Where will College Gameday be week-by-week for 2008?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
During the college season, College Gameday always makes weekly stops.

I would like you to give your predictions as to where you think the Gameday crew will be each week.

If you want to check for the big games, Google '2008 college football schedule.'

Here are some good links to find out when most of the games occur:

2008 College Football TV Schedule

ESPN - ABC/ESPN Networks 2008 College Football Schedule - College Football

Here are my predictions for each week:

Saturday, August 30th- Alabama vs. Clemson (from Atlanta)- Alabama could be very interesting, and Clemson is a chic sleeper choice

Saturday, September 6th- Miami at Florida- This is really the only choice I can find for that week; if you can find a bigger-sounding game, please contribute.

Saturday, September 13th- Ohio State at USC- Biggest no-brainer.
(BTW, my other possibility was Texas/Arkansas, but the Hogs lost Jones AND McFadden, and I think Texas is overrated this year)

Saturday, September 20th- Georgia at Arizona State- Only other 'duh' choice.

Saturday, September 27th- I'll go with Illinois at Penn State- The Illini look to be very dangerous, and Penn State is an awesome environment for college football. BTW, also keep an eye out on Tennessee/Auburn or Virginia Tech/Nebraska.

Saturday, October 4th- Ohio State at Wisconsin. Two VERY good Big 10 teams, and Camp Randall hasn't had the 'Gameday' experience since 1999. OTOH, Rutgers at West Virginia could be a surprise choice.

Saturday, October 11th- Oklahoma/Texas. Red River Shootout is always a big deal, but also keep an eye on the Tennessee/Georgia or Arizona State/USC games.

Saturday, October 18th- Missouri at Texas- You have a sexy choice in Missouri against a Texas team that could go either way. Also, maybe LSU at South Carolina or Kansas/Oklahoma could get the slot.

Saturday, October 25th- Texas Tech at Kansas. Last year's feel-good story with most of their key starters against an absolutely DANGEROUS Red Raiders team. The only other possibility is Alabama at Tennessee.

Saturday, November 1st- My personal choice is Texas vs. Texas Tech- I would LOVE to see 'Gameday' in Lubbock.

Saturday, November 8th- Alabama at LSU. I know Bama may not have a great year and LSU is in rebuilding mode, but that's the only big-time game on an otherwise weak day of college football.

Saturday, November 15th- I'll go with Ohio State at Illinois. Buckeyes out for revenge against a very potent Illini team in Champaign. The only other possibility is Georgia at Auburn, but Auburn may not be a good team- they've lost too much talent.

Saturday, November 22nd- I know this is when Michigan plays Ohio State, but the Wolverines will not exactly be as good as they were the last time they played at the Horseshoe. I'll predict Boston College at Wake Forest- this could be a surprise game with a lot of stake if all the cards fall right.

Saturday, November 29th- Kansas vs. Missouri (Kansas City). It's the game that will have the most at stake on rivalry week- Auburn at Alabama will not have a ton at stake when it comes to a big bowl game, Georgia Tech is too mediocre to possibly scare Georgia, and Notre Dame/USC- Don't count on the Irish to have more than 5 wins heading into this one.

Saturday, December 6th- It all depends on which conference title game has the most at stake. Maybe, Army/Navy gets the 'Gameday' experience.

Saturday, November 29th- Kansas vs. Missouri (Kansas City). It's the game that will have the most at stake on rivalry week- Auburn at Alabama will not have a ton at stake when it comes to a big bowl game, Georgia Tech is too mediocre to possibly scare Georgia, and Notre Dame/USC- Don't count on the Irish to have more than 5 wins heading into this one.

KU-MU is an FSN telecast. Nearly guaranteed that they won't be there. ABC will have Oklahoma-Oklahoma St. that day.

Florida-Florida St. is a possibility. Dark horse: Bayou Classic (Grambling-Southern at the Superdome).

KU-MU is an FSN telecast. Nearly guaranteed that they won't be there. ABC will have Oklahoma-Oklahoma St. that day.

Florida-Florida St. is a possibility.

Bad choice by ABC there.

OK State is not any good, and Kansas and Missouri will still return many of their players. Why ABC would rather show what's likely a lopsided rout over a meaningful game is beyong me.

Oh, and don't count on Florida/Florida State getting 'Gameday.' The Seminoles are past their prime.

Bad choice by ABC there.

OK State is not any good, and Kansas and Missouri will still return many of their players. Why ABC would rather show what's likely a lopsided rout over a meaningful game is beyong me.

Oh, and don't count on Florida/Florida State getting 'Gameday.' The Seminoles are past their prime.

ABC didn't have a choice. FSN marked the game as one of their priority picks.

Seminoles don't have to be prime time. Only Florida has to be.

Excelent topic.

I note, of course, you pick zero Leastleftovers games. The titanic struggles between Rutgers and Syracuse not to your taste?

