Where's the Sling Extender?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is not unique to DISH Network. Watch what happens when just about any new product from any company is released. Many of the first reactions will be complaints about what didn't make it into the finished product (Windows 7 was a relative non-event compared to what was promised) and more often than not, the stock price will drop.
That's true. But the subject here is Dish and what has been promised/announced that has not been delivered. At this moment, DirecTV has a whole house solution that you can have installed. So if that is important to you, you can either hope that someday Dish offers such a choice, or go to the company which offers it. Saying that the Dish solution will be tremendously better than DirecTV's, when Dish doesn't have an option to offer at this time, is worth exactly nothing. If you want to wait and see if they finally offer something more than empty promises, that's your choice.

At this moment, DirecTV has a whole house solution that you can have installed.
For a very long time, DIRECTV HD users have had to build their own distribution systems to share receivers and DVRs via RF modulators. During that entire time period, DISH Network offered their two TV solutions with built-in modulators.

What we're seeing with DIRECTV's WHDS is a leap-frog over DISH's technology to a peer-to-peer setup.

It remains to be seen whether or not DISH Network can beat DIRECTV to the true Whole Home DVR (client-server) punch. It is looking like a very tight race with both hinting at general availability early next year.

DISH had a single wire solution for DVRs at least two or three years before DIRECTV finally bowed their SWiM technology that leapfrogged what dish was using.

Take a look at all the "innovations" that DIRECTV promised at the mid 2000's CES shows and see how many of them just didn't make it. I think you'll find the list at least as long as the list of DISH features that fell short or didn't show.

For a very long time, DIRECTV HD users have had to build their own distribution systems to share receivers and DVRs via RF modulators. During that entire time period, DISH Network offered their two TV solutions with built-in modulators.

What we're seeing with DIRECTV's WHDS is a leap-frog over DISH's technology to a peer-to-peer setup.

It remains to be seen whether or not DISH Network can beat DIRECTV to the true Whole Home DVR (client-server) punch. It is looking like a very tight race with both hinting at general availability early next year.

DISH had a single wire solution for DVRs at least two or three years before DIRECTV finally bowed their SWiM technology that leapfrogged what dish was using.

Take a look at all the "innovations" that DIRECTV promised at the mid 2000's CES shows and see how many of them just didn't make it. I think you'll find the list at least as long as the list of DISH features that fell short or didn't show.
Which part of "Go with what is actually available, not what is promised" don't you understand? I have agreed several times that other companies do the same thing, but my point is that AT THIS TIME DirecTV offers a whole house solution, and Dish has promises. If you want to make decisions based on promises and what might be, that's your choice. But those who do, and then complain because the promises were never made good on are castigated as fools. If I go with DirecTV and sign a 2 year contract, if in 2 years Dish has a better option, I will consider returning. I said before, I'll go with whatever company will give me the best deal with the equipment that best meets my needs. And promises don't do a thing.

caution: DirecTV's whole house solution is NOT all that it's cracked up to be.

I'm sure Dish's solution won't be either. i.e. the ideal situation for me would be that each receiver could record things locally and each receiver could stream that recording to any other receiver... Having just one box be the master puts too many technology limitations on that one box. Limit on streams that can be recorded and limits on streams that can be delivered, space for recording. all sorts of stuff.

what you are describing, is just what the XIP series is supposed to do. you can, after all, have 3 'main' receivers if you want to. that is like a gajillion streams you can record and watch at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)