where to complain?

antonio c

Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
I have two 811;s from dish, that are both inferior to my old dtv receiver. The blacks are horrible, I leave them on 24/7 so they contantly have to be updated. I see lines at the top and bottom occasionally.
Where do you complain to?
I see their is probably no need to agree to a swap until they have the issues resolved, but I would like to go on the record with a complaint.
thanks

antonio c said:
I have two 811;s from dish, that are both inferior to my old dtv receiver. The blacks are horrible, I leave them on 24/7 so they contantly have to be updated. I see lines at the top and bottom occasionally.
I see their is probably no need to agree to a swap until they have the issues resolved, but I would like to go on the record with a complaint.
thanks

Antonio,

You say your 811s are on 24/7 so they constantly update. That is incorrect. You must turn the receiver off to obtain updates. You must also be in the "accept updates without asking" (if you wish) mode. You will see black lines top and bottom occasionally if the program, usually a movie, is in Original Aspect Ratio and it is 2:35. The blacks are a known problem and are supposed to be fixed in the next update, 2.68. We shall see.

antonio c said:

Beats me. I haven't been able to penetrate the "next software release will fix it" defense. This epic is now up to "P268 will fix it".

Keith.

I didn't make myself clear. Sorry.
I said they are on 24/7, so that they have to be updated constantly. Meaning that I have to reboot them constantly when changing channels, to get the info updates.
The lines that I am referring to at top are mixed colors that seem to be where picture does not match the screen, not the black fill in lines.
I have only called customer support when it wouldn't change channels, and they had me reboot a couple of times(different calls, diff times). Now I just reboot myself, w/o calling, but that is annoying to say the least.
is their a complaint email address?
thanks

antonio c said:
I didn't make myself clear. Sorry.
I said they are on 24/7, so that they have to be updated constantly. Meaning that I have to reboot them constantly when changing channels, to get the info updates.
I don't think Bobby made it clear either. You must put the receivers in "Bypass" mode, that is, "turn them off," when you are not using them so that they can update the Guide INFO and take SW updates. There is no good reason to leave them on 24/7. If you do, and they can't update from the satellite, they are going to become "buggy."

The dashed lines you are referring to are a good example. These normally disappear after a single front panel POWER button reboot.

BTW, they must be on a SAT channel (blue LED on) to see the satellite for these updates. If you turn them off when you have the amber LED on (OTA or back-panel input) they will not update.

Complain all you want but it won't change anything about this procedure. All E* receivers work this way.

JohnDoe#2 said:
... You must put the receivers in "Bypass" mode, that is, "turn them off," when you are not using them so that they can update the Guide INFO and take SW updates. ...
Just to clarify: The correct term is "Stand-By Mode" not "Bypass Mode".

921 Wont Stop Recording

Locals and grandfathered distant networks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)