough edges in operation and seems to still have some problems. I was just reading on another forum where a 622 user was thinking of switching and after 10 minutes at a friends house with a HR-20 his wife and kids both said no thanks.

At this point in time the 622 and 722 work better more reliably and of course if you need OTA are the choice.

The HR-20 has a OTA tuner and record 2 events at one time. The HR-21 which is replacing it has no OTA tuner. The D* can play or view one thing at a time. The D* HD DVR if used with a external ESata can not use the internal drive when the ESata drive is plugged in and all timers and favorites etc. need to be redone.

The 622/722 have a OTA tuner and can record two satellite events and a digital channel from OTA. The 622/72 can feed a HDTV and a SDTV with different things at the same time. The E*HD DVRs can use the internal and external at the same time allowing archiving to different External drives.

To me it sounds as if the person you talked to has too many 622 in stock.

I intended to call Dish direct, just thought maybe I could get the upgrade done faster if I went through the local installer. She actually told me they don't have the 622s in stock. Said she can't order them unless they are sold. I'll call Dish and see what they can do. Thanks for the info, everyone!!

I have had the 722 for almost 3 months. It is a workhorse and performs flawlessly. It stores 300 hrs. of SD programs & 50 hrs. of HD prog. I am thorougly enjoying this DVR.

Called Dish. They'll be here Monday to install my new 722 and move the existing dual tuner DVR to replace the single receiver that I've had since my initial install so my kids no longer have to fight over programming. No charge for the new dish. That's probably the last time I call the local guy.

Last edited:
Called Dish. They'll be here Monday to install my new 722 and move the existing dual tuner DVR to replace the single receiver that I've had since my initial install so my kids no longer have to fight over programming. No charge for the new dish. That's probably the last time I call the local guy.

WHAT!!! Monday!!!.. I called for my upgrade last monday and I can't get installed until next Friday..!!!
When that guy shows up at your house you tell him I was before you and send him to my house...

:D

LOL! I was shocked when he said Monday too. I was expecting it to take at least a week. If I'd called Thursday night, I probably could have had it done today. He said they install Monday through Saturday. I will LMBO if the local guy shows up, but I'm guessing it will be someone from out of town. I can't wait!! :D

I've been waiting to upgrade to HD, but now that I have my new sound system with HDMI, I don't want to wait any longer. Called my local installer today, who performed my initial install and has done all my upgrades since. Told the gal (the installer's wife) I wanted to upgrade to a 722. She tried to talked me out of it! Said "do you really want a 722, 622 is just as good, they changed it so it has more capacity, extra $20 a month isn't worth it for the channels you get, and you'll need a Dish 1000.2 which is an extra $60". I thought the 622 had a lower recording capacity...substantially lower. Has this changed? Since I have a Superdish, do I really need a new dish? HD channels are free for 6 months so I don't care at this point what they cost. She also told me that the 622 won't use an external HD, but that's not what I'm seeing in these forums? If I indeed have to pay for a new dish, I might as well switch to DirecTV, since I wouldn't be saving any money by staying with Dish Network, and the programming on DTV would actually be cheaper! Also, if I do decide to switch, what happens to my DishNetwork equipment? I have two leased receivers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
To my knowledge HD upgrades do not pay very well to retailers. I can tell you this. As a tech I get screwed on HD upgrades. They usually involve the same amount of work a a full install but at a little more than one third the pay. The same may very well apply to retailers. I have never doen a retail HD upgrade.. BTW our DMA requires a D-1000 plus (4 orbital slots)There are sellers on this board who can better inform you than I. But I do think this may be the case. In the case of the retailer that has done your past work, it may have been better if they were honest with you.
722's are quite a bit more pricey than the 622. On our retail side we keep just a couple for new connect sales. In fact the 622's are costly enough as it is. Again we have them in stock just for new connect sales.
In this situation you are probably better off going through Dish for this one. Sorry.

I'm guessing they've got some 622s "in stock" that they want to get rid of.
It does have more storage capacity. The $20 applies to either the 622 or 722. A Superdish won't help you as it's looking at 105' or 121' (in addition to 110' and 119'). You need a dish that looks at 129' also, hence the 1000.x she mentioned. Note though: The dish upgrade should be FREE with the upgrade to the 622 or 722 receiver. Call Dish directly and see what they say.
The Dish 1000.2 or Plus upgrade is $59 regardless. The receiver has an upgrade fee as well.

In this case, the customer will have to pay for the receiver upgrade, which I don't think he's concerned with. As part of that upgrade, he/she gains additional channels which are likely on a satellite he/she doesn't see currently. In that case, Dish will provide the req'd dish FOR FREE.

If he/she simply wanted a Dish 1000.x (why would they though ??), yes, that alone would cost money.

On a similar note, I have AT250. If I really wanted the channels that are on 61.5 and I called Dish and insisted on receiving them, is the add'l dish not free to me also ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)