Where to Buy New C Band Dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TreyWingbat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Planet Earth
I realize there are plenty of used C Band dishes available throughout the US and Canada, but are there places that still sell new 10 or 12 footers? Since SAMI went out of business, many places state they don't sell any large dishes. I'm located in Canada, so Canadian sites would be preferred if anyone knows of any good ones.

I think Mike Kohl mentioned something about buying the SAMI stuff and was planning on starting something back up. Not saying that he is the only source but he is a wealth of information and i'm sure can point you in the right direction. I'm sure there are others out there so maybe someone else will post them :)

I keep checking Mike's site for updates on the mesh dish's as I would like a 10 footer myself. I would also be happy to help him get out the word on the new dishes as well. American made... I like it!

I had to ask:

I realize there are plenty of used C Band dishes available throughout the US and Canada, but are there places that still sell new 10 or 12 footers?
Why ?

Is this academic interest?
Do you need a fleet of them?
Are you actually going to spend the money on even one?

If you are made of money, try General Dynamics, Prodelin Division.
Also, check with DH Satellite.
Both manufacture big dishes in the USA.
You didn't ask for mesh, and these aren't! ;)

iPhone 4

Last edited:
I just need one. I'm interested in backhaul / wildfeeds on C Band. I get some on Ku, and have optimized my setup there... now it's time to move onto C Band. And yes, I would spend the money on a new one (why else would I ask).

Thanks for the replies. I think I would want to go with mesh. Mike Kohl did respond after I contacted him and he told me that mesh dish production is still several weeks away. He told me that SAMI sold their manufacturing equipment to a colleague of theirs, and a new antenna line will indeed be made in Michigan, and marketed through Global Communications and Manhattan Digital.

Good news... Wouldn't mind a new 10 footer myself but shipping is a almost bigger challenge than the price... Used ones are still around; I will be looking at a 10 footer next week might post a picture if I get the current owner to send me one. Will keep an eye on Mike's web site though...

Scott Greczkowski said:
I keep checking Mike's site for updates on the mesh dish's as I would like a 10 footer myself. I would also be happy to help him get out the word on the new dishes as well. American made... I like it!

I can't wait for the day Mike and Jeff say the first run is going. I'm driving up their with a flat bed the biggest one I can rent with out a CDL.

I used a flat bed

I can't wait for the day Mike and Jeff say the first run is going.
I'm driving up their with a flat bed the biggest one I can rent with out a CDL.
An unassembled 10 to 12 foot dish would fit in a full sized pickup truck.
Probably in a full sized van, as well.
Possibly in one of the really large SUVs, or on the roof, but I'd measure first.

I rented a flat bed to transport my two BUDs.
Worked out really well (around $75, if I recall).
Great way to move 1-piece or fully assembled dishes. :)
See my signature for pictures.

iPhone 4

I'll have to sneak it across the border:

"What 12 foot C Band dish border patrol officer??? I don't see one in the back!!!"

I would go with the 7.04 meter torus. (that would be a crazy AMEX statement)

I wonder what shipping would run for the 10 footer?

I appreciate all the applies.

The one thing I would like to point out though is that I have searched online for new C Band dishes myself, and have stumbled across many pages. But the pages are out of date, because when I do contact the webpage owners they tell me they no longer have things in stock due to the manufacturer not producing the dishes listed, and their site needs to be updated. So please try to post relevant information. Thanks.

Well, I've done some more searches, and found some more sites that haven't updated their webpages, which is too bad. I guess a lot of distributors relied on SAMI, and since they are no longer around, they haven't updated things, but they should have. I know it is tough to tell which sites are updated unless you really ask a specific question about stock.

But here is a list of what I think I'd need to get a C Band system up and going:

10 or 12 foot C-Band dish and pole mount
Chaparral 1329 dual feed horn
2 Norsat 8115 C-Band (one for each horizontal and vertical signals, installed into the dual feed horn)
G-box for movement
Actuator (what size for 12 foot dish?)
Ribbon cable

I already have an AZ Box Premium Plus HD receiver. I wouldn’t need another receiver, correct? The Motorola 922 is used for HITS programming – correct? And the maps have to be updated for it anyways as the service is not what it used to be?

Is there anything else I would need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)