Where's the 3D Channels DISH!!???

3D IS the future
I remember hearing/seeing that same phrase approximately half a century ago. 3D was a nice, but short-lived "fad". I expect the same to happen now, but it'll be a more expensive fad this time.

I wonder just how many folks who are saying they don't/won't watch 3D because of the glasses have ever watched 3D on a big screen with glasses? We really enjoy ours. Granted, not many movies out yet but I believe there will be. I have 2 pair of glasses that are labeled Mitsubishi because they came with the Mitsubishi adapter I bought to get ready for maybe some 3D from Dish because Charlie said he wanted 3D on the last Charlie chat. And I have 2 pair of the very same glasses labeled Samsung because they were on sale at Fry's when I got the Mits adapter that was on sale. And I have a Panny 3D Bluray that will output the Mits format. And 3D on an 82", oh yeah buddy.

And if it turns out I wasted $500 for the adapter and 4 pair of glasses so what? We decided long ago we either spend it on us or the daughter-in-law will get it. :p

I wonder just how many folks who are saying they don't/won't watch 3D because of the glasses have ever watched 3D on a big screen with glasses? We really enjoy ours. Granted, not many movies out yet but I believe there will be. I have 2 pair of glasses that are labeled Mitsubishi because they came with the Mitsubishi adapter I bought to get ready for maybe some 3D from Dish because Charlie said he wanted 3D on the last Charlie chat. And I have 2 pair of the very same glasses labeled Samsung because they were on sale at Fry's when I got the Mits adapter that was on sale. And I have a Panny 3D Bluray that will output the Mits format. And 3D on an 82", oh yeah buddy.

And if it turns out I wasted $500 for the adapter and 4 pair of glasses so what? We decided long ago we either spend it on us or the daughter-in-law will get it. :p

That's the problem right there. Not too many of us have $500 (or more) to waste on something that may or may not survive. Glad that you can!

If you enjoy something for which you have spent a lot of money, it is never a waste!

The respondents in the poll cited by CNET have all, indeed, viewed excellent quality 3D images with the glasses, and they were impressed. Remember, those polled did LIKE the 3D and many were enthusiastic about the quality, but that could not overcome the fact that the jump from HDTV to 3D was viewed as one not really necessary (unlike the jump from SD to HDTV) for them to PAY a HIGH price for, remember, the glasses are VERY expensive and, in their minds aren't worth the investment in upgrading the Blu-ray, as well, especially since their HDTV seems to satisfy them.

Keep in mind that most people aren't video-philes and, while they LOVE the 3D quality and will always go their neighbor's for a 3D view now and then, they just find spending that kind of money on TV, for fools. Well, I admit to being close to the fool they think we are. In other words: TV in general isn't that important to them, especially since some already have HDTV, they would rather give the money to the daughter-in-law to spend and think the rest of us our STUPID.

Look at the growth of the whole entertainment ON-LINE right now. A lot of people really do prefer the SD or the inferior HD content steamed, sometimes stuttering, from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, et al., mostly in 720P on their 1080P sets (I bet there are tons of 1080P TV owners who have no idea they can view in 1080P nor know what that is supposed to mean), over the, in general, higher quality, more reliable, and more expensive cable or satellite service. Heck, those folks don't even bother renting Blu-ray for the Blu-ray players they have, a vastly superior experience to anything currently offered on-line, but that would mean spending MORE money on top of the Neflix bill, not attractive to too many, financially.

People will be ready to upgrade in about 8 years :). Until then, they consider the entertainment budget to have been spent and want to attend opera or buy a bigger house or otherwise spend the money on something they think is more important in their lives. Really high quality TV is important to me, but not to the masses, even if they can afford it. I have met many who are fatiged at how quickly the technology changes and resent having to spend more money to get the latest and greatest such as 3DTV. They say, "Enough!" and get off the technology express train and resolve they will live with what they have and enjoy it until sufficient time has passed that they feel in the mood to spend the money to upgrade. So it goes.

Last edited:

+3. Even the OTA broadcasters have sucky compressed video now because of the multiplexing and the money they make from it. I doubt there are many OTA broadcasters who are at 19Mbps on the main HD anymore. Some are multiplexing, but it is closed to the public, so even an OTA with only a .1 could still be running the main HD at fairly low bit rate.

+3. Even the OTA broadcasters have sucky compressed video now because of the multiplexing and the money they make from it. I doubt there are many OTA broadcasters who are at 19Mbps on the main HD anymore. Some are multiplexing, but it is closed to the public, so even an OTA with only a .1 could still be running the main HD at fairly low bit rate.

+4. And we are far from troll's... You (OP) however, have a very low post count. I will say it again. Other carriers have 3D. If you want it, go get it... Don't wait for it to come to you.

Let me help everyone count higher...

+6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what does a low post count have ANYTHING to do with this thread.

All I'm saying Is that It would be nice to at least have a choice to watch 3D channels on Dish Network. Few channels or not.

And one of the channels doing 3D, ESPN, is evaluating whether it is a good idea or not.
From Nov 4. If you have something later please post it.

ESPN Announces Results of Comprehensive 3D Study

“The results from this comprehensive research project support what we have said time and time again – fans have a higher level of enjoyment when viewing 3D. Plus, for advertisers, this study provides good news on the level of fan engagement when viewing 3D ads,” said Artie Bulgrin, senior vice president of ESPN Research + Analytics. “This study will help us continue to develop ESPN 3D as an industry leader for event-based 3D viewing.”
Read the article to see the Key Findings. All positive in my opinion.

I've tried 3D television and while a great novelty, it is not for me personally.

It gives me a headache, most of the limited programming/movie offerings are half baked and I am not one for wearing ridiculous looking glasses while chilling on my couch on a Sunday afternoon drinking beer and watching football with friends.

So, while it would sound like I might be best served by just ignoring 3D, it is an impossibility at this point because we are all going to pay for the few that want it. Why? Because everything now has to be "3D" compatible and thus everything is going to cost more, be it a Blu-ray player, an AVR, a TV, an HDMI cable, a cable or satellite service that offers it.

It is one giant scam.

If Dish starts wasting bandwidth pushing 3D content rather than filling out HD locals and other national HD channels that people actually care about and have cared about for the last decade, I think that would be a big mistake...

So, while it would sound like I might be best served by just ignoring 3D, it is an impossibility at this point because we are all going to pay for the few that want it. Why? Because everything now has to be "3D" compatible and thus everything is going to cost more, be it a Blu-ray player, an AVR, a TV, an HDMI cable, a cable or satellite service that offers it.
Kind of the way some of us feel about all the sports programming we are forced to pay for in order to get the other content we want. :)