Where to Buy HomePlug Unit

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
I would like to install a HomePlug unit near my router so I can check out DISH Online on my 722. Anyone know where I can purchase this and how much it costs?

Plenty on ebay or online. Just look for something usually called a Powerline adapter.

Just make sure its HomePlug 1.0 or 1.1 compatile (14Mbps or 85Mbps). There are some HomePlug AV adapters out there that are faster (ie 200Mbps), but are not compatible with the HomePlug chip thats built into the 722.

I picked up one at the local Radio Shack. It came with a remote wireless adapter, which I put in my son's playroom to 'fix' the problem of his Nintendo WII getting poor wireless signal.

I'm not Cyclone but you don't need the utility software for it to work, as you have said it works great, that is up to you if you want the extra stuff.

With my system set-up, I have network magic. I needed to personally install it to allow that mac address to be allowed, or else it wouldnt have worked. Once I got that address. Worked great. Maybe there was somewhere in the 722 that said that address also, but the utility worked for that.

I'm not ke4est, but I do agree that the utility is optional. Its only really useful to change the password that is used between the homeplug devices. Since the 722/622 password is fixed to be "HomePlug" there really isn't any sense in changing it on the plid (Ie Network adapter).

It is kinda useful for trouble shooting and verifying what other devices the PLID is detecting or not detecting. Its also useful for finding out the MAC address of the 722. But one a 722 successfully leases and IP address, its MAC address is shown in its menus, as well as on the routers dhcp log/table.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)