Excelent topic.

I note, of course, you pick zero Leastleftovers games. The titanic struggles between Rutgers and Syracuse not to your taste?

I think it has more to do with ESPN's desire to pick the best Big East games and throw them on weeknights. I don't care for the schools' and conference's willingness to move these games.

There's probably a chance that the WVU-USF game on 12/6 could be selected. ESPN will be televising it that day.

I believe Gameday covered the OU-Missouri game last year even though it was on FSN. I seriously doubt Gameday will be anywhere near BC-Wake though. BC will likely be very average this year (losing Matt Ryan will do that) and Wake would have to be undefeated to get ESPN's interest.

On weeks where there is no great matchup, Gameday has been covering non 1-A matchups. Last year they went to Williams College for some game nobody cared about.

According to a couple of website/blogs, Michigan State at California is the Aug 30th location.

Oct. 25- Penn St at Ohio St or Notre Dame at Wahington due to story lines.

All of these conferences that now play on weeknights screw things up as to have "Gameday"
on campus. <cough> Big East<cough>WAC<cough>
It would be nice to see them at a FCS(1AA) school like Appalachian St. or Montana.

According to a couple of website/blogs, Michigan State at California is the Aug 30th location.

Not a good idea. Both teams lost key players (DeSean Jackson and all those wide recievers) and neither team is pegged to be a threat in their conferences.

Oct. 25- Notre Dame at Wahington due to story lines.

Like what? Which once-great program is less past its prime?

KU-MU is an FSN telecast. Nearly guaranteed that they won't be there.

Gameday has originated from sites for games not on ABC before (like some SEC games on CBS and Notre Dame home games on NBC). Certainly, most games are on Disney's networks, but then again given that they have contracts with all 6 BCS conferences, they carry the majority of the top games anyway.

I would think being the network broadcasting is a factor, but I don't think it is as damning as some people indicate. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Missouri and Kansas simply aren't as good this year and an alternative game is more interesting anyway.

Notre Dame vs. Ty Willingham

Yes, but it's a tiny little thing. Both teams will combine for about 9-10 wins. It'll make for a cute storyline, but a small one. That day, it will be ALL about Texas Tech/Kansas and a super QB duel- Reesing vs. Harrell.

BTW, do you think any of my choices are bad predictions for Gameday?

I know you're a Buckeyes fan and the Michigan game is ALWAYS BIG, but the 2008 Wolverines will not at all resemble anything like the last Michigan team that ventured into the Horseshoe.

Saturday, November 1st- My personal choice is Texas vs. Texas Tech- I would LOVE to see 'Gameday' in Lubbock.

You may have to compete with the world's largest outdoor cocktail party that day. Florida vs Georgia in Jacksonville. Especially after what happened last year with the celebration penalties.

You may have to compete with the world's largest outdoor cocktail party that day. Florida vs Georgia in Jacksonville. Especially after what happened last year with the celebration penalties.
No kidding. That game is a big deal. Gameday won't be anywhere near Lubbock this year. Texas Tech sucks. They could lead the nation in offense and be dead last in defense. They won't finish higher than 3rd in their division.

Not a good idea. Both teams lost key players (DeSean Jackson and all those wide recievers) and neither team is pegged to be a threat in their conferences.

Michigan State will be tough and could surprise this year. They have 13 returning starters, including QB Brian Hoyer and RB Javon Ringer. They also have a favorable schedule with Ohio State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Purdue and Iowa at home and a likelihood that Michigan will be down this year. A road win by Michigan State over Cal to start the year could help the Big Ten's tarnished national reputation.

December 6th - Pitt @ UConn for the Big East title. Why not? :)

Oh, and that game is likely to be the ESPN game that night.

You don't know a lot about the history of Clemson do you? They are perpetually overrated. Alabama gave LSU and Georgia, the two best teams in the SEC last year, all they could handle. They'll have no trouble stepping up against Clemson.

Saturday, October 11th- Oklahoma/Texas. Red River Shootout is always a big deal, but also keep an eye on the Tennessee/Georgia or Arizona State/USC games.
LSU at Florida might be a temptation for GameDay, don't you think?

Saturday, October 25th- Texas Tech at Kansas. Last year's feel-good story with most of their key starters against an absolutely DANGEROUS Red Raiders team. The only other possibility is Alabama at Tennessee.
Georgia at LSU?

Saturday, November 8th- Alabama at LSU. I know Bama may not have a great year and LSU is in rebuilding mode, but that's the only big-time game on an otherwise weak day of college football.
No way ESPN passes on Saban's return to Baton Rouge against Miles' defending champs.

You seem to have written LSU off for next year because they lost a few players in key positions. After 5 years in the top 5 in the nation in recruiting they are loaded with talent that can more than make up for what was lost last year. But, as I've said before, you and the rest of college football can just continue to think thay way. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)